[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blackberry, droid or iphone?

bpwallace49

Have a BB Tour now with Sprint - best phone I''ve ever had. Quality, tough handset.

Just got a BB Curve through AT&T - the only phone/provider my company supports company email for. Looks/feels like a pile of crap nest to the Tour.

I've always been interested in the iPhone. Love the apps. May get get one on my family plan for a personal phone. My company plan is dropping texts to 250/mo - only enough for one of my kids for a day. :wacko:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If syncing through Outlook is your primary goal for email and calendar your best bet is to stick with some form of Blackberry, especially if it's through an enterprise server at your work.

If you could switch everything to Gmail for mail and contacts any android phone would be a slick upgrade. I recently canned my Pearl and gave up the hook in to work emails for the Eris droid phone through Verizon. Hooks into personal gmail and contacts all wireless and I love it.

So what do the android users think of 2.1?

*Pinch zoom

*Live wallpaper

*Goggles app preloaded

*Widget for weather and news

*Photo gallery upgrade

I'm sure I missed some new features.

Droid rocks for sure, and agree with you about the new additions in this current upgrade. BUT, being rooted with a custom ROM truly unlocks the Droids potential.

Get Google voice it's free.

This.

I know a few iPhone users who bagged the integrated visual voicemail and switched to Google Voice. Even though Apple blocks the GV app (homos), you can still access it though a mobile web interface.

I have a blackberry storm 2. i came from a motorola Q. I really do enjoy the storm 2, it is hands down the most percise touch screen phone out there and has some great systems. the cons are lack of apps hands down number 1. the other thing i can't stand about it is the PC software sucks. it really is terrible software for pic/music sharing. and the bulit in wifi is really a pain in the ass. those are the only 3 things i can tell you to avoid about. my brother-in-law to be has a droid and he seems really happy with it thus far. hope that helps!

I have the Droid and love it. If you use Google products such as Gmail, Calendar , Google Docs and Google voice it make this phone so much better. I can't image not having this phone.

Very possibly the first thing we have EVER agreed on :D I hope you got "MusicJunk" before it was pulled off the market! :D You can still find links to it in Droid forums. I don't like you enough to provide the link here, go find it yourself ! :D:wacko: Allso, try YouMail. I like it better than Google Voice.

I have a BB, my ball and chain assigned to me from work. It's OK and a good office tool, but for all the other stuff is sub-par. I ordered iPhones for my group that was doing "things on the side" and they were fantastic. Wish I could say the same for AT&T. Verizon clearly has the best over-all coverage, and the fact that they bought up HUGH amounts of of the vacated channels when TV switched over to digital, means it will not only get better, but when they roll their 4G coverage out (supposedly near the end of the year), it will kick A$$ on any of the other providers. Houston is a Verizon test market for their 4G service and it is unbelievable!

Before I go on to splooge over my Droid, another think you may want to consider is the fact that 3G and 4G devices are HARDWARE driven and not service/software driven. If you want/need 4G, wait for Verizon to roll out their service and buy a compatible phone.

The Droid (sitting next to me right now) is THE BEST of the three. The Android platform is easy to write apps for and they are rolling out faster than can be imagined. There are already more than you could ever put on your phone and the whole Google interface (I was leery of this at first :D ) has turned out to be the best thing about the platform! The GPS/mapping/directions is superior to even my Garmin (by the window mount) and there is definite advantages to having both virtual and real keypads. The battery can be replaced (iPhone no) and it uses a mini-sd card (making it very easy to back up the whole phone, apps and all). EVERYTHING is stored on the card (resident memory in the phone is limited to the operating system and program "pointers". The camera @ 5MP is great (but will not replace a good dedicated camera like any of the phone cams) and the video is as good as any of the small digital video cams available.

It was a painful transition for me for the first few weeks to learn and use the Google Calendar and Contacts (I have been on the Palm platform for 13 years but HATED all the cute, little phones they were coming out with). All automatically interface / update, including the pictures you assign to your contacts. The only thing I miss from my Outlook desktop (I use this at work and keep professional and personal stuff ALWAYS separate) is "notes". There are many note type apps you can get for free (I like "color note"). The only app I purchased for my Droid is Documents to Go. Valuable if you deal with a lot of MS documents.

3G surfing has been better than I expected and I do most of my surfing from the phone (since my kids monopolize the PC now). The external speaker, in my opinion is the superior of the three as well.

This phone has clearly streamlined all the crap I carry around with me into one amazing devise! Day camera, phone, GPS, personal organizer, music player (buy the Jabra Cruiser for the ride). Then again, if I lose it, I will have to crawl into a hole and die.

One last piece of advise. Make sure that you get an android device with at least firmware version 2.0 (2.1 just came out and has made some great additions). Anything less will not run the soon-to-be released Adobe flash player for the Droid. Something that the BB and iPhone don't and probably wont have for quite a while.

Another good thing about the Droid, Adobe Flash Player will be available sometime this summer. Iphone users can only dream about getting the app. Due to copyright laws or something, Apple will never have it. Another worm in the apple. :wacko:

I'm loving my Blackberry so far. However, I just tried to download an app & it told me I was running out of memory for applications. :wacko:

There's a few I put on there & then deleted. Does that still affect the memory space?

• 3 weeks later...
thank goodness we have steve jobs to tell us what platforms are good for us and to herd us away from the bad ones.

Yeah, Apple telling me about closed systems and how they love open source. BS. Why did they disable the open-source sharing protocol in iTunes and implement a stupider closed one in an upgrade last year? I've gotten to the point where I never update iTunes, because every time I do, they make it worse.

My only complaint with the Motorola Droid is the battery life sucks balls. Other than that it is great.

You have to really tweek your battery usage. Turn off GPS when not using it. The biggest thing your phone uses when its idle is the display. Try dimming down when idle. Also, go into settings/applications/running services and check out what is running in the background. The only things you cannot turn off are Voice Search and Android Keyboard. Everything else is able to shut down by touching the application. This will save you BIG time on battery life.

You have to really tweek your battery usage. Turn off GPS when not using it. The biggest thing your phone uses when its idle is the display. Try dimming down when idle. Also, go into settings/applications/running services and check out what is running in the background. The only things you cannot turn off are Voice Search and Android Keyboard. Everything else is able to shut down by touching the application. This will save you BIG time on battery life.

Word. I run a task killer that I click to shut down the non-essential stuff that tends to run in the background.