[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When you think of Marino

polksalet

I've seen Favre get up after a sack, spike the ball to the ground and go off on the line while walking to the huddle. And ya know what, there's nothing wrong with that. They don't need to be motivated internally or given a time out. They need a smack upside the helmet for taking a play off and that's what they got from Marino or any other "leader", QB in the league. Save the Dr. Spock stuff for the kids. It really doesn't work with them either. :D

914370[/snapback]

:D:D Yeah, ok you must be right :D ... :D

Edited by devilwoman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is most of the posters on this string never saw Marino play in his prime... they probably saw him in the last 3 or 4 years of his career.

Anyone who watched the NFL in the mid to late 80's, however, can attest to the fact that the NFL has never seen a QB before or since with the pure throwing skills of Marino. Elway, Favre, Manning, Montana, etc... they are all great in their own way, but none could throw with Dan.

Any talk about what a surly guy he was on the field may be true - he wanted to win and spoke his mind to his team mates. He has always been a class guy off the field though... humble, great family man, and devotes a great deal of his time and energy helping others.

I live in Denver, and the only thing I ever hear about Elway helping is is car dealerships. :D

Sorta like, Elway? 

914204[/snapback]

Elway had top ten defenses - in pts allowed in 83,84,87,89, 91, 93, and 96-98 and in yds allowed in 87, 89, 91 and 96-98.

He also had several 1000 yd rushers (and Pro Bowlers) in Sammy Winder, Bobby Humphrey, Gaston Green, and most importantly Terrell Davis and top 10 rushing offenses in 84, 89, 91, and 96-98. Marino NEVER had a 1000 yd back until Abdul-Jabbar arrived and NEVER had a top 10 rushing offense. And Miami's defense was not as consistently good as the Broncos'.

Elways as "lone ranger carrying the Broncos to the SB" is a myth.

I've always respected Marino as a player, but as a celebrity I've always disliked him. He's got an ego and an elitist attitude that rises to the surface, even when he tries to hide it. Anyone who watches NBC or HBO knows what I'm talking about.

I hated to way he treated his on field teammates, and I never recall him shouldering the responsibility for his teams failures.

I do believe him to be the best pure passer I've seen, but I never did think of him as a winner. Favre, Montana, Elway, Kelly, and Young were all QB's who displayed the "winners" mentality I loved to see in players. Especially players in the leadership roles. I just never did see it in Dan, which is a shame IMO.

Marino's confidence has always been seen as arrogance. But if you knew what he spent on the community of Miami and his charitable work, or how he treated his linemen and his WRs, you might not feel that way. He truly felt that he could throw the ball anywhere, and that confidence allowed him to do some pretty impressive things. It isn't bragging when you hold that many records. Had they given him a true running game, you might have had a championship in south FLA. I'm sure he chewed out his teammates at times. But in his defense, he carried the team on more than a few occasions. He expected a lot from those guys because he gave a lot. Personally I have no problem with that.

Quickest release I have ever seen..

edit:  He is the Whompers of quarterbacks... :D

914289[/snapback]

That too - he was quick on the trigger.

Elway had top ten defenses - in pts allowed in 83,84,87,89, 91, 93, and 96-98 and in yds allowed in 87, 89, 91 and 96-98.

He also had several 1000 yd rushers (and Pro Bowlers) in Sammy Winder, Bobby Humphrey, Gaston Green, and most importantly Terrell Davis and top 10 rushing offenses in 84, 89, 91, and 96-98. Marino NEVER had a 1000 yd back until Abdul-Jabbar arrived and NEVER had a top 10 rushing offense. And Miami's defense was not as consistently good as the Broncos'.

Elways as "lone ranger carrying the Broncos to the SB" is a myth.

915022[/snapback]

:D There's a reason no teammate of Dan's never broke 1000 yards & he holds the all-time passing attempts because of it. :D Shula had very different offensive philosophies.

With the exception of Davis, the other Broncos backs you listed were marginal at best. Humphrey was the only one that ever broke 1200 yards or better than 4.0 yards per carry. The only reason those other cats did is because of Reeve's 3 yards and a clould of dust comittment to the running game. :D

I don't think there was much of a difference between the defenses, but would give the edge to Miami based on memory alone.

I disagree - I think Elway willed those first 3 Broncos teams to the Superbowl.

SACKS: For the first eight years of Marino’s career (1983-90), the Dolphins allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL … that helps a little.

Oh, and one final arguement: wins, baby! :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

When will this trio makes the hof

Sammy Winder, Bobby Humphrey, Gaston Green :D

915588[/snapback]

That's 3 more Pro Bowls and 4 more 1000 yd seasons than Marino had over the same period. :D

Edit: and the ONE Pro Bowl back Marino had has two big caveats: Byars made it in '93, the year Marino blew out his achilles; and it was an "attaboy" award for being a gamer, not for dominance - Byars had 269 rushing yds and 61 catches for 613 yds, and 6 total tds.

If you REALLY want to skew things, you could throw in what happened when Shanny arrived - 4 1000 yds seasons and 3 Pro Bowls for TD - which gave Denver 4 straight years in the top 5 for rushing yds - as opposed to 1 1000 yd season (with a 3 yds and a cloud of dust average per carry) and 0 Pro Bowls, and 0 finishes above 19th in rushing yds for Abdul-Jabbar and Co.

Edited by Chavez

I don't think there was much of a difference between the defenses, but would give the edge to Miami based on memory alone.

I disagree - I think Elway willed those first 3 Broncos teams to the Superbowl.

915438[/snapback]

From 84-95, when both Johnny Bronco and Marino took over as full-time starters, and before Denver realized Terrell Davis could be a dominant RB, here are the top ten finishes:

Miami - 7th in pts in '84; 4th in pts, 8th in yds in '90; 10th in yds in '92; 10th in pts in '95.

Den - 2nd in pts in '84; 7th in pts, 9th in yds in '86; 1st in pts, 3rd in yds in '89; 3rd in pts, 7th in yds in '91; 10th in pts in 93.

So that's 5 appearances in the top ten for Miami's D, and 8 for Denver - and their 89 and 91 defenses put up numbers that would put them in the top of the league.

Your memory is wrong

From 84-95, when both Johnny Bronco and Marino took over as full-time starters, and before Denver realized Terrell Davis could be a dominant RB, here are the top ten finishes:

Miami - 7th in pts in '84; 4th in pts, 8th in yds in '90; 10th in yds in '92; 10th in pts in '95.

Den - 2nd in pts in '84; 7th in pts, 9th in yds in '86; 1st in pts, 3rd in yds in '89; 3rd in pts, 7th in yds in '91; 10th in pts in 93.

So that's 5 appearances in the top ten for Miami's D, and 8 for Denver - and their 89 and 91 defenses put up numbers that would put them in the top of the league.

Your memory is wrong

917045[/snapback]

5 and 8 appearances in the top ten, huh? Doesn't sound like a big difference, especially when you consider the number of points that represents. Give Elway the edge on D, but it's not huge.

Wanna talk offensive lines? :D

I think of the game Dan lost to SMU in the Cotton bowl and the game Joe Montana won over Houston in the Cotton bowl. Dan went on to win no Superbowl victories and Joe won four NFL titles, I know it doesn't really mean anything but I remember both of those Cotton bowl games and to me it somehow set the tone for their pro careers in Championship games.

I guess I'm showing my age but Bart Starr, Kenny Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, and Dan Fouts might disagree with you as far as your assessment of pure, throwing skills. I'm not a fan of any of them to be honest with you. But then I grew up with the likes of the dreaded Mike Phipps, the unheralded Brian Sipe, and the "great one" with cement shoes ... Bernie Kosar.

Edited by Deacon Bill

Wanna talk offensive lines? 

917097[/snapback]

I wouldn't quibble on either end; Marino certainly had a better line by a few measures, but sack % is a bit misleading, due to Marino's hair-trigger release. Dwight Stephenson, Richmond Webb, and Keith Sims were the only elite OLs that Marino had by my reckoning - though it was definitely an uptick over Elway's ZERO until Zimmerman arrived.

I guess I'm showing my age but Bart Starr, Kenny Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, and Dan Fouts might disagree with you as far as your assessment of pure, throwing skills.

920536[/snapback]

Actually, the name that I usually hear from old-timers regarding the best pure passer is usually Sonny Jurgensen.