[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Young or Joe Montana?

Primetime9287

Hey guys. Being only 18 years old I didn't get to see Joe Montana play at all and I only remember seeing maybe one season of Steve Young at the end of his career. Looking at numbers, it is very difficult to say who was better...

Montana (16 years NFL, 192 games)

63.2 CMP %, 40,551 Pass yards, 273 Pass TDs, 139 INTs, 1,676 Rush Yards, 20 Rush TDs, 4 Super Bowls, 3 Super Bowl MVPs, 8x Pro Bowler

Young (15 years NFL, 169 games)

64.3 CMP %, 33,124 Pass Yards, 232 Pass TDs, 107 INTs, 4,239 Rush Yards, 43 Rush TDs, 3 Super Bowls, 1 Super Bowl MVP, 7x Pro Bowler

Teach me something boys! This could be a no brainer but I'm not familiar with either one of them. :D

Edited by Primetime9287

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some may disagree, but they played in completely different eras, although one followed the other. Additionally, they were completely different QBs. Young was a scrambler, Montana was a pocket passer. One thing they DID have in common, though, was a certain Jerry Rice.

I'd be hard-pressed to say who was "better"... I seriously doubt any argument for one or the other would fully convince me, too.

Stats can't show you the intangibles though. There was just something about watching Montana (when he was really on) that convinced you that you were witnessing greatness. I have nothing but respect for Young, but I just never got that same kind of rush when I watched him.

Stats can't show you the intangibles though.  There was just something about watching Montana (when he was really on) that convinced you that you were witnessing greatness.  I have nothing but respect for Young, but I just never got that same kind of rush when I watched him.

912692[/snapback]

I'll agree there. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Young play with "worse" Niner teams? Didn't he make "more out of less"?

Not saying the Young-led Niners were a bad team... I just recall that the Montana-led Niners were next to unstoppable, while the Young-led team had to work for their victories a bit more.

Montana led the niners to three SB victories compared to Young's 1.  Montana, I beleive is the best in the modern era.

912731[/snapback]

Montana was the QB for 4 Super Bowl winning teams.

Edited by CaptainHook

I like both. I have a signed ball from Steve Young, but have a signed game warn helmet and a signed jersey from Montana, so while I really like Young, Montana is my all time favorite. I think coparing Young and Favre is more comparible than Young and Montana.

Both. If they were both on the same tean playing each other I would pick Montana slightly due to his being incredibly cool under poressure. He didn't scramble much but would move slightly in the pocket to get extra time.

Having both (Young as a backup) was best.

Not only was Joe better than Steve....he's the greatest QB of all-time. :D As Savage said, you just got that feeling that you were witnessing an all-time great when you watched him play. Even when SF let him go and he went to the Chiefs...I'll never forget that first time they played....Montana lit them up on MNF and the Chiefs won the game. Also, the comeback win against Denver on MNF....and those 2 great memories were of him PAST his prime. :D Joe was a big-time, big stage performer. No other QB was/is better, especially in the clutch.

Edited by Hitman

Not only was Joe better than Steve....he's the greatest QB of all-time.  :D  As Savage said, you just got that feeling that you were witnessing an all-time great when you watched him play.  Even when SF let him go and he went to the Chiefs...I'll never forget that first time they played....Montana lit them up on MNF and the Chiefs won the game.  Also, the comeback win against Denver on MNF....and those 2 great memories were of him PAST his prime.  :D  Joe was a big-time, big stage performer.  No other QB was/is better, especially in the clutch.

913031[/snapback]

Gotta agree here. Young was fun to watch, and he was great with his own talents, but Montana was magical. Watching him in big games, there was a sense of no-doubt that he was going to win the game.

It's hard to vote against Joe, but I like Young better.

I think he did do more with less. Montana was the ultimate cool competitor when it was all on the line, but he wasn't as versatile or athletic as Young. It is one of those things we'll never know. What would young have done if he was at the helm during the Montana years?

When young started on the ultimate stage in his only Superbowl, all he did was throw 6 TDs :D and win MVP.

It's hard to vote against Joe, but I like Young better. 

I think he did do more with less.  Montana was the ultimate cool competitor when it was all on the line, but he wasn't as versatile or athletic as Young.  It is one of those things we'll never know.  What would young have done if he was at the helm during the Montana years? 

When young started on the ultimate stage in his only Superbowl, all he did was throw 6 TDs  :D  and win MVP.

913059[/snapback]

Young was great, but he did not have less. The "hired" 1994 defense helped more than people seem to realize.

Primetime- This quick read should sum up the answer for you...

DeBartolo -- determined not to fall short again to the Cowboys -- acquired a swarm of free agents for the 1995 season, lead by Deion Sanders, Ken Norton Jr. and Gary Plummer. The pressure on Seifert to win another Super Bowl was enormous, but Seifert and the 49ers came through, climaxing with their 49-26 victory over San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated and Pro Football Weekly all named Seifert coach of the year. ``To convince all those cynics still yearning for Montana and Walsh,'' the New York Times wrote, ``the 49ers had to win with Young the quarterback on Seifert's team.''