[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When you think of Marino

polksalet

what pops into your head? I think of him being a quiiter and not having any guts. This is closely followed by his girly fit he threw near the end of his career.

He threw for a lot of yards but he is the classic choke artist. He has no place in the HOF.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still wish to this day the steelers would have taken the hometown kid on draft day.. out of everyone who passed on him, the steelers hurt the most because they took a qb who ended up being a bust and could have landed a legend.. born in PA, played at Pitt.. what a story that could have been.. say bye bye to the cowboys of the 90s.. i dont care who the steelers would have had or not had if marino played for them.. they would be the team of the 90s. oh well.. hopefully roethlisberger is the second coming the steelers finally landed and got lucky with a pick.

EDIT: my bad.. the steelers didnt take a qb.. they took DT Gabriel Rivera.. what a pick that turned out to be :D

Edited by jjpro11

i still wish to this day the steelers would have taken the hometown kid on draft day..  out of everyone who passed on him, the steelers hurt the most because they took a qb who ended up being a bust and could have landed a legend..  born in PA, played at Pitt..  what a story that could have been..  say bye bye to the cowboys of the 90s..  i dont care who the steelers would have had or not had if marino played for them..  they would be the team of the 90s.  oh well..  hopefully roethlisberger is the second coming the steelers finally landed and got lucky with a pick.

913475[/snapback]

Never been a Marino fan, but you could be right. That superbowl loss to the cowboys was close.

what pops into your head? I think of him being a quiiter and not having any guts. This is closely followed by his girly fit he threw near the end of his career.

He threw for a lot of yards but he is the classic choke artist. He has no place in the HOF.

913387[/snapback]

#1 Boomer Esiason

The other thing that pops to mind is when he had to "scramble" or tuck the ball and run toward the end of his career...it was painful to watch.

He deserves The Hall, there's no doubt about that but I always remember him SCREAMING at a lineman if he was so much as touched by a Def player and heaven help the WR who dropped a ball thrown at a million miles an hour. Guy shad to play with earplugs, and not for the opposing crowd.

He deserves The Hall, there's no doubt about that but I always remember him SCREAMING at a lineman if he was so much as touched by a Def player and heaven help the WR who dropped a ball thrown at a million miles an hour. Guy shad to play with earplugs, and not for the opposing crowd.

913486[/snapback]

Amazing, he was pissed at the O-line for not doing their job? At millions of dollars a year, receivers had no excuse for not catching passes at the same speed? And again you'd chastize him for being mad?

I'm not defending the man necessarily, but I fail to see the legitimacy of your statements.

Either way, Elway is already a HOF member. Guess that's what's important to me.

913387[/snapback]

That's just because your an idiot polk.

Why don't you just crawl back under your rock.

:D

913615[/snapback]

Yeah yeah, I know.

This is a very special weekend for me as a Dolphin fan. Dan is my hero in alot of ways. I know I sound like a 17 year old girl, but as a life long Dolphin fan, Dan was and will always be our guy. I was at UM during his hay days in the mid 80's and it was an exciting time for me. This weekend brings it all back. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to help my son get ready to go to college this week, I would of been in Canton.

I shouldn't let someone like polk get to me, but waking up and seeing such a stupid post first thing in the morning caught me off guard.

Good job polk. Your bottom feeder status reigns supreme.

I think he deserves the HOF but personally I didn't care for him much as a QB. I mean his stats are impressive and all but I had no respect for him as a leader. More like an elderly Ryan Leaf. I did feel for him toward the end of his career when he would just hobble back to the huddle and yeah screaming at his line or anyone who dropped a pass. But was anyone yelling at him for his ints. Anyway I like him more now than I ever did as a player. Just personal preference is all.

I think he deserves the HOF but personally I didn't care for him much as a QB.  I mean his stats are impressive and all but I had no respect for him as a leader.  More like an elderly Ryan Leaf.  I did feel for him toward the end of his career when he would just hobble back to the huddle and yeah screaming at his line or anyone who dropped a pass.  But was anyone yelling at him for his ints.  Anyway I like him more now than I ever did as a player.  Just personal preference is all.

913636[/snapback]

Elderly Ryan Leaf??? While you might not of had any respect for him as a player or a leader, his team-mates certainly did. Those same players who were yelled at would tell you in a second that Dan's leadership was second to none. He might of yelled and got in their face but as O.J.McDuffie (who was at the other end of alot of that yelling) once said it was Dans will to win that was most important during a game. Not feelings or hurt ego's but winning.

Most of those players had the upmost respect for Dan and his leadership abilities.

How many of Ryan Leafs team-mates had respect for him?

Please, making that kind of comparison is just plain dumb.

What pops into my head is "if only he'd ever had a D and a running game..."

Remember Johnny Bronco got to the big game a few times, but never won until he had TD to share (or perhaps shoulder the bulk of) the load. Though in all fairness, there were some darn good defensive players on those 86, 88, and 89 Denver teams.

913387[/snapback]

One of the best QBs to ever play the game.

913387[/snapback]

...what's funny is this isn't what pops into my head when I think of Marino, but it's pretty close to what pops into my head when I think of polksalet. :D

...what's funny is this isn't what pops into my head when I think of Marino, but it's pretty close to what pops into my head when I think of polksalet.  :D

913840[/snapback]

It has already been proven that people who share you ideology like tp blame others for their own failings and quit. I can see why you love the guy.

Give me Bradshaw any day.

Marino had lots of talent and great surrounding cast and ultimately blamed his own cast for letting him down.

Clinton is great speaker and great politician and had the tech bubble to ride to success. He ultimately lied and blamed everyone else for his failings. Exactly the same style as Marino.

Marino is no Terry Bradshaw. I'll take substance and integrity over a conman any day.

Elderly Ryan Leaf??? While you might not of had any respect for him as a player or a leader, his team-mates certainly did. Those same players who were yelled at would tell you in a second that Dan's leadership was second to none. He might of yelled and got in their face but as O.J.McDuffie (who was at the other end of alot of that yelling) once said it was Dans will to win that was most important during a game. Not feelings or hurt ego's but winning.

Most of those players had the upmost respect for Dan and his leadership abilities.

How many of Ryan Leafs team-mates had respect for him?

Please, making that kind of comparison is just plain dumb.

913647[/snapback]

Funny I think there are many QB's who display great leadership ability on the field and who want to win and who their teammates like, Farve comes to mind. I never remember seeing Farve continually get in his players faces because they dropped a ball or because he got sacked. I'm not questioning Dans ability as a QB or his desire to win...clearly he was a great QB. I am simply saying his way of handling bad plays made by his teammates was something I never respected...his emotions reminded me of Ryan Leaf when something didn't go his way. Now if his team mates got something positive from that type of behavior then great...thats how they needed to be motivated in order to catch his passes, not miss a block etc. It's too bad they could not have been more internally motivated.

If Manning keeps on throwing the ball at this pace, Dan Marino may end up in the Dan Fouts category. Right now Marino is easily discussed in the top 3 QBs of all times, with of course the rub being that he never got the rings. But what validates him is the fact that he has all those records, when they start falling one by one, he will be relegated to the next tier of QBs, the almost greats.

As a Pats fan it was very hard to like him (esp when the Pats took Tony Eason over Marinao) but he undoubtedly was a great player (still chuckle at the fake spike over the Jets) but he does seem like a petulant short tempered type A personality, and I find it ironic that he is going to be displaced by another petulant jerk: Peyton Manning.

Of course what will stay with me forever will be that look on his face last year :D:D