[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ugh

CaptainHook

Just got home from the game. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. The Colts choked this one away for sure. Despite getting every call known to man (just off the top of my head there were two horrible PI non-calls and the overturned INT) the Colts just could not take a game the Steelers were desperately trying to give away. But let's be serious, if the Colts had WON that game, it would be a victory they really did not deserve.

I honestly don't think the Colts came out rusty. I think the Steelers were taking it to the Colts defensively. The offensive line played horrible. The worst I've seen in several years. The Colts defense played very, very well, IMO. They forced a first quarter turnover, they were stuffing the Steelers running game, but Roeth and the Steelers were making great plays in the passing game in the first half. In the second half the Steelers predictably tried to protect a lead too early, which they do on a regular basis. And in a game between two teams defined by their choking, the Steelers did just enough to hold on.

As for Manning. The numbers do not reflect how poorly he played. When he did have time, he did not make plays. He does not seem to understand that you cannot go for the long pass on every play in the play-offs. Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you. His long pass to Wayne on third and two with 25+ seconds left and 2 TO's left is just brainless. And the Colts continual disdain for using the running game in the play-offs is mind-boggling. The play calling and the game plan were terrible.

THIS was the Colts year. Best record. Home field advantage. No excuses. They choked it away. Saying it that way does not give the Steelers credit for a great performance and game plan, which they worked brilliantly for three and a half quarters. Congrats to the Steelers and their fans. I will be self-imposing a sig-line for myself shortly. And I'm taking a break from football for a while.

Edited by CaptainHook

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home from the game.  I feel like I've been kicked in the gut.  The Colts choked this one away for sure.  Despite getting every call known to man (just off the top of my head there were two horrible PI non-calls and the overturned INT) the Colts just could not take a game the Steelers were desperately trying to give away.  But let's be serious, if the Colts had WON that game, it would be a victory they really did not deserve.

I honestly don't think the Colts came out rusty.  I think the Steelers were taking it to the Colts defensively.  The offensive line played horrible.  The worst I've seen in several years.  The defense played very, very well, IMO.  They forced a first quarter turnover, they were stuffing the Steelers running game, but Roeth and the Steelers were making great plays in the passing game in the first half.  In the second half the Steelers predictably tried to protect a lead too early, which they do on a regular basis.  And in a game between two teams defined by their choking, the Steelers did just enough to hold on.

As for Manning.  The numbers do not reflect how poorly he played.  When he did have time, he did not make plays.  He does not seem to understand that you cannot go for the long pass on every play in the play-offs.  Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you.  His long pass to Wayne on third and two with 25+ seconds left and 2 TO's left is just brainless.  And the Colts continual disdain for using the running game in the play-offs is mind-boggling.  The play calling and the game plan were terrible.

THIS was the Colts year.  Best record.  Home field advantage.  No excuses.  They choked it away.  Saying it that way does not give the Steelers credit for a great performancem, which they worked brilliantly for three and a half quarters.  Congrats to the Steelers and there fans.  I will be self-imposing a sig-line for myself shortly.  And I'm taking a break from football for a while.

1267755[/snapback]

Taking it like a man. Good post.

:D

Just got home from the game.  I feel like I've been kicked in the gut.  The Colts choked this one away for sure.  Despite getting every call known to man (just off the top of my head there were two horrible PI non-calls and the overturned INT) the Colts just could not take a game the Steelers were desperately trying to give away.  But let's be serious, if the Colts had WON that game, it would be a victory they really did not deserve.

I honestly don't think the Colts came out rusty.  I think the Steelers were taking it to the Colts defensively.  The offensive line played horrible.  The worst I've seen in several years.  The defense played very, very well, IMO.  They forced a first quarter turnover, they were stuffing the Steelers running game, but Roeth and the Steelers were making great plays in the passing game in the first half.  In the second half the Steelers predictably tried to protect a lead too early, which they do on a regular basis.  And in a game between two teams defined by their choking, the Steelers did just enough to hold on.

As for Manning.  The numbers do not reflect how poorly he played.  When he did have time, he did not make plays.  He does not seem to understand that you cannot go for the long pass on every play in the play-offs.  Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you.  His long pass to Wayne on third and two with 25+ seconds left and 2 TO's left is just brainless.  And the Colts continual disdain for using the running game in the play-offs is mind-boggling.  The play calling and the game plan were terrible.

THIS was the Colts year.  Best record.  Home field advantage.  No excuses.  They choked it away.  Saying it that way does not give the Steelers credit for a great performance and game plan, which they worked brilliantly for three and a half quarters.  Congrats to the Steelers and there fans.  I will be self-imposing a sig-line for myself shortly.  And I'm taking a break from football for a while.

1267755[/snapback]

Very classy post Hook.... I expected nothing less. :D

Hang in there Hook... :D tough tough game after all the hype all year long. The playoffs are just a totally different animal than the regular season...this playoff season more than any has taught me that. You guys will bounce back...Dungy will get everyone on the same page again. You guys are a class act and Manning will be back on fire next season I have no doubt....I know this doesnt help the gut puking feeling you have right now. But taking a break for awhile and things will get turned back around. Great post and appreciate your humblness (if that is a word) much classier than NE's Bill Bellycheck's. I feel for ya Hook... if there was a hug icon I would give you one!!

Hang in there Hook...  :D tough tough game after all the hype all year long.  The playoffs are just a totally different animal than the regular season...this playoff season more than any has taught me that.  You guys will bounce back...Dungy will get everyone on the same page again.  You guys are a class act and Manning will be back on fire next season I have no doubt....I know this doesnt help the gut puking feeling you have right now.  But taking a break for awhile and things will get turned back around.  Great post and appreciate your humblness (if that is a word) much classier than NE's Bill Bellycheck's.  I feel for ya Hook... if there was a hug icon I would give you one!!

1267788[/snapback]

Good info here...but I'll refrain from hugging Hook myself. :D

Hang in there Hook...  :D tough tough game after all the hype all year long.  The playoffs are just a totally different animal than the regular season...this playoff season more than any has taught me that.  You guys will bounce back...Dungy will get everyone on the same page again.  You guys are a class act and Manning will be back on fire next season I have no doubt....I know this doesnt help the gut puking feeling you have right now.  But taking a break for awhile and things will get turned back around.  Great post and appreciate your humblness (if that is a word) much classier than NE's Bill Bellycheck's.  I feel for ya Hook... if there was a hug icon I would give you one!!

1267788[/snapback]

The problem is that this team has serious decisions to be made. Edge and Wayne may not be Colts next year. And then there is Vanderjagt. He's a free agent as well. He will not be back. I don't even want to talk about him right now. I think it's a kick he should have made. But Manning's third down throw was the real problem. The window for this team as a top seed has closed. It's time to re-tool.

Indy is done. They blew it and they ain't coming back. Choke team of all history. A great offensive unit wasted. Unreal.

The problem is that this team has serious decisions to be made.  Edge and Wayne may not be Colts next year.  And then there is Vanderjagt.  He's a free agent as well.  He will not be back.  I don't even want to talk about him right now.  I think it's a kick he should have made.  But Manning's third down throw was the real problem.  The window for this team as a top seed has closed.  It's time to re-tool.

1267798[/snapback]

The Colts are finished, IMO. If they can't win the big games with the "best offense ever," then they need a facelift. Enough with the no-huddle offense all the time. They need to run the ball and eat minutes off the clock. They (allegedly) have every offensive superstar, but when they face a good defense... They lose.

The problem is that this team has serious decisions to be made.  Edge and Wayne may not be Colts next year.  And then there is Vanderjagt.  He's a free agent as well.  He will not be back.  I don't even want to talk about him right now.  I think it's a kick he should have made.  But Manning's third down throw was the real problem.  The window for this team as a top seed has closed.  It's time to re-tool.

1267798[/snapback]

This could all be true...but remember change can be a good thing. I would be very surprised if Wayne isnt signed with some big money and Edge too. But either way...this is a class organization and it will work out. :D

This could all be true...but remember change can be a good thing.  I would be very surprised if Wayne isnt signed with some big money and Edge too.  But either way...this is a class organization and it will work out.  :D

1267814[/snapback]

If they had made or won the Super Bowl? Yes. But as is, this team cannot win the SB. Changes must be made. They simply cannot afford Wayne, Edge, and re-doing Freeney's contract, which has one more year. Maybe you do if the team wins the SB. Bring 'em back for one more go-'round before the cap catches up to you. But not now.

They simply cannot afford Wayne, Edge, and re-doing Freeney's contract, which has one more year.  Maybe you do if the team wins the SB.  Bring 'em back for one more go-'round before the cap catches up to you.  But not now.

1267820[/snapback]

For what it's worth, it is my understanding that there is a very high liklihood that the cap will be raised rather significantly after next season.

For what it's worth, it is my understanding that there is a very high liklihood that the cap will be raised rather significantly after next season.

1267823[/snapback]

You haven't been keeping up with the latest then. If the CBA gets done, there could be a significant jump in the salary cap. But things are not going well. They are not going well at all.

1267823[/snapback]

Why would that change anything. They can't win the big one with them... Why would it change next year?

it was a little greedy...but they got wayne 1 on 1 with mcfadden...if he hits him...its game over and i can hear the noise from the rca dome here in rhode island...i thought it was gutsy...good coverage(ala asante samuel....i dunno if you saw it hook, but dungy was calling for a flag, he must have been watching last night)

i thought they missed a tarik glenn false start on the pass clark caught in the final drive

i also thought i was watching an nba game last night on cbs

I feel for ya', Captain. :D

There is no worse feeling in football than to watch your home team lose a close one like Indy did today.

Nice recap. You're a class act. I expected nothing less from you. :D

1267798[/snapback]

Well said. If the Colts won the SB, I could see them trying to keep Wayne and James. With them losing, unfortunately maybe Wayne, but deep down I am expecting we'll see a new RB in the back field next year and someone on the opposite side of Harrison.

it was a little greedy...but they got wayne 1 on 1 with mcfadden...if he hits him...its game over and i can hear the noise from the rca dome here in rhode island...i thought it was gutsy...good coverage(ala asante samuel....i dunno if you saw it hook, but dungy was calling for a flag, he must have been watching last night)

i thought they missed a tarik glenn false start on the pass clark caught in the final drive

i also thought i was watching an nba game last night on cbs

1267833[/snapback]

They had single coverage all day and couldn't hit it consistently. That third down pass wasn't even close. I have NO problem with Manning taking a shot in the end zone on second down. None. Wayne almost came up with the game winner. But to go back to it again, and the pass was not close, was a bad read or play call. With two time outs you could even run the ball there. But I forgot the Colts don't use Edge in the play-offs. Horrible. Horrible.

Edited by CaptainHook

You haven't been keeping up with the latest then.  If the CBA gets done, there could be a significant jump in the salary cap.  But things are not going well.  They are not going well at all.

1267827[/snapback]

That's simply because there is a year left on the current CBA. It is in neither side's interests at this point to make it seem like things are going well on the next CBA. Both sides are obligated at this point to make it sound like the other side is being unrealistic and is screwing up the process. It's part of the dance of negotiating. The NFL is too healthy and the money is too big for it not to get done. Unlike hockey and baseball, the NFL revenue stream is growing - and growing at a nice rate. And the players will get a pay raise in the form of a higher cap.

Just because your team just got it's ass handed to it and your disappointed doesn't mean I "haven't been keeping up with the latest".