[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Timing error in NE/PIT game

Whiskey Pimp

I'm listening to the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio right now. He's talking to a Steeler writer about the fact that there was an error on the clock at the beginning of the 4th quarter and 1 full minute was added to the time after the first 2 plays. Apparently the Steelers submitted an inquiry to the league on this. Sorry, no link.

Fourth Quarter

Pittsburgh Steelers continued...

1-10-PIT30 (15:00) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete to W.Parker (R.Seymour). Pressure by #52 Beisel

2-10-PIT30 (14:51) C.Wilson right end to PIT 30 for no gain (C.Brown; W.McGinest). On the reverse from #39 Parker

3-10-PIT30 (14:51) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on PIT-K.Simmons, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 30 - No Play.

The first play ran 9 seconds and was incomplete, clock stops at 14:51. Second play is a reverse stopped for no gain meaning the clock continues. Third play results in a false start penalty. The clock is still at 14:51 so basically the false start resulted in no play and someone put the clock back to 14:51 which was the original play clock from the play BEFORE.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

I realize that the ref keeps the official time, but in this case that would mean he would've blown the whistle to end the game a full minute before the scoreboard clock.

1022822[/snapback]

Refs did all they could to make this game come down to the end(with that bogus pass interference call). I lose respect for the refs worse and worse every year.

Refs did all they could to make this game come down to the end(with that bogus pass interference call). I lose respect for the refs worse and worse every year.

1022839[/snapback]

:D j

Sooo, the left hand push to the chest with the d-back's head facing the receiver was a bit of animatronics for TV purposes? It was a good call on a very predictable play ... Conspiracy theory? Bah. :D

1022839[/snapback]

Speaking of screwed up clocks, did anyone else notice the live scoring updates on FOX that they were showing in the upper right hand corner of the early games yesterday? Most of the scores showed more than 15 minutes left in the quarter - one score kept showing 45:46 1st Q. I kept thinking someone would notice and fix it but it went on for a long time - at least the first half of the early game.

1022839[/snapback]

:D My 3 year old could tell that was pass interference.

After seeing Chad Scott play for the Steelers for years, I feel I can say with some accuracy what was likely said on the sideline before that 4th down pass play. The Steelers were in desperation and needed a play. I'm guessing Cowher told Ben. Check to see who Chad Scott is locked up on and throw a fade. We will either get the completion or a pass interference call. Chad never looked back at the ball and used his hand to push Morgan away. It was clearly pass interference in my eyes.

After seeing Chad Scott play for the Steelers for years, I feel I can say with some accuracy what was likely said on the sideline before that 4th down pass play.  The Steelers were in desperation and needed a play.  I'm guessing Cowher told Ben.  Check to see who Chad Scott is locked up on and throw a fade.  We will either get the completion or a pass interference call.  Chad never looked back at the ball and used his hand to push Morgan away.  It was clearly pass interference in my eyes.

1023072[/snapback]

This.....I absolutely believe to be true.

hey doc - kudos to you for listening to logic and agreeing!  most around here would just continue to fight the point, even if they were wrong.

:D

tony

1023193[/snapback]

Actually, I was not agreeing. I just figured the guy had to be a homer to even try and sell that to me. instead of arguing I just laughed it off.

From NFL.com

Time added to Patriots-Steelers game

The following is a statement by Mike Pereira, the NFL's director of officiating.

(Sept. 26, 2005) -- "In yesterday's Pittsburgh-New England game, the game clock was improperly reset early in the fourth quarter, resulting in 52 seconds being added to the game's official time.

"With 14:51 remaining in the fourth quarter, a Pittsburgh run from the Steelers' 30-yard line resulted in the ball carrier being tackled for no gain. The game clock properly continued to run. However, before the ball was snapped for the next play, a false start penalty against the Steelers stopped the clock with 13:59 remaining. Following the enforcement of the penalty and before the ball was snapped for the next play, the game clock was improperly reset to 14:51 again, instead of remaining at 13:59.

"The on-field officiating crew, which oversees the official game clock operated in the press box, failed to recognize that the clock was improperly reset."

Actually, I was not agreeing. I just figured the guy had to be a homer to even try and sell that to me. instead of arguing I just laughed it off.

1023203[/snapback]

just as i starting to think there was hope in the world. man, that was so clearly interference it isn't even funny. study the rule book.

tony

just as i starting to think there was hope in the world.  man, that was so clearly interference it isn't even funny.  study the rule book.

tony

1023273[/snapback]

It was pass interference. For some reason it has to be extremely obvious PI for it to consider a penalty in some peoples eyes towards the end of a close game. Very strange. Scott WAS looking at Morgan when he put his arm into him. That is pass interference.

After seeing Chad Scott play for the Steelers for years, I feel I can say with some accuracy what was likely said on the sideline before that 4th down pass play.  The Steelers were in desperation and needed a play.  I'm guessing Cowher told Ben.  Check to see who Chad Scott is locked up on and throw a fade.  We will either get the completion or a pass interference call.  Chad never looked back at the ball and used his hand to push Morgan away.  It was clearly pass interference in my eyes.

1023072[/snapback]

Read it again. I am sure this is true. In fact, it is so obvious that my 17 year old said as much right before the play.

Hey, who hijacked my thread? This is about the fact that an extra 52 seconds were added to the game and no one noticed until today. Now before you Steelers fans (or just Pats haters) go nuts claiming foul, remember that this was in PIT so it was your operators that added the extra time.

The stadium scoreboard clock is not official.

1022786[/snapback]

Per NFL rules, it is official.

It is the official's job to ensure that it is correct. Time is kept on the field only if the scoreboard clock is malfunctioning.

This is so typical of Cower and the Steelers.

Cry like a little baby about everything when you lose  :D

1023345[/snapback]

After giving you the benefit of the doubt through several of your annoying and childish posts, I have come to the conclusion that you are a Steeler-hating moran. Who is crying ? There was something done by the officials incorrectly and it has been pointed out. Show me one quote from ANYONE in the Steelers organization saying that this cost them the game. You can't can you jacka$$ ? Didn't think so. Now, get back to your homework.

From an obvious Steeler homer fan's perception, this did not cost the Steelers the game by any means. If those seconds are taken away, the Patriots might just handle the clock differently at the end, who knows, but the Patriots deserved the win yesterday. No crying here.