[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bungles to Bengals?

DawgTalk

Im here sitting down and listening to ESPN talk about how great the Bengals have been this season. Lets not jump and say they don't deserve any credit, they are 3-0, but ESPN is makin them look like the golden child of 2005. They go ahead and say "Pittsburgh, look out, this team is for real."

The Bengals have played the Browns, Green Bay, and Chicago...I don't hold much credibility with playing those teams, and say that "this team is for real." Yes they are 3-0, but lets face it, this won't last. For those Bengal fans, live it up while it lasts, but it won't be for much longer once you stop playing high school teams.

Marvin Lewis is doing everything right. Coach of the Year right there. Yes, it will last. Palmer's coming into his own. Johnson is wicked talented. Rudi is grinding out the yards and Perry is chomping at the bit. And then out of nowhere, the Bengals Defense shows up and starts making big-time plays. This team is for real.

Dawgtalk, people might listen more to what you have to say if you get the teams the Bengals played right.

Anyway, level of competition means nothing when you blow your opponents out. If they were squeeking out wins by a field goal, you might have a point, but they won every game so far by 2+ TDs. You don't do that with an average team 3 weeks in a row. These guys are playoff bound without a doubt IMO.

Keep in mind that since 1999 there have been 'out of nowhere' Super Bowl teams, and the Bengals certainly look like they could be 2005's version, but it's still early. (Rams-Ravens-Patriots-Tampa-Carolina are the 1999-2003 qualifiers, I'd say it didn't happen last year).

I just hope it's te ROY-led Kyle Orton leading Da Bears to a rematch of Super Bowl XX.

No, the level of competition has not been playoff caliber so far, but let's keep in mind that this Bengal team went 7 - 4 down the stretch last year. Palmer did not play the last 3 games and they still performed well. Look at the production from both the backs and receivers. Perry was out practically all last year. This year he is healthy and adds a speed dimension to the backfield. The receiving corps is deep which takes pressure off of CJ. The D is playing their best football right now and that will change as the season wears on, but the offense will put pressure on opponents to play catch up. Yes, the Bengals are for real. A 3-0 start with two wins on the road gives them an excellent oppotunity to finish 11-5 if they win the remaining home games and just 2 on the road.

Keep in mind that since 1999 there have been 'out of nowhere' Super Bowl teams

1031700[/snapback]

i would hardly call the bengals out of nowhere. they have been steadily improving over the past 2 seasons, putting up a .500 record in both seasons after a decade of disaster. with the offensive core now together for a second season and some key holes filled on the defense, this team is a strong contender and anyone following the team knew that coming into this season.

i'm a bit skeptical of anyone with 'dawg' in their name coming on-line to rain on the bengals parade ...

tony

The Bengals have played the Browns, Green Bay, and Chicago...I don't hold much credibility with playing those teams, and say that "this team is for real." 

1031478[/snapback]

They played Minnesota, not GB. Actually, they didn't play Minnesota, they killed Minesota. i don't think Minnesota is as bad as there 1-2 record shows. They played 2 3-0 teams in TB and Cin. Cleveland is no sure win either this year, just ask the Colts. I don't think the Bengals are as good as some people are making them out to be, but i do think they are a good team and they probably will be the 5th or 6th seed in the playoffs.

i would hardly call the bengals out of nowhere.  they have been steadily improving over the past 2 seasons, putting up a .500 record in both seasons after a decade of disaster.  with the offensive core now together for a second season and some key holes filled on the defense, this team is a strong contender and anyone following the team knew that coming into this season.

i'm a bit skeptical of anyone with 'dawg' in their name coming on-line to rain on the bengals parade ...

tony

1031728[/snapback]

But they didn't make the playoffs last year, right? If they were to make the SB (BIG IF) that'd make them an out of nowhere SB team, which is what I'm talking about. Carolina was decent the year before they made it, as were the Ravens but no one thought they'd make it that far. Or the 2000 Giants for that matter IIRC.

Im not a Bengal fan, but looking objectively at the team, they have done nothing but make improvements

Palmer has been a good QB for a while now, with his experience they are starting to click

C. Johnson and TJ are two great WR's

R. Johnson is a stud RB with a high upside

The offensive line gives Palmer the time he needs to make plays

The Defense is holding teams down enough to win games

Maybe becuase of all the dry years its hard to accept their new look.

I believe that they have the talent on both sides of the ball to win 10 games or more which will have them upsetting a few teams.

I also believe they'll be in the divisional championship game if they keep playing the way they are.

Will they be in the Superbowl? It's not impossible.

But they didn't make the playoffs last year, right? If they were to make the SB (BIG IF) that'd make them an out of nowhere SB team, which is what I'm talking about.

1031767[/snapback]

understood :D

here's hoping they turn out to be an 'out of nowhere' team ...

tony

I actually bet on the Bears to cover this week because I didn't think the Bengals were legit. I was wrong. Not saying the Bengals are going to the Superbowl, or even the playoffs necessarily, but I am fairly impressed so far.

If nothing else, I think they are one of the top-five teams as far as being able to count on them to score points on a regular basis. I mean, you can't even count on the Colts to do that this year.

Bottom line, they will probably be a wild-card team at best this year. They have a shot at winning a playoff game, but I would be surprised. However, from strictly a fantasy perspective, I think Palmer, Johnson, and Johnson are pretty much every-week starters. T.J. is a legitimate #2 or #2 on any fantasy team, and their kicker is going to finish in the top-ten easily for fantasy kickers.

The only thing that might hold them back, and the only thing that I am not sold on, is their defense.......I mean, come on, they have played Cleveland, Minnesota who was THE MOST STRUGGLING offense in the league at that point, and Chicago. So, I'm not impressed with their high INT total up to this point, because the QB's they have faced have been pathetic.

Please, keep in mind that I am hammered right now, so anything I say may be considered ridiculous and I would not be offended. I'll probably look at this post tomorrow and wish I had passed out before submitting it. I'm rambling, so I'll stop now.......................................................... :D

Of course it is early but the Bengals have proved they are a quality team. I agree with the notion any win is essentially huge. Their defense is playing great turnover football and Marvin Lewis is only gonna make it better. Chad Johnson is playing like he is the best receiver in football. Why would someone look at their horrible past BEFORE Lewis? They will be studly, don't you worry.

I am amazed at the comments from all sides in the "Are the Bengals for real?" debate. (And believe it, I am thrilled that there even is a debate!)

I don't understand the vehement opinion on whether Cincy has a TOP defense based on the games so far. WHO CARES? You've all got to realize that Cincy does not need to be a top defense, they need only to improve from being in the bottom group.

Cincy has a high-power offense that will succeed many weeks, including some against very good defenses (as last year and this year have shown). Agree?

If their defese goes back to sucking like it has in the past, they will still win a few games on offense alone. That and the fact that they've already won two road games should still be an average season. Agree?

If their defense improves to just mediocre overall, this will give them an advantage in games against lesser teams, and will allow them to compete in games against the "better" teams (not win every one, but compete in most). Agree?

If their defense improves to at or near the top echelon, I think that gives them an awesome chance to make the playoffs, and then.......who knows? who cares? we're not there yet. Agree?

So you see, ANY improvement by the D gives the Bengals a legit shot to do what we've waited for for so long, COMPETE for the playoffs. So who cares what they have PROVED so far? I'm just enjoying the ride, and looking forward to only the Houston game this week!

Bengal Mania is spreading out all over the land! Welcome!