[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jay Cutler to the Lions at 1.9?

spain

Mel Kiper Jr has the Dirtroit Lions taking Jay Cutler at 1.9. Most Lions fans probably have little idea who this kid is, and probably dont even know what state Vanderbilt is in. Imo, this kid is the best QB in this draft. That includes Leinart and Young. There I said it, and that is saying alot since I am VERY high on Young. Cutler was the offensive player of the year in the SEC. The first time a Vandy player has received that honor since I can remember. But think about this: He was the Offensive Player of the Year on a team with a losing record that didnt even sniff going to a bowl game. Chew on that thought for a few minutes and tell me how that could occur unless something was truly special about this kid.

I am not saying Detroit will take Cutler. Heck, for his sake, I hope they dont. And the Lions more often than not will leave great talent on the board if a mediocre wr is still there. But he is the kind of player who can take argueably the worst franchise in professional sports over the course of the last 25 years, and turn them around. No college team was as bad as Vanderbilt over that stretch and he changed the complete attitude and outlook of that team. Obviously, the Lions will be a much steeper hill to climb. But if they are ever going to regain even a modicum of respect and competitiveness, they will pray to God that Cutler is there at 1.9, and then pray that Millen has a stroke and someone else makes the picks for them on draft day.

His stats for the past year:

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

273 462 3073 59.1 6.65 47 21 9 23 126.07

This guy is solid but I think I would still take Leinart over him. I'm not a fan of Young so I would take this kid over Young. He knows how to be a NFL QB.

How about Mike Williams to SD for Phillip Rivers, and going in another direction with the 1.9 pick.  That's the type of thing I'd like to see the Lions do.

Of course, that would be smart, so I don't expect to see it.

1273178[/snapback]

Why trade Williams if you can have Cutler? Rivers has proved nothing and is as much a rookie as Cutler is, IMHO. Besides, SD may never trade Rivers now with the injury Brees suffered.

Cutler is very good. I saw him play against Arkansas this year and a couple more games on TV. I have also heard a lot of folks say that they believe he is better than Leinart. Given the lack of weapons Cutler has had to work with, he may be. At this point, I don't think trading for Rivers would necessarily be a better idea. Both are unproven, IMO.

Why trade Williams if you can have Cutler?  Rivers has proved nothing and is as much a rookie as Cutler is, IMHO.  Besides, SD may never trade Rivers now with the injury Brees suffered.

1273210[/snapback]

You already have Roy Williams, Pollard, K Jones, and Charles Rogers as a base of good skill players. You have a new HC coming in, and you have to hope he can get Rogers in line. If you trade away Williams for Rivers, you can use that pick on a nice o-lineman like Justice from SC instead of a QB from a minor program.

Rivers has at least had 2 seasons to absorb the NFL atmosphere and participate in practives and gameplanning. He understands what it's about, and still has the advantage of being young. You're right about SD, but I'd give it a shot.

You already have Roy Williams, Pollard, K Jones, and Charles Rogers as a base of good skill players.  You have a new HC coming in, and you have to hope he can get Rogers in line.  If you trade away Williams for Rivers, you can use that pick on a nice o-lineman like Justice from SC instead of a QB from a minor program.

1273235[/snapback]

Cutler played for an SEC school. While the talent on Vanderbilt is typically not up to the caliber of the othe SEC schools, Cutler faced SEC competition. He faced ALOT stiffer competition than Roethlisberger and the exact same teams as Rivers did at South Carolina. So, I wont argue too much with your logic, but at least have your basic facts straight.

Didnt Rivers go to NC State? Pretty sure he did.

1273281[/snapback]

Yes he did.

1273285[/snapback]

Well, then Cutler faced stiffer competition than Rivers. So, thats not really an excuse to not draft Cutler in favor of Rivers..

Well, then Cutler faced stiffer competition than Rivers.  So, thats not really an excuse to not draft Cutler in favor of Rivers..

1273301[/snapback]

Agreed! I live in ACC country and I'd say that on the whole the SEC offers stiffer competition :D

The ACC has caught up a little with the addition of Miami, VT, and BC, but that was after Rivers.

1273337[/snapback]

Yes, you are correct, those teams have made the ACC much tougher. As you said however Rivers didnt face them. On the whole I do think the SEC is still a little tougher than the ACC, of course that varies from year to year.

His stats for the past year:

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

273 462 3073 59.1 6.65 47 21 9 23 126.07

This guy is solid but I think I would still take Leinart over him. I'm not a fan of Young so I would take this kid over Young. He knows how to be a NFL QB.

1273205[/snapback]

Umm how does a college QB know how to be an NFL QB. Did Ryan Leaf know how to be an NFL QB in college, or the NFL for that matter. What about Cade Mcnown or Tim Couch. I think its a lil premature to say someone who has never played a down in the NFL knows how to be an NFL QB or not.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but he sure sounds like a better prospect than Aaron Rodgers  :D

1273040[/snapback]

think kicker for this years number one :D

What state is Vanderbilt in?

1273316[/snapback]

its a dixecrat state.... south of the new wall that will be built soon :D

I have to think that the Lions would be a little gun shy about taking another QB with a high 1st rounder.

But then again, most teams might be a little gun shy about drafting a WR with such a pick three years in a row. :D

Well, then Cutler faced stiffer competition than Rivers.  So, thats not really an excuse to not draft Cutler in favor of Rivers..

1273301[/snapback]

That's called missing the point though. I am suggesting that Detroit dump one of their top 10 WRs because they don'y need 3. Trade for a QB at the expense of one of these players, and keep the top 10 pick.

The comparisons of the QBs are irrelevant. The point is more that spending that 1.09 pick on a vanderbilt QB is riskier than getting rid of the worst pick the Lions have made in the last 3 drafts. And I only call him 'the worst' because he was the third WR taken by them top 10. Stupid drafting strategy, and making a deal like this will spread the talent around. Otherwise you are looking at a first round draft pattern of QB, WR, WR (+RB), WR, QB, and all of them top 10 picks. Bad.

Edited by Caveman_Nick