[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So what is more important?

DMD

Which is more important?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important?

• Colts going undefeated in the regular season
    • Colts winning the Superbowl

Which do you think is more important? The Colts have to decide at some point if they should try to win every game with all their starters or to save players for the playoffs by limiting their playing time. Dungy already said he would rest some players.

I know the "ring is the thing", but the 1972 Dolphins became immortal not because they won a superbowl, it is because they were undefeated. No one meets with teammates every year because they won a superbowl. There have been what - 20 to 25 teams win the superbowl before?

I think the undefeated record is more impressive - it has only been done once ever. Each season has a superbowl winner.

I don't think one precludes the other.

I think they should play for the 16-0, injuries are unpredictable anyway.  Why mess with something that is firing on all cylinders.  An injury can occur to a player that has 'rested' 2 weeks as easily as it can one that has not rested.

Play ball!

1194233[/snapback]

This is the way I feel. they should go out and take care of business int eh regular season and keep the team in sync. Can you imagine the criticism that will follow if they rest their stars for a game or two and then come out flat and then lose their first playoff game :D

I voted for the Superbowl being more important. But an interesting follow-up poll would be "Which is more historical?"

Every year we have a Superbowl Champion. That's what each team strives for... to be the world champion and to get that ring. It is the most important goal IMO.

But because there is a Champion every year, I'd argue that the more historical and probably the more memorable event would be to go undefeated for the second time in league history and the first time since a 16-game schedule.

I voted for the Superbowl being more important.  But an interesting follow-up poll would be "Which is more historical?"

Every year we have a Superbowl Champion.  That's what each team strives for... to be the world champion and to get that ring.  It is the most important goal IMO.

But because there is a Champion every year, I'd argue that the more historical and probably the more memorable event would be to go undefeated for the second time in league history and the first time since a 16-game schedule.

1194240[/snapback]

The '72 Miami Dolphins celebrate their undefeated season EVERY year. Which team that won a SB or even 2 in a row celebrates that victory the next year?

The 16-0 season would be de-valued if they didn't cap it with a SB victory.

The 16-0 season would be de-valued if they didn't cap it with a SB victory.

1194244[/snapback]

I wonder how we would look at the '72 Miami Dolphins if they did not win a SB. my guess it would be the biggest choke.

kinda like the Seattle mariners who won like 120 regular season game and lost in the 1st round.

Edited by whitem0nkey

I think in the age of parity and salary caps, a 16-0 team is even more impressive than the 14-0 Dolphins.

Grits is absolutely right, though ... w/o the Super Bowl, people will continue to say Manning can't deliver the big game when it counts.

I think they have to want both. A chance to run the table at 19-0? It's just so rare that an NFL team even thinks about that possibility, let alone have a chance to pull it off.

That first half I saw in Cincy had to be the most impressive performance I've ever seen by an offense, and especially by a QB (interception aside). This team has to feel it has a chance for immortality that only a 19-0 season will bring. I'm sure they'd be happy just with the ring, though.

I wonder how we would look at the '72 Miami Dolphins if they did not win a SB. my guess it would be the biggest choke.

kinda like the Seattle mariners who won like 120 regular season game and lost in the 1st round.

1194254[/snapback]

Not nearly as high, because it would not have been a "the perfect season" without the Superbowl win.

I think that should be the main point. 16-0 is not really the accomplishment (as impressive as that would be). The accomplishment that is celebrated is the perfect season, not the perfect regular season.

There will be only one 2006 Superbowl champion. Nothing will ever change that. There has already been 1 undefeated season and there very well likely could be another one years from now.

My vote went to Superbowl first, undefeated second. And that likely will mean that even if I do make it to my fantasy postseason, I'll do lousy since I would be starting Manning and Harrison.

That little punk Lupica actually changed my mind yesterday.

You go for 19-0. His deal was that resting players does not guarantee a Super Bowl victory. If the game is pretty much decided then no problem pulling the studs but for something like this, why not go for it?

Now if you've got 1 or more in the loss column and everything wrapped up, my opinion would be different.

Which do you think is more important? The Colts have to decide at some point if they should try to win every game with all their starters or to save players for the playoffs by limiting their playing time. Dungy already said he would rest some players.

I know the "ring is the thing", but the 1972 Dolphins became immortal not because they won a superbowl, it is because they were undefeated. No one meets with teammates every year because they won a superbowl. There have been what - 20 to 25 teams win the superbowl before?

I think the undefeated record is more impressive - it has only been done once ever. Each season has a superbowl winner.

1194230[/snapback]

The Dolphins get together every year to celebrate the season they went 14-0 regular season and 3-0 post season. They don't get together just to celebrate going 14-0 in the regular season.

I'm quite certain that if they had gone 16-1, with the one loss being the Super Bowl that they wouldn't still be getting together to celebrate having gone 14-0 in the Regular season and 2-1 in the playoffs.

As a Colts fan I would love to see them go 19-0. But I also think it is smart to protect your stars. While resting them for the last two games doesn't mean they won't get hurt once the playoffs start it certainly minimizes their chances of getting hurt in a regular season game that really has no bearing on whether or not they win the Super Bowl.

Without hesitation I would say the importance of winning the Super Bowl is heads and shoulders above the importance of going 16-0 in the Regular Season.

Every year someone wins the Superbowl.

How many teams have gone 16-0 in the reg season before? Zero....

Id say go for history and nothing is guaranteed even if they go 16-0 in the playoffs.

Hell Chad Johnson on the Dan Patrick show already guaranteed a win over the Colts in the AFC Championship game. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I think the Super Bowl is more important and voted that way in this poll. But I agree with grits and others that the two are not mutually exclusive - if I'm Dungy and the Colts, I'd go for the whole enchilada. I don't think playing your regulars that last game or two necessarily reduces your chances of winning the Super Bowl.

Heard something interesting about those '72 Dolphins the other day on the radio - can't remember the specifics, but they were blessed with an absurdly easy schedule that year, something like only one winning team in the entire regular season. Not to take away from them, they beat every team that lined up across from them including in the playoffs when they obviously did play winning teams.