[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breakout TEs

Brentastic

With so many leagues (2 that I'm in) adjusting their scoring to make the TE worth drafting, I thought it would be beneficial to have a discussion on which TE can break the top 3 for their positiion. I believe the rule emphasis on defensive contact benefited the TEs more last year than WRs. Also, I see quite a few TE capable of having T-Gonz type numbers this year. So, remember, I'm not looking for a solid TE, I'm looking for the sleeper A. Gates of 2005.

I'll start with the most likely TE IMO. Jermaine Wiggins. C-Pep will get his this year without Moss because C-Pep is anelite QB and will have to throw to someone. Burleson can't catch all 30 TDs and Williamson is, well, a rookie.

My second choice is Eric Johnson. The guy pulled in 82 rec. last year but only had 2 TDs. Young QBs that have viable targets at TE tend to throw their way a lot. This seems to be the perfect situation for Johnson to shine. Rookie QB with relatively no gamebreakers at WR with a so-so RB. I look for Johnson to match last years yards but add more TDs.

What about Ben Troupe? I hear Chow's offense involves the TE often,and Bennett is not a proven #1 WR. Calico is coming off 2 knee injuries last year.

Marcus Pollard. New team, who knows, maybe he can have that one last career year before he hangs em' up. We know he has the talent at the position, but will he have the opportunities?

L.J. Smith. With T.O. iffy at this point , Stinkston suffering from alligator arms and Fred-Ex shipped off, L.J. is in a prime position to have a breakout year. We all know McNabb will be in form. Will L.J.?

And my final sleeper TE to have a HUGH year..... Jeb Putz. (ier) The Denver offense under Shanny's influence has always utilized the TE position, however, since Sharpe's departure, they've been going with a TEBC approach. It seems this year it will be all Putz and did you know Shanny hired the TE coach from San Diego that was so influential in the breeding of one Antonio Gates. Long shot, maybe, but worth consideration IMO.

Now of course I skipped your Heaps, Wittens, Shockeys, Clarks and such because I don't really consider them sleepers. But anyone of them has a shot too. Whatchya think? Let's discuss.

peace,

brent

Good stuff. I think the Wiggins choice is a good one--with the Randy ration dead, there should be equal opportunity for all receivers. Furthermore, with Smith gone from the backfield, you have Moore, Moe and Bennett. RBBC in this case could equal TE production as each RB brings different things to the table.

What do you see happening with Heath Miller (PIT) who is a rookie--could he be an impact player right away?

Good stuff. I think the Wiggins choice is a good one--with the Randy ration dead, there should be equal opportunity for all receivers. Furthermore, with Smith gone from the backfield, you have Moore, Moe and Bennett. RBBC in this case could equal TE production as each RB brings different things to the table.

What do you see happening with Heath Miller (PIT) who is a rookie--could he be an impact player right away?

854804[/snapback]

Honestly, I don't follow college football. The only thing I know is he was drafted in the first round, which is pretty good for a TE I suppose. Certainly has a shot, but nothing really to add. Sorry.

Edited by Brentastic

I just read Troupe won't be ready until OCT! :doah: Push Kinney up.

For a pretty deep sleeper, Jolley belongs on this list. New OC Heimerdinger comes to NY with a rep for using the TE extensively. Last year the Titans had three TE's with 25 catches apiece. Jolley could get 80 targets or more, being the only really good TE with hands and some speed on the NYJ's.

And my final sleeper TE to have a HUGH year..... Jeb Putz. (ier)  The Denver offense under Shanny's influence has always utilized the TE position, however, since Sharpe's departure, they've been going with a TEBC approach.  It seems this year it will be all Putz and did you know Shanny hired the TE coach from San Diego that was so influential in the breeding of one Antonio Gates.  Long shot, maybe, but worth consideration IMO.

854800[/snapback]

A homer thought on this....

I don't know why you think this year will be "just Putz" (which, by the way... is my favorite football nickname)...

Denver acquired Steven Alexander, who is old, but is no slouch and can catch a ball.

Also, they've been working out WR Nate Jackson at the TE position. He packed on some extra muscle so he's big enough, with great hands. He will probably get a lot of time at TE as well.

I don't know if they plan on doing 2 TE sets, or if they are going to rotate... but Denver is definitely going to be sending TEs downfield this year, so the position is going to be big.

Honestly, I don't follow college football.  The only thing I know is he was drafted in the first round, which is pretty good for a TE I suppose.  Certainly has a shot,  but nothing really to add.  Sorry.

854805[/snapback]

I am a pretty big college football guy and he was pretty good at Virginia. The comparison I hear made most often is a Todd Heap type of player.

I like Doug Jolley. It's very possible that he has landed in a "break out" situation.

Consider that the Jets passed on the opportunity to draft Heath Miller, instead opting to trade their 1st rounder(26th) for Jolley.

Consider ultra conservative OC Paul Hackett is gone (Jets passed 437 times), to be replaced with OC Mike Heimerdinger from Tennessee (Titans passed 587 times). Heimerdinger has indicated a more wide-open attack can be expected.

Consider that during the previous five seasons as Tennessee's OC, Heimerdinger has gotten the Titans TE's to average 749 receiving yards per season.

Consider the JETS QB. Pennington's strengths are in his decision making and his lights out accuracy when throwing short to intermediate passes. That's the area where a 6'4" 250 lb TE with soft hands, can excel.

Consider that there is no other competition on the JETS roster, for the role of "Pass Catching" TE.

Guest THEbigred

Good posts. IMO:

- Good call on Wiggins. A good sleeper that can be had cheap.

- E Johnson has potential of course, but too visible and will likely be overpriced.

- Speaking of overpriced, Dallas Clark is the poster child for it re. TEs. Too injury prone and too many weapons on the Colts...plus Manning won't even sniff the same kind of production this year as last.

- Troupe? Believe it when I see it, and they have far too many ? marks in general.

- Pollard? He's old and on a team with WRs galore...and a highly unproven QB. Worth a cheap flyer, but hardly top 5 material.

- LJ Smith: you can't be serious. He disappears more than Clark.

- Putizer: good call. He had a quietly respectable year last year (for FF TEs, anyway). The "TEBC" thing is a concern, but I would love him as my TE2.

- Jolley: another great sleeper pick IMO. They're thin at WR and Pennington needs a reliable TE badly, which Jolley can be (I think).

- H Miller: see me in a year or 2. He will have very limited production this year and was overrated going into the draft. Not 1st round material IMO, although PIT did fill a real need.

and I'll add:

- Franks: not a big "sleeper" pick per se, but when I see top 5 TE picks I rarely see his name. A good 2d tier TE who doesn't get many yds but does put up TDs.

- Stevens: a big disappointment so far for this former #1 pick, but he posted career bests in receptions and yds last year....they were still quite modest, but Fauria and I think Mili are both gone now, and I hear he finally seems to have gotten his head together, so well worth a look.

I just read Troupe won't be ready until OCT!  :doah:  Push Kinney up.

For a pretty deep sleeper, Jolley belongs on this list. New OC Heimerdinger comes to NY with a rep for using the TE extensively. Last year the Titans had three TE's with 25 catches apiece. Jolley could get 80 targets or more, being the only really good TE with hands and some speed on the NYJ's.

854820[/snapback]

Good call Rovers. I was actually planning on naming him too, but simply forgot. You're right though, TEN has always had productive TEs, so what's to stop Jolley from having a breakout year. My only concern is, from my recollection, he only had one good year in OAK, and last year was ousted for the up-and-comer with Gates like potential, Teyo Johnson. And Teyo wasn't even a consistent blocker. Anyways, good call.

Homer pick:

I think Cooley in DC at the traditional Gibbs H Back/Tight end position may surprise a lot of people this year. He had 6 tds last year and with the field stretched a bit with the faster receivers, and even modest improvements at QB and overall offense, he may become a serious target.

Edited by skins

- Speaking of overpriced, Dallas Clark is the poster child for it re. TEs.  Too injury prone and too many weapons on the Colts...plus Manning won't even sniff the same kind of production this year as last.

854862[/snapback]

I agree that Dallas Clark is probably overrated by fantasy players. The Colts are still going to use TE sets, meaning that he will still have to share the TE receptions even though Pollard is gone. The Colts have several good TE's looking to lock up that #2 TE spot. Plus, I think Clark continues in his H-back role, and one of the younger guys gets to play the role that Pollard did, which was more of the receiving TE.

As for him being injury prone, I wouldn't go that far. He missed 6 games in '02 with a nasty broken leg. But he only missed one game last year.

I'm not going to say Manning will match his 49 TD's, but the Colts are still going to chuck it around, so who knows how many TD's he'll have.

The Colts are still going to use TE sets, meaning that he will still have to share the TE receptions even though Pollard is gone.  The Colts have several good TE's looking to lock up that #2 TE spot.  Plus, I think Clark continues in his H-back role, and one of the younger guys gets to play the role that Pollard did, which was more of the receiving TE.

854921[/snapback]

Definitely not what I wanted to hear concerning Clark. I thought for sure with Pollard gone and Clark having already shown that he's got good hands and decent speed, he'd be a lock for more targets & receptions. Too bad one of the younger guys is likely to get the role of pass catching TE for the Colts. Who do you see as the front runner there, Captain?

1. Gates

2. Gonzo

3. Witten

4. Heap

5. Wiggins

6. Crumpler

7. Johnson

8. Dallas Clark

9. Shockey

10. Troupe (If he is healthy at the start of the season, he probably moves up 3 or 4 spaces - In Dynsasty leagues he is a top 5 pick.)

Sleeper - Teyo Johnson. Shockey did well catching passes from Collins. Norv has utalized good TE's in the past. I see him using Teyo like he did Novacheck in Dallas. This guy has tons of tallent, and was in Norvs dog house lasts year. With Jolley leaving, I see hm taking over. He could really suprise some people, and is worth a late round pick as a back up that could end up better than most peoples startes.

I don't really know how you classify Wiggins as a sleeper at this point, but wouldn't include Dallas Clark?? Wiggins had a HUGE second half last year, and will NOT be had cheaply as previously mentioned. The guy isn't a sleeper, rather simply one of the best fantasy TE's in the NFL.

I love Dallas Clark as well, and he'll have a big year, but neither one of these are breakout guys.

I don't think Troupe will do a heck of a lot. I don't even think he'll play very much. Erron Kinney is a good NFL player.

My picks for breakout TEs are Teyo Johnson, Heath Miller, & Jerramy Stevens. Yes, Jerramy Stevens. Its time. Koren is gone, someone needs to step up and I think he's gonna be the guy.

I also like Dallas Clark in Indy.

854842[/snapback]

Good call. He should have a good year with Peyton throwing him the ball.

My picks for breakout TEs are Teyo Johnson, Heath Miller, & Jerramy Stevens.

854972[/snapback]

I like the Teyo Johnson pick. He is a sentimental favorite of mine since I got to know him when he was in high school in San Diego. He's a hard-working kid, has great hands, and will benefit from the Raiders retooled offense. A definite sleeper!! :D

Edited by Chargerz

I like the Teyo Johnson pick. He is a sentimental favorite of mine since I got to know him when he was in high school in San Diego. He's a hard-working kid, has great hands, and will benefit from the Raiders retooled offense. A definite sleeper!!  :D

854984[/snapback]

I considered adding Teyo, but the way I see it, the Raiders have too many weapons now for him to be a top 3 TE. Loads of upside though. I've actually had him on my roster the last 2 years trying to "shock" my league. Hasn't panned out for me yet.

Good call Rovers.  I was actually planning on naming him too, but simply forgot.  You're right though, TEN has always had productive TEs, so what's to stop Jolley from having a breakout year.  My only concern is, from my recollection, he only had one good year in OAK, and last year was ousted for the up-and-comer with Gates like potential, Teyo Johnson.  And Teyo wasn't even a consistent blocker.  Anyways, good call.

854870[/snapback]

For whatever reason, Jolley just didn't get many targets in Oakland. I read a report that prior to the Jolley trade, Gannon told Herm Edwards that Jolley would have had a big year if he (Gannon) had not gotten hurt. Collins just doesn't seem to look for the TE very often, according to Gannon.

skins, homer call or not, I like Cooley too. I'm not sure if he's ready for a breakout year, but I love him in a dynasty league. This kid looked good last year. He only started 8 games in his rookie year but still scored 6 TD's. His APR is low, under 9, but he's a great red zone target and should improve on his yardage being more of a force in the middle of the field this year.

Not crazy about Putz.... sounds like a TEBC in Denver to me. Also not very high on any Oakland TE. Collins just doesn't seem to check down to the TE, something Gannon talked to Edwards about. Courtney Anderson could also steal the starting job from Teyo. I also think Dallas Clark could disappoint, they have some good young TE's in Indy. Wiggins is another that could be a problem, unless they will only use Kliensasser as an H back. Johnson could be risky too.... he tore it up in the first half of last year, and dissappeared. I think LJ Smith could do well.... he had a nagging injury last year which really hurt him, and Lewis is gone from Philly. He could have a big year.

Crumpler, Witten, these guys have already broken out and are low risk picks, but they will go pretty early.

Edited by Rovers

Guest THEbigred
I agree that Dallas Clark is probably overrated by fantasy players.  The Colts are still going to use TE sets, meaning that he will still have to share the TE receptions even though Pollard is gone.  The Colts have several good TE's looking to lock up that #2 TE spot. 
Actually they have two "potentially" - ie totally unproven - good TEs, Utecht and Hartsock.

Plus, I think Clark continues in his H-back role, and one of the younger guys gets to play the role that Pollard did, which was more of the receiving TE.
?? You kidding? Pollard was not the "receiving TE" and Clark has the best hands (and overall tools) of the 3. This is no blocking TE.

As for him being injury prone, I wouldn't go that far.  He missed 6 games in '02 with a nasty broken leg.  But he only missed one game last year.
He was nicked up at various times in others last year as I recall, although not 100% certain of how much. "Injury prone" might be pushing it, but as a Colt fan it's in the back of my mind...

I'm not going to say Manning will match his 49 TD's, but the Colts are still going to chuck it around, so who knows how many TD's he'll have.
"Less than last year" is the short answer IMO, although he'll probably generally hover around that number, and of course the possibility for a bigger year is there. He is talented and this is the Colts. But basically last year he caught a few long bombs and otherwise was mostly non-existant. Not a guy I'd invest much in for sure.

For more deep sleepers, consider that NO may can Boo Williams ... a move that he has publicly admitted is very possible. If they do, I do not expect Conwell to get the passing reps ... look for Shad Meier or Zach Hilton to possibly make some noise ...