[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Misery Index

Shakenbake

Six Facets of Misery

Historic despair: Has your team's history been so bleak it sells officially-licensed paper sacks to wear on your head?

Recent despair: Do you start looking forward to getting the top pick in the draft … during August two-a-days? Do you spend the last weeks of the season rooting for your team to lose so it can clinch the draft rights to Reggie Bush?

Historic pain: How many season-ending defeats have left you shaking like you just spent an entire afternoon trapped in an elevator with Drew Rosenhaus?

Recent pain: Is the anguish from a big loss so recent that you haven't repaired the TV screen yet?

Intangible misery: While subjective, this category takes into account misery (as well as apathy) not necessarily reflected in the won-loss record or on "Madden 2006."

Misery outlook: Are you preparing for the next round of the playoffs or already getting ready to boo the team's first-round draft pick?

LINK

Well that's the final slap in the face. Now ESPN writers are bottom feeding to steal ideas from Huddle writers. I've written the Misery Index every week for 6 years. It's my schtick. It's all I have in the world. Sonsofbitches.

I smell a lawsuit...

Well that's the final slap in the face.  Now ESPN writers are bottom feeding to steal ideas from Huddle writers.  I've written the Misery Index every week for 6 years.  It's my schtick.  It's all I have in the world.  Sonsofbitches.

I smell a lawsuit...

1258152[/snapback]

Hey, at least if they steal ideas from the Huddle maybe ESPN will start writing better articles :D

I beg to differ with Dallas being rated the least miserable. When you've gone to the playoffs 60% of the time, and won the Superbowl on average once every 8 years, and appeared in the Superbowl on average once every 5 years it hurts when you don't make the playoffs. It's much easier to be a Eagles fan, because they have never won a Superbowl and don't know the joy of it

5. Minnesota Vikings

Forget about the four Super Bowl losses, Korey Stringer, the Herschel Walker trade, the missed field goal in the 1999 NFC championship game, missing the playoffs after starting the 2003 season 6-0, Mike Tice scalping the Super Bowl tickets, the Whizzinator, the Love Boat cruise, the move to the Metrodome, Jim Marshall's wrong-way run and all those Fran Tarkenton infomercials -- what STILL really ticks off Minnesota fans is the knowledge, the absolute knowledge, that the Vikings would have gone to the Super Bowl (and won it this time, dammit!) if that darn referee had only gotten it right and called offensive pass interference on Drew Pearson during Roger Staubach's Hail Mary pass in the 1975 playoffs. @#&%! @#&%! @#&%!!!

True, True! :D:D:D

I beg to differ with Dallas being rated the least miserable.  When you've gone to the playoffs 60% of the time, and won the Superbowl on average once every 8 years, and appeared in the Superbowl on average once every 5 years it hurts when you don't make the playoffs.  It's much easier to be a Eagles fan, because they have never won a Superbowl and don't know the joy of it

1258202[/snapback]

Dam-n thats poetic. :D

2. New Orleans Saints

Forgive us for going off on a rant here, but if the NFL has so much darn money, shouldn't commissioner Paul Tagliabue take some responsibility, show some true leadership and really show a united way for the NFL? Hey, it's nice to promote charitable causes with those tear-jerking commercials, but how about actually doing something that really makes a difference? After fleecing communities of literally billions to build unnecessary stadiums, the NFL should do its part to rebuild New Orleans by paying for every dime of a new stadium. Then either subsidize Tom Benson enough money to shut him up about moving the Saints, or buy him out and have the league run the team until it's ready for another owner. New Orleans has suffered enough -- it doesn't need the richest and most controlling league in the world adding to its problems.

*sniff*Brought a tear to my eye.