[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"tipping"

Jackass

Yes I have kicked a commish some money in one of my home leagues. The league was a pain in the ass to run and while he did not expect a "tip" I really felt that he deserved one. It was a pretty big league money wise. (maybe not to some of you but to me when you win 1k for first it is big) I won the 1K plus I won the high points prize which was entry fee. I kicked him the high point money and also spent about $200.00 on a bar tab the night the money was paid out. I never felt out of place.

I have also had several different owner offer me tips for all the different leagues that I run. I have never taken one but I did not stop a few different owners from paying my entry fee's into a few different leagues. None of them were big money but they were money and I didn't think that there was anything wrong with the gesture.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and as for an office pool.  I always tip when I win.  I won $200.00 last week.  (first time in about two years) I gave the girl that runs it a $20.

1246938[/snapback]

I'm not against tipping in these situations. I just don't play when they take the cash up front.

I won a league i'm in  (1st time in this particular league) and some people claim i should tip the commissioner who ran the league.  i won 500 bucks so they're saying i should give him 10%.  Has anyone heard of this?  Along similar lines, would you tip someone who ran, say a playoff pool or NCAA basketball pool?

1246803[/snapback]

Screw it, too many posts to read and it's late. For what it's worth, I'm in 3 leagues. One of them is a league hosted by a local bar, and as a league we meet there once a week to do our transactions and set our lineups. It's tradition for the winner to buy the league a drink at the end of the season banquet, and with the winnings they get it's a mere drop in the bucket.

With my other 2 leagues, one of which I'm a commissioner, I do not expect a tip, nor do we give one in the other league (where we rotate commissioner year to year).

So no, I've never received a tip for being commissioner, and you shouldn't expect one either.

No way, in our local the superbowl champ is expected to buy a couple cases of beer and some food platters for a real superbowl party though.  And it's kind of up to him to either host the superbowl party or make it happen in some way.

1246825[/snapback]

That's what I'm talking about. :D

I have been in leagues where I have won and told the commish to keep $15-$20 for a case of beer for his super bowl party...typically what I will do is if I am owed $315, I will tell him to send me a check for $300...you get the point...

I am in a league where I stand to win between $500 and $800 (depending if i can take first or second and we go through the super bowl), and I plan to buy the first round of drinks at next year's draft. I was let into the league this year, against the wishes of a couple who did not want another team added late....

I do that type of thing just because its a cool thing to do...i dont think its a necessity, but it is also something that is appreciated and helps to keep better relations with your fellow players...

Commissioners take on the role because they're control freaks, not because they need the money.

1246829[/snapback]

:D

I get a free team for commisioning my main local so I dont expect any tips..

1246838[/snapback]

:D

Wow.  No disrespect, but I would never join a league where the commish got a free team (as a matter of fact, I don't gamble on anything where the person running it gets something for free - superbowl squares, ncaa brackets, etc.).  I went to a local poker party last year and the host took $5 out of everyone's buy-in.  Haven't returned.

I wish I got paid back when I had to do the scoring manually every week and email or snail mail the weekly spreadsheets, etc.  With the league sites nowadays, actual work running the league is minimal.  Sure you have to deal with occasional disputes or whatever, but I'd never expect compensation.

1246921[/snapback]

My $80 fee is waived since 1994. I agree the work is much easier. The responisbility however is the same if not more. This year it is me so no big deal but I have to drive to get the trophy engraved for the winner. Go to the mall and purchase the champion a gift.

Then the time spent organizing 11 schedules for draft day and having extra supplies, and sometimes cell minutes. We all know what it takes to run a smooth draft day in person. All time others are spending researching players the commish is spending on the league.

The $25 league I commish I do pay fee. There isn't all the extras involved. I guess I disagree with your statement.

He is in the league.  He's run other pools like NCAA pools and things like that and people have given him tips and i guess some league members see fantasy football as an extension of those type of pools.  Just curious, does anyone tip for other type of pools?

1246845[/snapback]

I don't tip for fantasy football but I always tip 10% for other pools.

Wow.  No disrespect, but I would never join a league where the commish got a free team (as a matter of fact, I don't gamble on anything where the person running it gets something for free - superbowl squares, ncaa brackets, etc.).  I went to a local poker party last year and the host took $5 out of everyone's buy-in.  Haven't returned.

I wish I got paid back when I had to do the scoring manually every week and email or snail mail the weekly spreadsheets, etc.  With the league sites nowadays, actual work running the league is minimal.  Sure you have to deal with occasional disputes or whatever, but I'd never expect compensation.

1246921[/snapback]

I would never subject myself to the torture that comes with being commish of my main local for nothing. These guys are all great friends but the biggest group of complaining and scheming (sp) con artists you have ever met. Not to mention 1/2 of them are computer illiterate. I have to first organize a draft between 14 guys and find a draft location. Manually log in the entire league roster. Every friday night I have to manually process waivers and manually add these players to each roster since these guys refuse to put their moves through the website and do it via email. That takes about 1 hour every friday night. My situation may be unique since I have a lot of old school guys that wont enter the do everything on the website era. Ive accepted that.

Ive actually had friendships tested from being commish of this league..We are a sick disfunctional family. We all have each others backs but these guys truly live to bust my balls . I took over 5 years ago when our last commish gambled our entry fees away and it took our superbowl winner 4 months to get paid. A lot of teams were going to leave after that. Its a 12 year old league. I managed to get us on track with a lot of new policies to get rid of our old problems..With that I have to be a real prick sometimes and it causes me hugh headaches. I have been trying to pass the torch from exhaustion for 2 years and no one will take it. Free team and all. I would not expect a tip but our league since the beginning has always given the commish a free team..No one has a problem with it.

I run a an NCAA Pool every year and it is A LOT of work. Usually have about 200-250 entrants - at least half of which are paper entries. Takes a huge amount of time to go through every bracket sheet - jive those with the online entries and create a spreadsheet that incorporates both paper and online entries that I mail out after each weekend's worth of games.

So - a couple years ago I included in my invite that I am taking a 5% cut, but will put that into bracket sheets of my own so it goes back into the pot and of course everyone is able to see my sheets so there;s no funny business. Just got to be too much work to not be worth a little something and no one has complained and the pool continues to grow.

For that matter PM me if you want me to add you to my email distribution list - it's one of those $5 sheets where you pick each game - pts double each rd starting at 1pt for 1st rd games.

If I were the Commish of a league I wouldn't expect a tip at the end of the year, but if I were in Whompers shoes I would sure expect to play for free for all of that work. My best friend is a computer dumbass as well and I have to do all of his transactions for him in the 2 leagues we are in together, so if he wins he gives me some $$$ for carrying his dumbass all season long.

As far as poker parties go Puddy, we have a group that plays on a bi-weekly basis and whomever hosts the party plays for free since they supply all of the beer/food etc..... We usually play 2-3 $50 buy in tournys w/10-12 guys.

I would never subject myself to the torture that comes with being commish of my main local for nothing. These guys are all great friends but the biggest group of complaining and scheming (sp) con artists you have ever met. Not to mention 1/2 of them are computer illiterate. I have to first organize a draft between 14 guys and find a draft location. Manually log in the entire league roster. Every friday night I have to manually process waivers and manually add these players to each roster since these guys refuse to put their moves through the website and do it via email. That takes about 1 hour every friday night. My situation may be unique since I have a lot of old school guys that wont enter the do everything on the website era. Ive accepted that.

Ive actually had friendships tested from being commish of this league..We are a sick disfunctional family. We all have each others backs but these guys truly live to bust my balls . I took over 5 years ago when our last commish gambled our entry fees away and it took our superbowl winner 4 months to get paid. A lot of teams were going to leave after that. Its a 12 year old league. I managed to get us on track with a lot of new policies to get rid of our old problems..With that I have to be a real prick sometimes and it causes me hugh headaches. I have been trying to pass the torch from exhaustion for 2 years and no one will take it. Free team and all. I would not expect a tip but our league since the beginning has always given the commish a free team..No one has a problem with it.

1247078[/snapback]

Man, you must love your friends and your FF. I'm not sure I would put up with this crap. Wait, I know I wouldn't. :D

Commissioners take on the role because they're control freaks, not because they need the money.

1246829[/snapback]

:D As a commish, I represent this remark. Except the not needing money part. Never got tipped tho, never expected it. Usually an owner or two will post a thank you on the league site, and that's good enough for me!

BJ nails it.  Utterly ridiculous idea.  We'll be tipping the doctor next.  :D

1247134[/snapback]

/Chargerz :D / Chargerz

As far as poker parties go Puddy, we have a group that plays on a bi-weekly basis and whomever hosts the party plays for free since they supply all of the beer/food etc..... We usually play 2-3 $50 buy in tournys w/10-12 guys.

1247089[/snapback]

That makes sense to me T_Bone. He is providing something for his entry fee. The guy I went to provided nothing other than a basement to play in.

Whomper -

I probably wouldn't run or be a part of that league.  As close as I am to my friends (both of them), I wouldn't deal with that stuff in a FF league.  And if I did choose to run it, I'd still do it for free. :D

1247136[/snapback]

To know us is to love us..