[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When you think of Marino

polksalet

If Manning keeps on throwing the ball at this pace, Dan Marino may end up in the Dan Fouts category.  Right now Marino is easily discussed in the top 3 QBs of all times, with of course the rub being that he never got the rings.  But what validates him is the fact that he has all those records, when they start falling one by one, he will be relegated to the next tier of QBs, the almost greats.

What continues to escape notice is that with another two average Favre years, #4 will pass Marino in a few of the major categories. :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing that pops into my head, everytime I think of Marino as a player...

maybe the most amazing, compact release I've ever seen. The guy's delivery of the football was textbook.

Marino had lots of talent and great surrounding cast and ultimately blamed his own cast for letting him down.

913881[/snapback]

Over the prime of his career (84-96, his last year with an avg/att over 7 - a trifle arbitrary, I know), Marino had ONE RB go to the Pro Bowl - Keith freakin' Byars. There were several OLs, but over that 14 year span only 3 got multiple bids - Dwight Stephenson, Richmond Webb, and Keith Sims. While plenty of defenders went, Miami's D was in 10th or better in yds 3 times, and in points twice - mostly finishing in the bottom half of the league's standings in both categories.

Marino didn't have as much around him as you'd like to make yourself think.

What continues to escape notice is that with another two average Favre years, #4 will pass Marino in a few of the major categories.  :D

913916[/snapback]

Just because I had nothing better to do...

Favre is 11,627 yds, 44 tds, 661 comp, and 1353 att behind Marino. Assuming no major injury or extreme falloff in production, his averages over 13 yrs of 335 comp, 538 att, 3825 yds, and 29 tds would have him past Marino in tds and completions by '06 and in att by '07, and being just short on yards at '07.

Now, that's all contingent on Favre playing at a high level for 3 more years; I'd say he's got at least 2 more good years where he should be at or near his averages, and then it's a matter of him either hanging it up or hanging around and squeaking past Marino a la Emmitt Smith.

What continues to escape notice is that with another two average Favre years, #4 will pass Marino in a few of the major categories.  :D

913916[/snapback]

Indeed, it will be the death of a thousand cuts, as his records fall to various QBs. manning just could be one of the bigger butchers IMO, and you rightfully point out that Favre has an outside chance of supplanting a few of them as well. If it were all Manning, then Marino would just be the guy right after manning, but I think that within a decade marino will be out of the "greatest QB" discussion because his numbers won't hold up. Records fall, SB titles are forever.

Indeed, it will be the death of a thousand cuts, as his records fall to various QBs.  manning just could be one of the bigger butchers IMO, and you rightfully point out that Favre has an outside chance of supplanting a few of them as well.  If it were all Manning, then Marino would just be the guy right after manning, but I think that within a decade marino will be out of the "greatest QB" discussion because his numbers won't hold up.  Records fall, SB titles are forever.

913995[/snapback]

I don't know about that; to supplant Marino at anything, a player is going to have to play at a TREMENDOUS level for a LONG time. It's a testament to Favre that he was able to do that; look at some of the other QBs who have been dominant but not even approached Marino's stats - heck, two of them are going into the Hall of Fame this weekend (Kelly and Young).

Amazing, he was pissed at the O-line for not doing their job?  At millions of dollars a year, receivers had no excuse for not catching passes at the same speed?  And again you'd chastize him for being mad?

I'm not defending the man necessarily, but I fail to see the legitimacy of your statements.

913490[/snapback]

Being a QB means getting knocked on your ass from time to time. It's part of the job description.

I'll put it another way: can you name any QB that will SCREAM at his O line or receivers in the middle of a game, calling them out in front of everyone, on a consistent basis? I cannot, and think that shows more professionalism than he had. There is a time and place to have those addressed, and walking back to the next huddle in front of the OTHER team is not the place to do it with everyone watching. He wouldn't even wait to do it in the huddle.

It was classless, really.

I don't know about that; to supplant Marino at anything, a player is going to have to play at a TREMENDOUS level for a LONG time. It's a testament to Favre that he was able to do that; look at some of the other QBs who have been dominant but not even approached Marino's stats - heck, two of them are going into the Hall of Fame this weekend (Kelly and Young).

913998[/snapback]

Yeah just looked at his numbers again. Though he has lost a few records in the last few seasons, the biggies do seem out of reach for the time being.

Hard to look all this up on the nfl site that sucks donkey balls. what is that good site with all the nfl stats in history? I keep on forgetting to save it :D

what pops into your head?

913387[/snapback]

For some reason (maybe because I was watching that game on the tube) I always think of one play when I hear "Marino":

"...the Jets started the [1994] season 6-5 and played Miami in late November. But in a game against the Miami Dolphins, quarterback Dan Marino fooled the Jets into thinking he would spike the ball to stop the clock, then threw the winning touchdown to Mark Ingram for an improbable victory. The play came to be known as "The Fake Spike," and the Jets never recovered, finishing the season 6-10, last place in the AFC East."

Edited by ts

Over the prime of his career (84-96, his last year with an avg/att over 7 - a trifle arbitrary, I know), Marino had ONE RB go to the Pro Bowl - Keith freakin' Byars. There were several OLs, but over that 14 year span only 3 got multiple bids - Dwight Stephenson, Richmond Webb, and Keith Sims. While plenty of defenders went, Miami's D was in 10th or better in yds 3 times, and in points twice - mostly finishing in the bottom half of the league's standings in both categories.

Marino didn't have as much around him as you'd like to make yourself think.

913970[/snapback]

Abdul-Jabar didn't make the pro bowl but he did lead the nfl in rushing td's one year. i think he had 16 in '97.

How were his wr's? :D

Yeah just looked at his numbers again.  Though he has lost a few records in the last few seasons, the biggies do seem out of reach for the time being.

Hard to look all this up on the nfl site that sucks donkey balls.  what is that good site with all the nfl stats in history?  I keep on forgetting to save it :D

914031[/snapback]

pro-football-reference.com

maybe?

Nowadays?

Crappy pregame show talking head. Him and Sanders were impossible to watch.

I stopped switching over to them even when they other shows were on commercial.

That and how befuddled he was in the Super Bowl against the 49ers. :D

Abdul-Jabar didn't make the pro bowl but he did lead the nfl in rushing td's one year. i think he had 16 in '97.

How were his wr's? :D

914117[/snapback]

:D You know the answer to that - but the point is without a good running game or D, your chance of winning a championship decreases tremendously, and Marino had little to no support in those areas for the bulk of his career.

:D You know the answer to that - but the point is without a good running game or D, your chance of winning a championship decreases tremendously, and Marino had little to no support in those areas for the bulk of his career.

914179[/snapback]

Sorta like, Elway? :D:D

:D

I have great respect for his talent at the qb position but one thing that pops in my head is that he was such a whiny crybaby on the field. he was always yelling and bitching and showing up his team mates on the field.He was a fierce competitorand an amazing qb though. He falls in that category of players that you may have liked to have seen him get a ring even if you werent a Fins fan.

For some reason (maybe because I was watching that game on the tube) I always think of one play when I hear "Marino":

"...the Jets started the [1994] season 6-5 and played Miami in late November. But in a game against the Miami Dolphins, quarterback Dan Marino fooled the Jets into thinking he would spike the ball to stop the clock, then threw the winning touchdown to Mark Ingram for an improbable victory. The play came to be known as "The Fake Spike," and the Jets never recovered, finishing the season 6-10, last place in the AFC East."

914070[/snapback]

:D

i still wish to this day the steelers would have taken the hometown kid on draft day..  out of everyone who passed on him, the steelers hurt the most because they took a qb who ended up being a bust and could have landed a legend..  born in PA, played at Pitt..  what a story that could have been..  say bye bye to the cowboys of the 90s..  i dont care who the steelers would have had or not had if marino played for them..  they would be the team of the 90s.  oh well..  hopefully roethlisberger is the second coming the steelers finally landed and got lucky with a pick.

EDIT:  my bad..  the steelers didnt take a qb..  they took DT Gabriel Rivera..  what a pick that turned out to be  :D

913475[/snapback]

Although I would have liked to see Marino in Black & Gold I don't think it is fair to get on the Steelers for the the Gabe Rivera pick. The guy was in a car accident and got paralyzed. That is hardly a typical "Bust" situation. Nobody could have predicted that happening.

Funny I think there are many QB's who display great leadership ability on the field and who want to win and who their teammates like, Farve comes to mind.  I never remember seeing Farve continually get in his players faces because they dropped a ball or because he got sacked.  I'm not questioning Dans ability as a QB or his desire to win...clearly he was a great QB.  I am simply saying his way of handling bad plays made by his teammates was something I never respected...his emotions reminded me of Ryan Leaf when something didn't go his way.  Now if his team mates got something positive from that type of behavior then great...thats how they needed to be motivated in order to catch his passes, not miss a block etc.  It's too bad they could not have been more internally motivated.

913897[/snapback]

I've seen Favre get up after a sack, spike the ball to the ground and go off on the line while walking to the huddle. And ya know what, there's nothing wrong with that. They don't need to be motivated internally or given a time out. They need a smack upside the helmet for taking a play off and that's what they got from Marino or any other "leader", QB in the league. Save the Dr. Spock stuff for the kids. It really doesn't work with them either. :D

Come on dopey, that's just the ludes talking.  Ok, HEROIN maybe.  Are you frikking kidding me?

That's as close to a sig line as I've ever seen.....  :D

913484[/snapback]

I should have been more clear, my reference to Boomer was because of Boomer's comment about some QB not wanting to be another "Dan Marino" (as in no SB wins)...while Dan Marino was there to hear it...

But on the serious side, when I hear Dan Marino, one of the things I think of quick-releases.

Edited by Gunther