[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Young or Joe Montana?

Primetime9287

It's hard to vote against Joe, but I like Young better. 

I think he did do more with less.  Montana was the ultimate cool competitor when it was all on the line, but he wasn't as versatile or athletic as Young.  It is one of those things we'll never know.  What would young have done if he was at the helm during the Montana years? 

When young started on the ultimate stage in his only Superbowl, all he did was throw 6 TDs  :D  and win MVP.

913059[/snapback]

Yeah, against a near-pitiful chargers D. Jimmy, you are normally one of the most rational guys on this board, but your mormon homerism is REALLY showing here... :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a lifetime fan of HOF'er John Elway, my vote in this would be for Dan Marino, probably the best QB ever.

If I have to choose, it's no contest....Montana is still the essence that Young strives to achieve.

Ultimately, this is a stupid question....it's not even close.

Well since there is debate, I guess it's not really that stupid.  Read the very first post starting this thread, you'll see why it was asked.

913350[/snapback]

Your question was valid considering you were not able to watch them both, but Turf is correct... it's not even close. They purchased a defensive unit to win the big one with Steve in 1994.

Hey Turf.. remember when Marino cried in SB XIX ?

Agree with Savage.  Watching Montana, you could always tell you were watching greatness.  Young was great, but never had that "aura".

913396[/snapback]

Agreed. I'll give Steve Young respect, but with Montana, the game was never over until the fat lady sang.

I HATE Joe Montana.

But's he's still of the of the best ever.

That's really all you need to know. Young doesn't deserve a HOF spot IMO. A first ballot HOF? Gimme a break. There are a lot more players at any position that are far more deserving than him.

He's not even near the class of a Montana, Elway, or Marino...I dunno. I'm just baffled by this. Maybe it's his "magic underwear?" :D

I HATE Joe Montana.

But's he's still of the of the best ever.

That's really all you need to know.  Young doesn't deserve a HOF spot IMO.  A first ballot HOF?  Gimme a break.  There are a lot more players at any position that are far more deserving than him.

He's not even near the class of a Montana, Elway, or Marino...I dunno.  I'm just baffled by this.  Maybe it's his "magic underwear?"  :D

914421[/snapback]

that wouldn't have anything to do with a paritcular superbowl in new orleans now would it? :oldrazz:

i still think young is worthy of hof, just isn't as good as joe cool.

Montana was easily the most overrated QB ever who played in a new system that defenses had not figured out, with an offense that cost about twice what any other team had and padded his stats with dump offs and short passes that had yards after the catch.

Young was more mobile and a better arm. He just wasn't the man while the 49ers had a distinct advantage over the rest of the league.

that wouldn't have anything to do with a paritcular superbowl in new orleans now would it?  :oldrazz: 

i still think young is worthy of hof, just isn't as good as joe cool.

914490[/snapback]

Like I said...I hate Joe Montana.... :D

Even so...sorry, but Steve Young has no business being in Canton. He had a few good years, but nothing in comparison to other HOF QB's.

Like I said...I hate Joe Montana....  :D

Even so...sorry, but Steve Young has no business being in Canton.  He had a few good years, but nothing in comparison to other HOF QB's.

914529[/snapback]

Montana was better than Young. End of story.

Montana was easily the most overrated QB ever who played in a new system that defenses had not figured out, with an offense that cost about twice what any other team had and padded his stats with dump offs and short passes that had yards after the catch.

Young was more mobile and a better arm. He just wasn't the man while the 49ers had a distinct advantage over the rest of the league.

914521[/snapback]

Wow.. big statement by DMD here, and broken down well and simple. I agree with this one to an extent; However, Montana Magic was full of intangibles.. leadership during a quick-ticking clock, precise passing, collective competiveness, and how about his excitment to call the touchdown with his hands in the air before the striped men? There should be a :Touchdown: smiley in his honor!

914521[/snapback]

Wow.. big statement by DMD here, and broken down well and simple. I agree with this one to an extent; However, Montana Magic was full of intangibles.. leadership during a quick-ticking clock, precise passing, collective competiveness, and how about his excitment to call the touchdown with his hands in the air before the striped men? There should be a :Touchdown: smiley in his honor!

914742[/snapback]

You've got to put DMD's response into context:

He is a bitter Cowboy's fan whose reign ended because of Montana and the 49ers.

You've got to put DMD's response into context:

He is a bitter Cowboy's fan whose reign ended because of Montana and the 49ers.

915168[/snapback]

Agreed. He wasn't running Bill Walsh's new system when he was winning games in the fourth quarter in South Bend, either. Besides, he's also from the Burgh, which automatically makes him great IMO. :D

914521[/snapback]

:D I 100% agree. By the time Young had taken over, several teams were running the WCO and teams had seen it for about 10 years....and he put up BETTER numbers than Montana in the offense.

Part of Young's playoff problems were that he ran into a freakin' dynasty in the early 90s Cowboys; there wasn't a team that consistently was of that caliber in the NFC when Montana was the big man in San Fran.

914521[/snapback]

The voice of reason...

Good point. But let us also keep in mind that this new system became popular because Montana could run it and other teams wanted to emulate it. Young had four years to watch and learn. Montana made the WCO a system to copy because he had the smarts to learn it and run it without the benefit of having seen it first. It didn't take defenses forever to figure it out--but Montana knew what the defenses wanted to do and exploited them. That, my friends, makes him a great QB. So, yes, the system was new. But he had to be the first to make it run and he did that to perfection. And he could scramble as well--not as well as young, but Montana could and did make plays with his legs. He was WAY COOL under pressure.

But he had to be the first to make it run and he did that to perfection.

915208[/snapback]

Well, actually, Steve DeBerg and Virgil Carter ran it previously; Montana sat behind DeBerg and learned for much of his rookie year.

And Young's #s as backup show that he picked up the system very quickly; the only reason he sat is that the 9ers couldn't cut a healthy, MVP-level Joe Montana.

Well, actually, Steve DeBerg and Virgil Carter ran it previously; Montana sat behind DeBerg and learned for much of his rookie year.

And Young's #s as backup show that he picked up the system very quickly; the only reason he sat is that the 9ers couldn't cut a healthy, MVP-level Joe Montana.

915220[/snapback]

Good info here! I had forgotten about Deberg, and Carter rings no bells for me, I have to admit. Therefore, I will change my statement to this--Montana was the first to really make it work well . The ageless Deberg and the seldom mentioned Carter obvioulsy didn't do it as well as Montana did or we might be talking about one of them as one of the greatest to ever play (no offense to Deberg). Young, by his own admission, wanted to start and probably could have, but as you say, it was Montana's gig. He was the man.

Good info here! I had forgotten about Deberg, and Carter rings no bells for me

915275[/snapback]

Mid-season 1969, golden boy Cinci QB was tearing up the league; he promptly f'ed up his shoulder and was done. Cinci acquired weak-armed, mobile Carter and OC Bill Walsh had to figure out how to win with the stiff, so he came up with a scheme that emphasized the short, quick-rhythm passing game. Hence the WCO was born in Cincinnatti for a less-than-legendary QB - for some reason his 3200 yds and 19 tds over 2 seasons fail to resonate. :D Though he did lead the Bengals to an 8-6 record and scored the 7th most points in the league in 70.