[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This year's Marc Boerigter Award candidates?

Todd1

Who are candidates to be this year's "Marc Boerigter"? Someone who will be overvalued after a big year and hurt someon's draft?

This is different from your typical bust, not guys who are going to have a down season due to team changes, etc.. I'm trying to think of other classic guys who have had a "Marc Boerigter" type season. Boerigter had 8 TDs in 03 and did nothing in 04. Quincy Morgan, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Cecil Collins, Rod Gardner, etc. all seem to fit.

I still laugh a my friend for drafting Boerigter in the 6th rd last year....

Edited by Todd1

not quite what I'm getting at, I mean guys who had decent stats last year and aren't going to repeat it. A One Year Wonder prediction.

More like a Brandon Stokely, Marcus Robinson, Larry Johnson (9 TD, 500yds), TJ Duckett, Nick Goings, Griffin, Droughns, Brees (?), Volek, etc..

Another example, when Minn drafted Moss and had Jake Reed as the 3rd WR, people seemed to think that they could perpetually support having 3 WR's catch 70+ balls and 8-10 TDs a piece. Year 2 of Moss and Jake Reed was a non-factor fantasy-wise.

Edited by Todd1

I think that Stokely, Droughns, Drew Bennett, Drew Brees and Muhsin Muhammad (who was a WR4 until he started going nuts-o last year) are all prime candidates.

942445[/snapback]

That's a good list.

I'd add Kevin Jones - that guy is more overvalued than a 1999 internet stock.

I think that Stokely, Droughns, Drew Bennett, Drew Brees and Muhsin Muhammad (who was a WR4 until he started going nuts-o last year) are all prime candidates.

942445[/snapback]

Well, some for obvious reasons, with their circumstances having changed dramatically.

I'd add Kevin Jones - that guy is more overvalued than a 1999 internet stock.

942455[/snapback]

I disagree with this a little bit. The Lions have three potentially dominant WRs so there is no way teams can load up against the run. In addition, Jones is supposed to take on a bigger role... this year staying in on more third downs.

You can get him at around the turn in 12 team leagues and pair him with Rudi / Dillon / Barber and you've got a decent RB corp.

Stallworth.

942473[/snapback]

Isn't he sort of perennially on this sort of a list?

Actually, when did he "come from nowhere" (like Boerigter did a couple of years ago)? He was front and center from day one, and never really ever did very much, regardless...

As much as it pains me to say this.....TJ Housh. He really came on strong the last half of 2004. Palmer likes him. He worked hard in camp to move into #2...albeit Warrick was still gimpy and Kelley wasn't showing much.

But even though Palmer had too many incompletions on Saturday.....TJ dropped that beautiful pass down the sidelines that had touchdown written all over it. He'd dropped two prior to that one (one pretty much uncatchable). But then Kelley Washington came in....same play......45 yd TD. And TJ's day was done.

For the rest of the game....they had WRs #3-#12 in there, trying to see who came to play. :D I still can't believe they haven't cut any WRs yet.....LOL.

Housh may have to now work really hard to keep his #2 slot at this point. And I really needed him to have a nice year this year. :D Maybe all is not lost....but I thought it was notable.

Edited by SteelBunz

As a Bengals homer I hate to agree with the Housmanzadeh bust, but I must. This guy did nothing for 3 years and then purely out of necessity he got some passes thrown his way. Remember he was a 7th round draft pick. That has to say something. That the Bengals drafted 2 more rookie WRs should tell you more.

Outside of CJ, the Bengal WR corp is a mess IMO. TJ may start the year as the #2, but I have serious reservations about his year-long potential.

I wouldn't go near him except as my #4.

Good topic.

Some will disagree, but I'd say Mewelde Moore. He didn't have a huge season. He had three good games against mediocre defenses, and people talk about him like he's destined for greatness. I don't see it. The man has never even seen the endzone. If you have Bennett, fine; he's a good handcuff option. If he falls to you late, fine. However, to reach for him while there are still starters on the board is nuts.

you guys are scaring me. in the doh league, i drafted houshman and stokley to compete for my number 3 wr position. i know stokley is hurt and wouldn't play early on. houshy now will get pushed by the rookie and whoever emerges...washington,warrick,etc. good thing i got lucky picking up travis taylor and sammie parker later. i still think stokley will put up decent numbers, will he be in your lineup that week though???? :D

I think that Stokely, Droughns, Drew Bennett, Drew Brees and Muhsin Muhammad are all prime candidates.

942445[/snapback]

What muck says, with the caveat that I think Drew Bennett is in a VERY favorable situation with Norm Chow as his OC.

Mewelde Moore...has never even seen the endzone.

942530[/snapback]

Hey now, he's seen the endzone....

....he's just never been in there personally.

at RB (maybe we could call this one the lamar smith award), i'm a little leery of rudi johnson and lamont jordan.  just a little.

942472[/snapback]

I can see the Jordan doubt - can he carry the burden of being "the man"? (I personally think so, but some of the stats I've seen have been outrageous), but Rudi Johnson has a solid year-and-a-half of very good production under his belt, I think he's more than proven himself.

There is no way Tiki Barber comes close to the numbers he had last year. I think he's going down fast this year and Jacobs is waiting to take his job...or at least his TDs.

If we're talking a bust relative to how high he's being drafted/valued, I'm going with one Willis McGahee. I've seen him creeping up as high as #4 which is insane for a guy who essentially had a half-season of production (albeit great production).

Said it 1,000 times, but evvvvvery year there's an ATrain/William Green/Barlow who explodes in the 2nd half, and is then valued way too high the following season. This year's candidates, are McGahee, Julius and Kevin, and I just think McGahee is in the worst position of them all, has the worst OL/offensive situation, IMO. Kevin's offnese is well documented; Julius at least has Rivera et al and a serviceable/proven veteran QB throwing the ball; McGahee's combo of pooor OL and Losman just scares me. He has the talent to get through stacked fronts very often, but will have games where he disappears, I fear, and will take a beating this year.

edit: Didn't mean to rhyme at the end there like a complete geek. :doah:

Edited by msaint

Good topic.

Some will disagree, but I'd say Mewelde Moore. He didn't have a huge season. He had three good games against mediocre defenses, and people talk about him like he's destined for greatness. I don't see it. The man has never even seen the endzone. If you have Bennett, fine; he's a good handcuff option. If he falls to you late, fine. However, to reach for him while there are still starters on the board is nuts.

942530[/snapback]

Yeah, I disagree.