[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congrats to Denver fans

msaint

Jake played pretty much mistake-free (other than that one back-foot INT) and the front four rushed Brady into bad throws all night with incredible pressure, what a bunch of great signings those guys were, kudos to Shanny (although his call on fourth down to throw that fade was death penalty-worthy). And while Lelie/Smith weren't great stat-wise, they kept the field stretched enough and made big catches when they had to. Great franchise win for Denver.

The only thing I think was out of the Pats' control and screwed them at key moment -- aside from the shocking "un-Patriots-like" meltdowns in composure on and off the field -- was the Lelie pass inteference call on Samuel. That. Was. F'n. Horrible. Flag flew 5 seconds after the fact....ref on the take? :D Samuel was watching the ball the entire time and had beaten Lelie to the spot that LELIE needed to be in to make the catch, thus making Lelie push and shove at Samuel. That should have been a non-call, could have gone against Lelie, and definitely swung some serious momentum Denver's way. I can certainly stomach losing to a great team like Denver, Pitt, Indy, whomever, but it stings a bit when the zebras rear their ugly heads. Next time, though, Faulk/Hobbs need to HLD ONTO THE darn BALL, and that play doesn't even happen....and if Brady doesn't overthrow several potential TD passes...and throws the ball away on the bailey INT and we take the FG....if...if...if :D

All that said, enjoy the win, donkey fans, and good luck @ Indy/vs. Pitt :D We had a nice run, one that few fan bases get to enjoy, and all things have to end sometime, bad as t might feel, so I for one would just like to remember the good times and enjoy it for what it was: an almost unprecedented streak of success. Memmmmmmmmories. Looking forward to some great AFC matchups between Indy/Pitt/Den, on the way to beeyotch-slapping whoever comes out of the NFC! :D

Edit to add this response from all-world lineman Richard Seymour, which is how any player/coach with class should respond, and how Pats fans should see this, IMO, regardless of the shaky INT calls and meltdowns, which are just part of the game, unfortunately: 'You can't say we did it to ourselves. When you say we beat ourselves you're not giving the other team enough credit. We did make a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes, but in a way they forced them. As a competitive player and as a man you have to accept it. They did it to us. I'm disappointed. Very disappointed. But if you can't accept a loss, what kind of person are you?"

We didn't lose...Denver won, and they should get all the credit for doing so.

Edited by msaint

Denver earned it ..Pats help them earn it ...but in the end all the matters is the final score ...Broncos are a worthy team representing one half of the AFC championship game for sure ...Assume they will be making a trip to Indy next week which should be a very good game :D

Props to Todd Sauerbrun too, for turning the position of punter into linebacker.  :D

1266557[/snapback]

Nice hit, yes, but he should be thanking his award-winning steroid collection for that extra little burst of energy it gives him :D

darn...this one is going to hurt for a while. What can we say?? Very uncharacteristic play from the Pats. Denver got tremendous pressure on defense, especially in the first half, but it seemed like the Pats made some nice adjustments at halftime. Obviously a terrible pass interference call but no sense dwelling on it. That wasn't even the turning point. Brady's end zone pick really changed the momentum. Kudos to Watson for never giving up. That dude is fast...and it could have been called a touchback (tough to tell with no ground level cameras down there). Troy Brown dropping the punt? Who'd a thunk it? That was the final nail in the coffin. Just devastating to watch. Don't count the Pats out just yet, though. Belichick and Brady aren't going anywhere and if they can keep the core of that team together, upgrade in the defensive secondary (Harrison will be back), and come out next year with a renewed fire, they'll be right back in the playoffs next year contending for a 4th title in 6 years.

Congrats to Denver and its fans for a hard fought victory and good luck next week. Man it sucks to lose.

...and it could have been called a touchback (tough to tell with no ground level cameras down there). 

1266582[/snapback]

Anybody remember if there was a skycam at the game? If so, it would have provided a better angle, or might have.

Anybody remember if there was a skycam at the game?  If so, it would have provided a better angle, or might have.

1266589[/snapback]

there was skycam...i noticed the camera-on-a-string on most of the higher angle stadium shots. (not blimp shots, but shots from slightly higher up in the stands)

for the sake of having them in one spot...

*sigh*  That hurt.  It wasn't being beaten that hurt.  It was the way they were beaten.

The Broncos beat the Patriots by forcing turnovers and making them work to their advantage.  That goes to show that statistics don't always tell the tale.

I have to give credit to my boys for playing with a lot of heart and never giving up.  The 2 forced fumbles were bad mistakes by Patriots players (2 hands on the ball running through traffic, dammit!) coupled with great, heads-up play on the ball by the Broncos.  The Champ Bailey interception was an exceptional play on defense.  Ben Watson saving the TD was one of the best plays I have ever seen on the football field.  He has amazing speed.  I thought the ball went at least over the pylon and should have gone the other way, but the video evidence was not conclusive.

Troy Brown muffed a punt return in a playoff game.  I couldn't believe my eyes.

The only major complaint I have was the bogus pass interference call on Samuel in the end zone.  The receiver was manhandling the defender, grabbing his shoulder and pulling him for the last 15 yards of the play.  That was a terrible call.

It wouldn't have mattered, though.

Without the turnovers this would have been a true domination by the Patriots.  They played very well.  Their defense was incredibly good.  The offense moved the ball very well.

As thay say in coachspeak, though....That's why we play the games.  And there is more than one way to win one.

Congrats Bronco Fans.  We'll be back next year!  :D

1266508[/snapback]

Hey saint...I got good seats for the AFC Championship game in Foxboro if you want them.

:D

1266604[/snapback]

:shotguninmymouth,workingtriggerwithmytoe:

orry....i a ittle it usy ight ow....

As a Pats fan, I feel compelled to post. I think it's part of the healing process. :D

The Broncos have historically been a very difficult match-up for the Pats. I don't know why things work that way, but some teams just seem to consistently get the better of other teams. The Pats have been fortunate enough to have IND and PIT as their main foes during their SB runs. They seem to get the better of those matchups. But DEN usually has our number.

It was a very tortuous way for the streak to end. But end it must. It's been an incredible run and it's certainly not over, but that veneer of invincibility has been tarnished. I know it's illogical and just plain greedy to have expected it to last forever, but it's very difficult to see it end nonetheless.

Congrats to the Broncos. Good luck the rest of the way.

It's going to be strange not having the Pats in the AFC Championship or the SB. I might have to focus on work again!

The Pats were gracious in defeat. It's a good thing. This has been a largely horrible year, what with the injuries, loss of both coordinators, Belichick's father dying unexpectedly. All things considered I think the thumbtacks and baling wire held it together pretty well. Here's to a resurgence in 2006-7.

Denver needs to pull some more offense out of its bag of tricks for next week. They can't hope to force turnovers for 100% of their offense again next week. It worked for the Pats vs. the Jaguars too -- but as we know, the ball and the calls don't always bounce your way.

If it's Denver vs. Indi next week, count me on the Denver bandwagon. If by some chance it's Pitt, then I need to think on that one a little more.

Props to Todd Sauerbrun too, for turning the position of punter into linebacker.   :D

1266557[/snapback]

Hell yeah, I was watching that replay and man, that was a solid tackle that you don't even see Defensive backs make these days. And Ben Watson sprinting 130 yards in Don Bebee like fashion to chase down Bailey at the 1 was the best play of the game, that is a football player with heart.

I hate the Bronco's and Pats, and could give a crap about any kicker not named "Guy", but those plays made me giddy with pleasure like watchign a classic Earl Campbell jersey ripping run.

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

And Ben Watson sprinting 130 yards in Don Bebee like fashion to chase down Bailey at the 1 was the best play of the game, that is a football player with heart.

1266716[/snapback]

:D That was the play of the game, for the Pats anyway.

I just want to add my congrats to the board for the Broncos and their fans.

I pretty much agree with what msaint, Nick, Czarina and others have said. They played a great game and forced the Pats veterans to make mistakes. Faulk and Brown fumbling were uncharacteristic and that Bailey Int was a really bad throw by Brady. The Refs blew it on that Samuels int call but the Pats were still in it until the Bailey int. In the previous 10 playoff wins the Pats had 6 TO total! They had 5 on Sat. night.

But in the end we lost. It was an up and down year. I loved how the team handled the defeat, with class. With Harrison and Light back and our rookies improving I'm looking forward to another run, they've still got the fire.

I was going to jump on the Dungy (Colts) bandwagon but since Pitt won it leaves me with the 2 teams I hate the most in the hunt. So with out further adieu....Go NFC, Go Panthers :D (not sure how they'll do with out Foster).

And with that my smackbowl dreams crumble as well (Brady, Dillon, Givens, Watson, NE D, Vinatieri).

:D:D

Thanks msaint et al -- it was a hard-fought game and there's no doubt you got robbed on that PI call. Your defense was great and your offense moved the ball effectively at times. Those turnovers just caught up with you. Our defense and special teams really saved our offense's ass in that game -- but I do give the offense credit for turning those turnovers (and that gift of a PI call) into points.

There's no doubt in my mind you'll be back next year as formidable as ever.

Thanks msaint et al -- it was a hard-fought game and there's no doubt you got robbed on that PI call.  Your defense was great and your offense moved the ball effectively at times.  Those turnovers just caught up with you.  Our defense and special teams really saved our offense's ass in that game -- but I do give the offense credit for turning those turnovers (and that gift of a PI call) into points.

There's no doubt in my mind you'll be back next year as formidable as ever.

1269336[/snapback]

yeah..armed with two 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders for april...what appears to be a much softer schedule...and a bad taste left in their mouths, i felt pretty at peace yesterday, even though that was a horrible way to go

yeah..armed with two 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders for april...what appears to be a much softer schedule...and a bad taste left in their mouths, i felt pretty at peace yesterday, even though that was a horrible way to go

1269362[/snapback]

we need some LBs to replace an aging mcginest/bruschi (despite being immortal)/vrabel, and, more than anything, we need some big, physcial, nasty sean taylor-type players in the secondary. and if we can sign a free agent reggie wayne-type WR and get healthy again on the OL, we'll be fine. more holes to plug this offseason than in a while, imo.

also, dillon looked to be running on one leg for most of the season...wouldn't mind seeing ricky in a pats uni.... :D though no way saban trades him to a division foe.

yeah saint...i wouldnt mind seeing them grab a de/olb hybrid in the first, like maybe manny lawson from nc state.....with ashworth and neal possibly moving on, i wouldnt mind grabbing a tackle, like maybe jon scott from texas, who i think could have tremendous value at 21...and we could move kazcur to guard where i think hes better suited...

id really love to see ty law return...and with randall gay coming back weve got some young corners with alot of experience(i still think asante is fine, and he was unfairly picked on by the media this year...played a very good game in my mind saturday)....i think ty could maybe make a move to strong safety, depending on what rodney harrisons situation looks like

yeah i love ricky..love his running style...but that aint happenin...lol....i think it will be very interesting to see what the market for jamal lewis is like...i know the knee issues are always hanging over..and the ankle...but i have a hard time believing he has nothing in the tank...and a few months in prison ruined him...i think that ogden and mulitalo underachieved this year

we need some LBs to replace an aging mcginest/bruschi (despite being immortal)/vrabel, and, more than anything, we need some big, physcial, nasty Troy Polamalu-type players in the secondary. and if we can sign a free agent David Givins-type WR and get healthy again on the OL, we'll be fine. more holes to plug this offseason than in a while, imo.

1269488[/snapback]

fixed.

yeah saint...i wouldnt mind seeing them grab a de/olb hybrid in the first, like maybe manny lawson from nc state.....with ashworth and neal possibly moving on, i wouldnt mind grabbing a tackle, like maybe jon scott from texas, who i think could have tremendous value at 21...and we could move kazcur to guard where i think hes better suited...

id really love to see ty law return...and with randall gay coming back weve got some young corners with alot of experience(i still think asante is fine, and he was unfairly picked on by the media this year...played a very good game in my mind saturday)....i think ty could maybe make a move to strong safety, depending on what rodney harrisons situation looks like

yeah i love ricky..love his running style...but that aint happenin...lol....i think it will be very interesting to see what the market for jamal lewis is like...i know the knee issues are always hanging over..and the ankle...but i have a hard time believing he has nothing in the tank...and a few months in prison  ruined him...i think that ogden and mulitalo underachieved this year

1269587[/snapback]

I don't think Law has what it takes to be a strong safety. I do think he's play a great free safety, though.

The Pats can basically ignore the OL, DB, DL, and TE positions in this draft. I'd really like to see Lendale White available at 21, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Santonio Holmes either.

I don't think they will look to draft a LB. IMHO, the Pats want veteran LBs, and I expect to see them try and pick one up in FA (can you say LaVaR Arrington?) I'm concerned about the future of Branch or Givens, and I think one will be gone in the next couple of years. Bethel Johnson was a waste of a draft pick, but nobody gets it right every time. The Pats need a young WR and RB to groom most of all in the draft. Then I think they can draft from a best available player mentality.