[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"tipping"

Jackass

I won a league i'm in (1st time in this particular league) and some people claim i should tip the commissioner who ran the league. i won 500 bucks so they're saying i should give him 10%. Has anyone heard of this? Along similar lines, would you tip someone who ran, say a playoff pool or NCAA basketball pool?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I won a league i'm in  (1st time in this particular league) and some people claim i should tip the commissioner who ran the league.  i won 500 bucks so they're saying i should give him 10%.  Has anyone heard of this?  Along similar lines, would you tip someone who ran, say a playoff pool or NCAA basketball pool?

1246803[/snapback]

Not me but I wish the guys in my league did

I won a league i'm in  (1st time in this particular league) and some people claim i should tip the commissioner who ran the league.  i won 500 bucks so they're saying i should give him 10%.  Has anyone heard of this?  Along similar lines, would you tip someone who ran, say a playoff pool or NCAA basketball pool?

1246803[/snapback]

I've never heard of this. As a commissioner, I would never expect a winner to do this.

1246803[/snapback]

That sounds like the fantasy sports/gambling version of the Three Man Lift.

Around this time we played a practical joke on Kevin Youkilis. It's called the Three Man Lift. Three people lie on the floor, and they lock arms. You brag to everyone that you're so strong, you can lift all three of them off the ground at once. The victim is the guy in the middle, in this case Youkilis.

Lucas, one of our clubhouse boys, held him down on one side and Gabe Kapler...held him down on the other. To sell the thing to Youkilis, the guys were all taking bets on whether I'd be able to lift them all up or not. Jason Varitek kept on saying, "John, your knee is all banged up. I don't think you ought to do this. You're going to hurt yourself." Youkilis was sure this was on the level.

Then all at once, the rest of the guys started pouring on him anything they could get their hands on, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, Coca-Cola, All Sprt, and anything else available. This was about a half an hour before the game and Kevin was wearing his Red Sox home whites; he was a mess.

Edited by Chavez

1246803[/snapback]

Never heard of such a thing.

Just another example of more and more people expecting tips. :D

1246809[/snapback]

Aww...c'mon BJ. If the commish doesn't play in the league he should absolutely be tipped! If he's a league member, then under no circumstances should he be tipped, because that could be considered a collusive action.

16 years of playing FF and this is the first time I have ever heard of this. Just when you think you have heard everything.

If he is not IN the league, then maybe. But a league member? No. off him free pizza at the draft or something maybe, but I would not just throw cash at a commish.

He is in the league. He's run other pools like NCAA pools and things like that and people have given him tips and i guess some league members see fantasy football as an extension of those type of pools. Just curious, does anyone tip for other type of pools?

He is in the league.  He's run other pools like NCAA pools and things like that and people have given him tips and i guess some league members see fantasy football as an extension of those type of pools.  Just curious, does anyone tip for other type of pools?

1246845[/snapback]

Sounds like a donkey to me.

I get a free team for commisioning my main local so I dont expect any tips..

1246838[/snapback]

However, if you did it for nothing and paid for your team then I think the Commish should get some sort of tip. If your commish does it for free and puts up with all the phone calls, questions and emails I think it's only right to give that person a small % of the loot.

The few times I've won my leagues and won $500 or so and if I appreciated the effort and work the commish of that league did throughout the year, yea, I've asked him to keep 40-50 bucks for himself for his efforts.

A good commish keeps a league running smoothly throughout the year, and sometimes all they hear are the complaints from the rest of the league. If I had a good year, don't mind at all showing my appreciation by leaving a little behind for him and his wife/girlfriend/whatever to enjoy a meal out on me.

I get a free team for commisioning my main local so I dont expect any tips..

1246838[/snapback]

Wow. No disrespect, but I would never join a league where the commish got a free team (as a matter of fact, I don't gamble on anything where the person running it gets something for free - superbowl squares, ncaa brackets, etc.). I went to a local poker party last year and the host took $5 out of everyone's buy-in. Haven't returned.

I wish I got paid back when I had to do the scoring manually every week and email or snail mail the weekly spreadsheets, etc. With the league sites nowadays, actual work running the league is minimal. Sure you have to deal with occasional disputes or whatever, but I'd never expect compensation.