[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks and Holmgren

bigbadwolf

I officially am sick of my Seahawks. 2nd time they have lost a game that they had wrapped up (See St Louis game) This team and it's lack of a killer instinct isn't worth the effort of caring about them. All they do is tease the fans. Dropped balls, inept play calling, shaky defense due to lack of priority in drafts. And I have tickets to two more home games... so I'll have to hope they don't continue to break my heart.

And I am fairly certain Holmgren won't be back. Paul Allen hasn't been happy with his results and it was only because of last seasons late surge he was back this year. And two years ago he had to give up his GM title to come back as coach.

Bob Whittson (sp?), the GM Allen brought in this year as the top dog, is Allen's right hand man for his sports teams. Bob is a very aggressive player and likes to be the man. Bob will want to bring in his own coach and will certainly won't have Holmgren's back.

See ya guys next August when I'm back hoping for a title for my Seahawks and my love/hate relationship continues. I'm out. :D

It's not just a killer instinct. That would imply that the team has a chance to put it away on offense. The offense scored and got their job done, but plain and simple, Seattle's D absolutely stinks!

The special teams didn't help either, but their defense is just very sad. I don't know if its Holmgrens fault or Ray Rhodes, either way they're both responsible.

I think the injuries at LB are killing the D, but Dallas wasn't even in the game till the two fumbles in the first half. You're probably right about Holmy being gone. However, I'm not too crazy about Whittson at GM, and I fear he will quickly mismanage the salary cap doing more harm then good. My question is who do you get to replace Holmgren. Who is out there? Fassel. One of the coordinators from NE.

It is tough to be a fan.

It's impossible to tell how good Seattle really is -- and I don't say that because they're "inconsistent". I think most teams in the NFC are inconsistent, so even a consistent team (not necessarily Seattle) could have a .500 record.

Basically, injuries to some key personnel on defense have had significant impacts. However, they still have a decent amount of talent, so Rhodes should be getting more out of his squad. On a few of those plays last night, it just looked like the 'Hawks defenders just plain didn't know where to be.

It seems the Seahawks defensive scheme is all "read and react"... I hate that kind of defense because it's like they're waiting for the other team to do something so they can react to it. Rhodes' defensive schemes just don't work with the rules being enforced against DBs... you've got to bring the heat early and often, especially when you don't have a lot of talent in the front 7. Got to mask your deficiencies by overloading the line of scrimmage with bodies...

Bottom line, the defense is softer than bowl of jello... these are one of those times when I hate being a Seahawks fan. But because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll be back in the stands next year...

My question is who do you get to replace Holmgren. Who is out there? Fassel. One of the coordinators from NE.

It is tough to be a fan.

597355[/snapback]

Typically with Seattle sport teams, when they fire a coach/manager the owners seem to bring in the opposite style.

So I'd guess the Hawks would be looking at a defensive minded coach that keeps in simple on the offense, ala running, running, and more running. Someone like a Bill Cowher. I don't know who it would be, but that's my guess. And someone that will take orders without raising a stink, since Bob Whittson will want to run the team overall.

I officially am sick of my Seahawks.  2nd time they have lost a game that they had wrapped up (See St Louis game)  This team and it's lack of a killer instinct isn't worth the effort of caring about them.  All they do is tease the fans.  Dropped balls, inept play calling, shaky defense due to lack of priority in drafts.  And I have tickets to two more home games... so I'll have to hope they don't continue to break my heart.

596993[/snapback]

#1, The season isn't over. It's real possible for the Hawks to get a Wild Card home game still. Then go into Philly and make a run against the Choke squad.

#2, Chad Brown and Anthony Simmons are out. That's killing the defense. Absolutely devastating when they have a cruddy d-line to begin with.

#1, The season isn't over. It's real possible for the Hawks to get a Wild Card home game still. Then go into Philly and make a run against the Choke squad.

598052[/snapback]

How you even have the gall to call my Beloved a "Choke Squad" after that lackluster performance on Monday Night boggles the mind. You must need a wheelbarrow for your gigantic warblies.

Rest assured, as a Philly fan, I can think of no team in the NFC that I would rather face than SEA.

#1 - It's bob whitsitt, not bob whitson

#2 - That Monday night game was just disgusting, the fact that keyshawn was out of bounds for that touchdown should NOT have made a difference.

#3 - How can you only have five players up to field the onside kick when it's obvious that's what Dallas is going to do?

#4 - Jerry Rice is cool, our 5th, 6th, and 7th string LB's are not.

It's a rough time to be a hawks fan

Typically with Seattle sport teams, when they fire a coach/manager the owners seem to bring in the opposite style.

So I'd guess the Hawks would be looking at a defensive minded coach that keeps in simple on the offense, ala running, running, and more running.

598021[/snapback]

Romeo Crennel would probably be a good fit.

598052[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? Do you honestly think that the Seahawks are a SB-caliber team? They're not and, Wild Card or not, their season will be over as soon as they play Philly or Atlanta in the playoffs.

2 words for Holmgren.  Brett Favre.

599323[/snapback]

I've got a few more words for Holmgren: Reggie White, Gilbert Brown, LeRoy Butler, and Santana Dotson.

Holmgren had the best defense in the league when he won SB 31. As good as Favre was (is), their D in '96 is what put them over the top.

Alright, I’ve finally recovered enough from Monday night’s collapse to post my 2 cents. I have been always been a Holmgren believer. I like what he says, I like how he is a straight shooter with the press, I like his offensive vision. While many in the Seattle area have been hammering the Big Show for years, I have always felt that he couldn’t have turned into & idiot overnight, and that he should be given time to get things done. However, the 'Hawks record is now 47-47 in his tenure.

Despite having an injured quarterback, dropped passes, player suspensions, a decimated linebacker corps, getting hosed by officials,etc. The most alarming thing that I have seen this season is an almost complete lack of mental toughness & focus in this team. The team often doesn’t seem to be fired up. Mental mistakes abound, with players often out of position for plays. Catastrophic mistakes are the rule, not the exception, and if the game turns bad, instead of rolling up their sleeves, this squad is way to quick to hang their head. There is a staggering mental fragility here. It was apparent at the end of the home game against St. Louis, & again as Testaverde completed 4 straight passes to storm down the field with 2:00 minutes left on Monday night. OK, the Keyshawn catch may not have been a touchdown, but prior to that the Cowboys had thrown 3 consecutive passes for 9, 10, & 11 yards. There is no reason to believe that they wouldn’t have scored in the next few plays had the TD been overturned. You could almost see the defense collectively sigh and say “Here we go again”. They weren’t attacking Dallas, they were resigned to failure. While this is a defensive issue, the buck ultimately has to stop with Holmgren, and his apparent inability to keep his team focused on winning. Holmgren has had 6 years to accomplish this, & hasn’t.

As such, I agree Romeo Crennel is the right man for the job. He has consistently led one of the top d's in the NFL, & more importantly he has been able to do it with loads of injuries, & with veteran role players, not necessarly superstars. The Seahawks have the seeds of talent (Trufant, Hamlin, Boulware, Koutivides, maybe Tubbs) to put a very good, if not great defense on the field, given the right leadership. Crennel could definitely provide this impetus.

Whatever happens coaching-wise, I love the Hawks, & I will be there every week screaming like mad regardless, but I think it is time to bring in a coaching staff who can bring focus to this team, & force them to realize their potential. That’s my 2 cents. GO HAWKS!

2 words for Holmgren.  Brett Favre.

599323[/snapback]

It was who Holmgren had around him in GB. Go back and take a look at all his assistants who are/have been successful head coaches now in the nfl...that was the difference. He certainly does not have those young minds and attitudes around him in Seattle. Yes Brett was a factor but not as much as his assistants were. :D