[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Owners

whomper

Have any of you heard about putting a chip in your dog ? Our vet offered to do it. We havent had a new dog in 10 years..Our pups are only 3 months old. My wife and I arent going to do it. The vet swears its harmless and is a tracking device if the dog ever runs away. Each chip can identify the dog its placed in..I just think its a foreign object put inside your dog. Its implanted in the ear..Anyone ever do this or know someone that has?

Have any of you heard about putting a chip in your dog ? Our vet offered to do it. We havent had a new dog in 10 years..Our pups are only 3 months old. My wife and I arent going to do it. The vet swears its harmless and is a tracking device if the dog ever runs away. Each chip can identify the dog its placed in..I just think its a foreign object put inside your dog. Its implanted in the ear..Anyone ever do this or know someone that has?

1293704[/snapback]

It's extremely common, perfectly safe and greatly increases the chances of getting your pet back if he strays.

It's extremely common, perfectly safe and greatly increases the chances of getting your pet back if he strays.

1293710[/snapback]

Good advice here! They are getting more and more common.

I'd put one in my dog Nilly, but, as Sky would attest (and probably Gil, Wiegie, Mrs. Wiegie, Chavez, Mrs. Chavez, and even Los G + GF) if she ran away, she'd realize real quick she had it great at home and return within minutes, or if she was stolen, the thieves would bring her back in a NY minute! Her personality is her protection! :D:D

1293704[/snapback]

The wife that service should be offered for husbands. :D

I have an Avid chip in my lab. Its tiny...they insert it with a needle, just like any shot.

Until I found my place in Portland, I was staying with a buddy who owns a company that does off-hour emergency work for Animal Control in 5 counties. For fun, I'll ride along with him from time to time and I see a number of dogs picked up with no identification at all. Those with chips, we can take directly to the home. Those without a chip or some ID end up at Animal Control.

I did a walk through of one of the Animal Control kennels last Wednesday while he was filling out paperwork. Of the approximately 100 dogs that were there, at least 75% were pitbulls; most awaiting some kind of behavioral evaluation.

So Wednesday night's call was in response to a "vicious dog that bit a kid". A good % of the times this type of report comes in, a kid has provoked the dog or played a little rough and I usually sympothize with the dog. This time, we responded to the call to find that a 28 year old had been bitten by a ~ 6 month old puppy (mutt but had a look of a chow without the curly tail...maybe part Akita). The guy had opened the crate where the dog was and knowing how my dog gets when being let out, the dog probably got a little overexcited. Unfortunately, it is Oregon State law that if a dog bites someone and breaks skin, it HAS to go to Animal Control for 10 days and undergo some evaluation. Now, unless the dog rips out the throat of an Animal Control employee, the owner is going to get their dog back. Unfortunately, this took place at a homeless shelter so we were taking absolutely everything from this young woman. She's all gothed out going through a huge range of emotions and gets absolutely beligerant with us. She insisted that we were only taking her dog because she was homeless, we had it in for her, we had been out to get her, we had sex with our mothers on a regular basis, etc.

I certainly felt sorry for the dog and I started out feeling sorry for the owner. By the end of the evening, my mind had been changed. Best thing that could happen for the dog is if she doesn't claim the dog and it gets adopted. (Its a good looking dog and a puppy so it wouldn't stay in a shelter long).

So there's my rant with little point. Chip your dog.

our golden has one........ it came with the pedigree / papers. It's not in it's ear though...... it's injected into the loose skin on top of her neck.... totally harmless. then when we registered her & signed her up @ our vet...... they are given the frequency or whatever it is so they too can track her.

with us living smack-dab in the middle of the city....... we thougtht it was a good thing to do.

we've had zero problems.

Highly recommend the service in cats, dawgs, whatever. Just curious, what made you not do it in the first place? Didn't the vet tell you how safe it was? Or did you just want to check base with all the professional vets here?

Highly recommend the service in cats, dawgs, whatever. Just curious, what made you not do it in the first place? Didn't the vet tell you how safe it was? Or did you just want to check base with all the professional vets here?

1294125[/snapback]

The vet told us it was safe..I was just looking for some opinions of people that have had it done..Its not too late for us to do it . And yes I trust the huddle opinions more than trained professionals. I had both of my testicals removed once on the advice of a post by Polksalet.