[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Know Preseason is a Joke

What players do you wanna see perform before the season starts? A guy in one of my leagues brought to our attention he is looking forward to Aaron Rodgers and Terrance Murphy matching up. So what new faces and combinations are you awaiting to see?

The Panthers second round draft pick-Shelton. The specs on this guy make him out to be a battering ram. His size and speed are a good fit for Fox, and I think he was drafted for the reason of possibly carrying the load. Davis may come back from the micro-fracture surgery, but he's oner 30 now, and Foster has yet to prove full season durability. So, I look forward to seeing Shelton hit the hole and move the pile. Plus, the Panthers O-line should be a very good unit this year, and here's hoping they gel in the PS.

Much like last year's Roy Williams, I am very interested to see what Braylen Edwards can do. I never paid much attention to Michigan football, so I'd like to see him in action.

J.J. Arrington (sp?) is another interesting prospect. He's got a great chance of starting in Arizona, and he should get a lot of playing time in preseason.

Now for my homer pick: As a Denver fan, I want to see how their second rounder, Darrent Williams, plays. Especially on special teams. Denver's special teams have been the worst in the league for almost a decade.

Also, I want to see what running back blows their knee out so that team has to trade for Travis Henry. :D (Edit: except for the Broncos; they have about 42 running backs on the roster anyway)

Edited by Skilly

From a local perspective, I'm interested to see what a healthy Ben Watson can do (if he's going to supplant Daniel Graham as many suggest, though Graham is no slouch). And David Terrell, to see whether being reunited with Brady/playing in a winning system will turn him around and give the Pats the big red-zone WR target they've lacked.

From a national perspective, I'm psyched to see Edwards and Arrington, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac, the Balt. passing game, Clarett (to see how that RB situation shakes out), and one non-rookie...Joey Harrington, what with all the focus and pressure on him to perform or be banished to Burger King to work the grill with Couch, Akili, and Klingler. (Leaf cleans the grease trap.)

No one, however, has generated that "can't wait to see this guy play" excitement since Shockey, IMO. Remember his big hit in the Hall of Fame game (I think it was) when he ran over that DB? It was the subject of the next two weeks' sports radio.

Edited by msaint

The one player I'm most interested in is JJ Arrington. I already know enough about Benson, to know he is going to be a stud, in a very short time. Arrington intreagues me. Based upon the system he is going to, and the other players on his team, I can see him being the best of the rookie RBs this year, I want to see how he looks in preseason though. Don't get me wrong, I thing Brown and Benson have much more talent, but think Arrington is in the bes position this year to make an solid impact.

No one, however, has generated that "can't wait to see this guy play" excitement since Shockey, IMO. Remember his big hit in the Hall of Fame game (I think it was) when he ran over that DB? It was the subject of the next two weeks' sports radio.

871212[/snapback]

I think Matt Jones may fit that bill this year. 6'6" 3/4, 4.36 40 yard dash, long flowing blonde hair. I'm interested to see if he can be a productive reciever in preseason; if he can he could see alot of action right out of the gate. The Jaguars desperately need a competant wideout to go opposite Jimmy Smith, and Jones could do that with an impressive preseason.

I am interested in schemes. I want to see what the Jets offense will look like, and what Saban will do on both sides of the ball at Miami. I also want to see how cohesive the Pats O looks without an OC.

As far as players, my homer to watch is Kerry Rhodes, the Jets rookie safety. If he is as good as he was in OTA's with pads on, we have a steal. I also want to see how involved Jolley will be in the Jets O. Brown is another one I want to watch. Odell Thurman is another. How good can Hartwell be as an MLB?

I could probably pick at least one player from every team that I am curious about. Warner and Arrington, Losman, Benson and Grossman, Harrington.... long list!

I am looking forward to seeing the Colts young defensive backs. With Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden in the mix at cornerback, and Joseph Jefferson, Mike Doss, and Bob Sanders competing at safety, I think it is a unit that could be vastly improved over last year. Sadly, I feel that even if it does greatly improve, teams will still remember how easy it is to run on the Colts. . .

One person I want to really see is Adrian McPherson for the Saints. With me being a Florida State football fan, I never really got to see him play in college because of legal issues. He was Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball the same year in high school. He went on to the Arena Football league and dominated, throwing 40 tds and 3 ints in one season. 3 ints is unbelievable. All I can say is Aaron Brooks better stay healthy.

i see alot of people mentioning arrington. i remember earlier this yr when the rookie draft was all about these 3 studs cadillac, benson, and williams. then low and behold, arrington has now made it the four horsemen. i'm not sold yet, although he goes to an awesome situation. as of right now, i don't see this guy landing on my team. i think others will overpay for this unproven commodity. the thing is though, they really have nothing over there that resembles a quality nfl rb. golden opportunity, but i'm very leary.

i see alot of people mentioning arrington.  i remember earlier this yr when the rookie draft was all about these 3 studs cadillac, benson, and williams.  then low and behold, arrington has now made it the four horsemen.  i'm not sold yet, although he goes to an awesome situation.  as of right now, i don't see this guy landing on my team.  i think others will overpay for this unproven commodity.  the thing is though, they really have nothing over there that resembles a quality nfl rb.  golden opportunity, but i'm very leary.

871398[/snapback]

This is why I stop reading draft stuff about three weeks beforehand. Everything I'd read all offseason was talking about how wonderfully deep the RB class was--no super-stud, no-questions-asked blue chipper like LT2, but guys with the ability to be produtive starters into the second day. Guys like Arringon, Fason, Morency, Barber . . . those guys were the reason people were calling this a great draft for RBs. All of the top three backs have at least one big question mark, but the needs of the teams at the top of the draft dictated the flow of things.

Peace

policy

As far as players I'm looking at, of course I'll be anxious to check out all three young Lions wideouts. But as far as other teams go, I really want to see J.P. Losman in action. He's like if Brett Favre were a way bigger a$$hole, and that offense has sky-high potential.

Peace

policy

As far as players I'm looking at, of course I'll be anxious to check out all three young Lions wideouts.  But as far as other teams go, I really want to see J.P. Losman in action.  He's like if Brett Favre were a way bigger a$$hole, and that offense has sky-high potential.

Peace

policy

871431[/snapback]

Thats who I was going to say. I think he completed 80% of his passes in preseason last year until he broke his leg and he's got a rocket like Favre.

What about defense? I'll be watching that new 46 defense that the Ravens are putting in. Granted, they probably won't show much in preseason, but maybe just a glimpse from the starters to see how it's going to work, and to see if the offenses will try to challenge it by passing a lot.

:D

871511[/snapback]

Well, with Alexander holding out, everyone thinks Maurice Morris would automatically be the feature back. Holmgren apparently likes this Carter kid (undrafted out of Stanford) and I'd like to see how he does against top competition in the preseason.

I wanna see Jamal rumbling over linebackers again.

871671[/snapback]

Jamal Running over linebackers

Boller throwing to Mason, Clayton, Heap

Ray Lewis running down RBs

Ed Reed running back TDs.

Of course, I'd like it more if it where week one against the Dolts.