[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would you split the pot?

detlef

Splitting the pot  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or have you made a deal with the other finalist to split the pot?

• Never, that's for feminine hygene products
    • Like hedging the last bet on a winning parlay, common sense
    • It depends on how I feel about my chances

It's funny because I was just offered a split, but I'm not taking it. I'm guaranteed a certain amount now anyway, and I want to win it all. If I don't, then oh well. Now if it was at Poker night at 3:00 AM and I was head to head with a guy, then I would think about it, but never any other time. Just my preference though.

I have never asked anyone to split the pot. I've been asked a few times, and with the exception of one time I went along with it. The one time I didn't I was playing a guy that had been talking smack all year, but his best RB went down right before the SB. I offered him no mercy because he'd made such an ass of himself throughout the year.

Never have I been in a championship game for money.......next week will be my first.

Congrats. Good luck. If you're wife isn't sick of your act yet, she's going to be by next Monday. Having the digits on the line takes the whole geek thing to a new level.

In the home league it is almost a normal thing to split. I really can't remember the last time that we didn't split. Two years ago they even worked out a final four payout that I was not to crazy about but I went along with. If I am ever asked to chop, I always will. The only time that I would not want to is if it is a pretty low pot size then I just don't think that it is worth chopping. That sort of chop has never been asked of me.

Congrats. Good luck. If you're wife isn't sick of your act yet, she's going to be by next Monday. Having the digits on the line takes the whole geek thing to a new level.

:D Actually I couldn't even watch the game last night, I just figured I was a gonner up 7 points with Plax to go against me.....I logged on about 11pm last night to be shocked and very happy. She's actually pretty good about my habit, she thinks its definately dorky but after I spend all the $$ on her she won't think that any longer. When I had to plan events around my draft nights she got all upset, but after she reaps the benefits of the $$ this year that ought to shut her up. :D

:D Actually I couldn't even watch the game last night, I just figured I was a gonner up 7 points with Plax to go against me.....I logged on about 11pm last night to be shocked and very happy. She's actually pretty good about my habit, she thinks its definately dorky but after I spend all the $$ on her she won't think that any longer. When I had to plan events around my draft nights she got all upset, but after she reaps the benefits of the $$ this year that ought to shut her up. :D

Yep, I bought mine off as well.

This is a very common discussion in the poker world. When poker tournaments get down to the final 2 or 3 players, they often talk about splitting up the money differently than the prescribed payout. The skill factor always comes into the discussion. If I'm playing against someone who I think is a better player than me, then I'm always going to try and make a deal that makes me more money than I could expect to make by playing it out. For example, let's say 1st place is $1000 and 2nd place is $500. If I'm playing against someone who was my exact equal, and we played this same scenario 100 times, I'd probably win 50 and lose 50. Therefore my expected value is $750. If the guy offered me $800, I'd probably say yes since I'm making more than my expected value. Of course, no match is ever played by 2 identically equal players, so you have to get good at evaluating your chances. This all easily correlates to fantasy football. Look at your team and his team and evaluate your expected value, then see if you can make more than that.

Of course, I have a very close friend who got to the end of a tournament and was offered a deal by Phil Hellmuth, and told Phil to go f##k himself and went on to beat him, so sometimes it's better to just go for it and throw the odds to the wind. . .

Having punched my ticket last night, the other finalist and I agreed not to split the pot but make it less of a "winner take all".

As it stands, the winner gets $800 and the 2nd place gets the waiver money ($1 per move after your 10 free ones to start). That amounted to $72 but likely would require getting dudes to pay up a few bucks here or there since some moves were made after the last payment deadline. So that $72 is really probably closer to $50.

We're going to split it $300 each off the top and we're playing for the other $200+.

That gives me something to root for but at least I'm assured of some cash out of this thing.

Never *

Comparing it to Poker to me is not right - FF Super Bowl is a once a year (per league) outing that's a culmination of an entire seasons worth of work, energy and passion.

I have a hard time ever seeing a scenario where I could afford to be in the league, yet would want to chop it. The concept of "well, if it was a much bigger pot" means that you got in a league with a much bigger fee. Even if winner take all, if I got in the league, I'd want to go with that.

For instance, Our local is about $800 a team, winner takes half/2nd place takes 25%. I unfortunately didn' tmake the superbowl, but would never consider splitting that $2000 diff in that league. I know many others above said "if we're talkign $2k difference, I would" - my question to you is - "would you be in a league that costs $800 in the first place".

FF by nature keeps that "pay $100 entry, win $10 grand" out of the picture - your winnings are proportionate to the risk you took upfront, so your already level-set on the payout.

* Only two possiblities I can see that I'd consider due to different rules on paying in/paying out:

1) some sort of wacky 50 team league where the entry fee and prize is disproportionate, I might consider it (although even then, it would have to be something really odd like $100 entry to win $5000 and winner take all)

2) a WCOFF scenario where pay $1500 (probably in a split team), and win back that or more in your league, then go to the "championship" bracket to win $200k - it's somewhat similar to above, but because of the dual prize tiers, once in the second tier, if it's between me and another team for the $200k I'd try to figure out a way to chop at least some of it.

I remember before that high dollar final telling my wife, "Depending on how this weekend goes, I'm either going to remodel the kitchen or build us a new bed." Going into Monday night, I had A Green and he had Favre and we were basically tied. It was the Oakland game where Favre had like 4 TDs and 300 yds by half time. A Green actually had a pretty nice game but not like that. I think I could have lived with myself had I "only" won $1800 rather than $2500.

If you can remodel a kitchen for $2500 we need to talk. :D

our league has 500 for 1st and 200 for 2nd, plus split 50/50 the trade money, which is $300. So there is a total $1000 in the pot, making the split 650/350 for 1st/2nd. I've scored 1657 to his 1339 and was 12-1 against him during the regular season. He offered 500/500, I countered 550/450, which we're doing. Plus there is a trophy. FF can go either way, so why not take a little more guaranteed money??

If you can remodel a kitchen for $2500 we need to talk. :D

The bed I built with the $600 bucks

I spent most of the money on tools needed to do it. The wood for the bed itself wasn't much and I just copied the design from an Italian catalog.

Well, it wasn't a complete remodel and we ended up doing it anyway. Having bought all the tools to make the bed...

Kitchen before

Kitchen after

Kitchen after 2

We had already replaced the fridge. The kitchen had an electric drop in oven that we replaced with a nice used gas one ($1000). I pulled out the old microwave that theoretically doubled as a hood but didn't actually do anything and replaced it with a proper hood ($300). The island was about $500 in materials (maybe) and I paid a friend a couple hundred bucks to run a gas line to the stove and electricity to the island. The rest was paint and new door hardware. Oh, we dropped in a new dishwasher. I forget but it wasn't too much. So, there's your $2500 "remodel".

splitting the winnings that will be earned between 2 teams playing for the championship is not breaking the rules. 1st pays a certain amount and 2nd pays a certain amount, what the winners do with that money is up to them.

now if one team trades a bunch of players to another team in return for a piece of the pie, yes that is cheating, but that is a different subject.

as to what I would do? In my league first wins a little more than $400 and second gets about $250. so the 50/50 split would be a little more than $300 each so in that case, no. I would play for the $400.

But using your example of $2500 and I think you said $600, hell yeah baby, get me a blue ox and call me Paul Bunyon cause I am choppin that.

splitting the winnings that will be earned between 2 teams playing for the championship is not breaking the rules. 1st pays a certain amount and 2nd pays a certain amount, what the winners do with that money is up to them.

now if one team trades a bunch of players to another team in return for a piece of the pie, yes that is cheating, but that is a different subject.

as to what I would do? In my league first wins a little more than $400 and second gets about $250. so the 50/50 split would be a little more than $300 each so in that case, no. I would play for the $400.

But using your example of $2500 and I think you said $600, hell yeah baby, get me a blue ox and call me Paul Bunyon cause I am choppin that.

Do I really have to call you Paul Bunyon or can we just split the pot and call it a day? :D

edit to add: NTTAWWT

Edited by detlef

The bed I built with the $600 bucks

I spent most of the money on tools needed to do it. The wood for the bed itself wasn't much and I just copied the design from an Italian catalog.

Well, it wasn't a complete remodel and we ended up doing it anyway. Having bought all the tools to make the bed...

Kitchen before

Kitchen after

Kitchen after 2

We had already replaced the fridge. The kitchen had an electric drop in oven that we replaced with a nice used gas one ($1000). I pulled out the old microwave that theoretically doubled as a hood but didn't actually do anything and replaced it with a proper hood ($300). The island was about $500 in materials (maybe) and I paid a friend a couple hundred bucks to run a gas line to the stove and electricity to the island. The rest was paint and new door hardware. Oh, we dropped in a new dishwasher. I forget but it wasn't too much. So, there's your $2500 "remodel".

:D Wow, you did a hell of a job on that kitchen. My father does handyman type jobs in every part of the house (except for plumbing) and there's no way in hell he could have done a job like that for $2500. Kudos to you!

The league has defined how the money will be awarded. That is what you signed up for, that is what you should live with. Splitting is at best low brow, and really violates the league rules. I spit upon those who split! :D

I consider myself spit upon then. I split every single time.

Not a chance in hell is it low-brow or in violation of any rules though.