[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breakout TEs

Brentastic

Ben Watson, NE

This guy was on his way last year to pretty respectable numbers, having had a great pre-season, team leading 10 catches-114-1. He has a combination of size, speed and hands that no other TE on that roster has, and that's saying a lot with as many TE's as New England carries. That position accounted for 54 catches for 652 and 9 td's last year (between Graham, Fauria and Weaver). He won't get all of those, but he should be the best out of the four, and post better numbers than Graham did last year. Grab him late and watch him explode!!

Keep an eye on Kris Wilson from KC as a possible late draft, free agent pickup in your leagues. The Chiefs will be working him from a variety of spots to free him up downfield, so he essentially will be more of a multi-purpose receiver than strictly a tight end.

He's good for a bye week filler and a backup tight end in real deep leagues, but watch for him in training camp.

He could be one of those guys who gets 5-6 TD's inside the red zone because teams still won't know much about him. And he's talented.

Edited by Chief Dick

Keep an eye on Kris Wilson from KC as a possible late draft, free agent pickup in your leagues. The Chiefs will be working him from a variety of spots to free him up downfield, so he essentially will be more of a multi-purpose receiver than strictly a tight end.

He's good for a bye week filler and a backup tight end in real deep leagues, but watch for him in training camp.

He could be one of those guys who gets 5-6 TD's inside the red zone because teams still won't know much about him. And he's talented.

855106[/snapback]

Wilson was a great TE for Pitt. I watched him quite a bit and was impressed with his ability to run in the open field. You may be right on that one--Wilson could end up playing a bigger role in KC.

Homer pick:

I think Cooley in DC at the traditional Gibbs H Back/Tight end position may surprise a lot of people this year. He had 6 tds last year and with the field stretched a bit with the faster receivers, and even modest improvements at QB and overall offense, he may become a serious target.

854906[/snapback]

Cooley was a stud at Utah State - if he gets the opportunity, he'll make the most of it.

Actually they have two "potentially" - ie totally unproven - good TEs, Utecht and Hartsock.

855019[/snapback]

Actually three. There's a kid named Bryan Fletcher who lit it up in the preseason last year. And Tony gushed about him later in the year. It's a three man race that is too tight to call at the moment.

??  You kidding?  Pollard was not the "receiving TE" and Clark has the best hands (and overall tools) of the 3.  This is no blocking TE.

855019[/snapback]

LOL, neither Pollard or Clark are great blockers. Clark had 25 catches for 423 yards and 5 TD's in 15 games. Pollard had 29 for 309 and 6 TD's in only 13 games. Like I said, the Colts drafted Clark to play H-back. Thus he spends more time in the backfield helping with protection, blocking for Edgerrin, or looking for dump-offs from Manning. The think that skewed Clark's numbers last year was an eighty-yard TD catch against the Texans. The seam routes and the other downfield passes were directed more at Pollard coming from his TE spot on the end of the line. I possibly could see the Colts moving Hartsock to the H-back role, freeing up Dallas to go downfield. But I don't see them doing that with Utecht or Fletcher, who are more of the pass-catching TE variety. It is definitely something I will be watching in camp and keeping you all updated. I just don't see a HUGE production boost for Dallas if he stays in the H-back role. One thing about Dallas is that he has great speed. He is certainly capable of going downfield.

He was nicked up at various times in others last year as I recall, although not 100% certain of how much.  "Injury prone" might be pushing it, but as a Colt fan it's in the back of my mind...

855019[/snapback]

I believe he has a hammy problem somewhere along the line, but he did play through it. The thing Dallas does not do well is protect himself. He takes some wicked hits out there. And he runs with reckless abandon. He's gotten drilled several times. In that regard, I see what you are saying.

and of course the possibility for a bigger year is there.  He is talented and this is the Colts.  But basically last year he caught a few long bombs and otherwise was mostly non-existant.  Not a guy I'd invest much in for sure.

855019[/snapback]

Like I said, unless Dallas gets switched away from the H-back role, I'd agree. I think his numbers will increase, but probably not as much as everyone is thinking right now. It seems like people are adding Pollard's and Clark's numbers together from last year and figuring that as Dallas' potential. That ain't gonna happen. He will be a tight end that has a big week now and then. Hopefully he will be more consistent than last year, but I still think it is quite possible he'll have a few poor games fantasy-wise.

Edited by CaptainHook

I considered adding Teyo, but the way I see it, the Raiders have too many weapons now for him to be a top 3 TE.  Loads of upside though.  I've actually had him on my roster the last 2 years trying to "shock" my league.  Hasn't panned out for me yet.

855004[/snapback]

Third year rule, baby, third year rule. I think this is the year he puts it together.

Ben Watson.

BTW, No way on Wiggins. Kliensasser is back and that will spell TEBC if there is such a thing. Haa!

854856[/snapback]

I agree. Everywhere I've read is so quick to call Kleinsasser the blocking TE and Wiggins the receiving TE. The Sauce will be in on his share of plays. The guy can flat out play and they won't disregard that.

By the way... I still think Putz will have a great year. My post before was just to say that he does have competition, and that other TEs will be playing too...

I didn't mean to scare people away from the Putz. He is a great receiver.

Didnt he lead NCAA with TE receptions as a senior?

856082[/snapback]

Yeah, he was fun to watch:

Former defensive lineman who found a home at tight end after moving to the offense as a sophomore...Became the first non-wide receiver since 1983 to lead the team in receiving as a senior...Also led the nation's tight ends in receptions and receiving yards in 2003, accounting for over 25% of the team's aerial yards...Caught at least two passes in 17 consecutive games and had at least four receptions in 13 of his last 14 contests...While known for his receiving skills, he is also an excellent blocker, earning team Golden Helmet Award honors, given to the Aggies' hardest hitter...Appeared in 31 games on offense, starting 15 contests as he hauled in 95 passes for 1,255 yards (13.2 avg) and eleven touchdowns, adding 21 yards and a score on three carries (7.0 avg)...Competed in eight games on defense as a freshman and also performed on special teams, collecting 27 tackles (20 solos) with two sacks for minus 10 yards, four stops for losses of 23 yards, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Ah yes, the famous Golden Helmet award. :D The thing I like about Cooley is his play at FB - he's much more than a "receiving tight end."

My SUPERSLEEPER this year is Eric Edwards, TE from Arizona Cardinals.

This kid is 6'4", 256 lbs, 2nd year player out of LSU.

He appeared in all 16 games last season but only as a blocking tight end (5 catches for 51 yards all year).

Dennis Green is so enamored with Edwards’ potential that he didn’t pursue re-signing Pro Bowl TE Freddie Jones.

New offensive coordinator Keith Rowen spent the past several years tutoring Tony Gonzalez in Kansas City so there's reason to believe Edwards could really get involved in the offense.

The only competition he will face is from Bobby Blizzard who made the All-NFL Europe team this spring. (Jun 16, 2005).

You can pick him up off waivers after the draft!

Dennis Green is so enamored with Edwards’ potential that he didn’t pursue re-signing Pro Bowl TE Freddie Jones.

857204[/snapback]

When was Freddie Jones selected for the Pro Bowl? I'm quite sure he's not pro bowl calibur any more, although that doesn't mean your guy E. Edwards isn't a good sleeper candidate.

When was Freddie Jones selected for the Pro Bowl? I'm quite sure he's not pro bowl calibur any more, although that doesn't mean your guy E. Edwards isn't a good sleeper candidate.

857233[/snapback]

I am just thinking there is little competition, new OC that like's to use his tight end.

This ain't the same old Cards anymore.

Could be a nice bye week filler.