[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rod Marinelli Lions Head Coach

loaf

I believe this will be Millen's final nail in his coffin.

Sounds like the Ford's want to save a little money this time.

I believe this to be a disappointing day for Lions fans but then again we are used to it. I don't see this guy turning us around.

CJ

In any case, it's nice to see some new blood in the league rather than the same old retreads. Mangini, Marenelli and Payton land HC jobs while Fassell, Haslett, and Tice continue to pound the pavement.

Edit: Oh yeah, I remember Marinelli now - the Jets tried to get him as their DC a couple of years ago but Tampa wouldn't let him go. Remember reading good things about him at that time.

Edited by Vet

No one can say who will, and who won't. I'm interested in seeing what this guy can bring, especially if any of it's some disclipine. Seems alot of people like Grimm, although I can't see why as he has no co-ordinator experience. Ask me, any of them are a crap shoot. If we become more aggressive, and play smarter football as Gruden does, I like our chances with this guy.

At least it isn't Haslett.

I heard an interview with a Tampa reporter the other day and he claims the Marinelli is a no-nonsense guy who won't put up with prima donna's. He also claims that many believe he is as responsible for the success of the Bucs Def as Kiffin. Supposedly he is a quiet dude who shuns the limelight, so we'll see how he adjusts to the pressures of Monday morning pressers around here.

Never a coordinator and getting his first chance as the main guy at 56 :D

Any Tampa homers around to give us the skinny?

1274405[/snapback]

Here is your skinny........

The Bucs have been blocking teams from talking to him for a couple years now. He was in the last year of his contract this year so he was free to talk to whoever. It has been no secret that the Bucs did not want to lose Marinelli. Kiffin runs the show but Marinelli is by far his right hand man. It is true that he is a no nonsense guy and he will definitly improve the Lions Defense. My only concern is the lack luster offense of the Lions and whether or not Marinelli can do something with it. I'm sad to see him go and I think the Lions made the right decision.

Edit: And one more thing. Before you go and question why the Lions would hire a relative unknown from the Tampa scheme, consider that the last 2 coaches taken from that scheme were Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards....

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

The Bucs have been blocking teams from talking to him for a couple years now.  He was in the last year of his contract this year so he was free to talk to whoever.  It has been no secret that the Bucs did not want to lose Marinelli.  Kiffin runs the show but Marinelli is by far his right hand man.  It is true that he is a no nonsense guy and he will definitly improve the Lions Defense.  My only concern is the lack luster offense of the Lions and whether or not Marinelli can do something with it.  I'm sad to see him go and I think the Lions made the right decision.

Edit: And one more thing.  Before you go and question why the Lions would hire a relative unknown from the Tampa scheme, consider that the last 2 coaches taken from that scheme were Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards....

1274464[/snapback]

Thanks. I feel a little better now.

The Bucs have been blocking teams from talking to him for a couple years now.  He was in the last year of his contract this year so he was free to talk to whoever.  It has been no secret that the Bucs did not want to lose Marinelli.  Kiffin runs the show but Marinelli is by far his right hand man.  It is true that he is a no nonsense guy and he will definitly improve the Lions Defense.  My only concern is the lack luster offense of the Lions and whether or not Marinelli can do something with it.  I'm sad to see him go and I think the Lions made the right decision.

Edit: And one more thing.  Before you go and question why the Lions would hire a relative unknown from the Tampa scheme, consider that the last 2 coaches taken from that scheme were Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards....

1274464[/snapback]

And now we've got two more in the NFC North. I assume Marinelli will implement the Cover 2 defense in Detroit as the Vikings new DC Mike Tomlin will do in Minnesota. Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota all with the same basic defense.

When Childress commented on picking Tomlin for his DC, he said what better to have as your own defense to practice against with the Bears in your division. Smart move.

At least it wasn't Haslett:

Former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett said he was scheduled to travel from his home in Louisiana to Michigan on Wednesday night for a second interview. But on Wednesday evening, he told the AP he had not heard from the Lions about his travel arrangements or his prospects for the job.

Heard on the radio today from the local Lions insider that although many teams have been interested in Marinelli, the Lions are the only team to consider him for the head coaching job.

Sounds like a gamble to me.

The Bucs have been blocking teams from talking to him for a couple years now.  He was in the last year of his contract this year so he was free to talk to whoever. 

1274464[/snapback]

Under contract or not, can't any assistant can interview for a higher position?

What kind of organization would block him from going for an open coordinator or head coaching job?

Edited by charty

Under contract or not, can't any assistant can interview for a higher position?

What kind of organization would block him from going for an open coordinator or head coaching job?

1275048[/snapback]

This happens more often then you think. The Bucs just asked permission to talk with the Falcons defensive backs coach and were denied by Rich McKay. If you are under contract then you must first ask permission from their team.

This happens more often then you think.  The Bucs just asked permission to talk with the Falcons defensive backs coach and were denied by Rich McKay.  If you are under contract then you must first ask permission from their team.

1275861[/snapback]

Them be the rules :D