[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What if...

H8tank

Would you punch a 16yr old Helmeted snowborder who knocked your 7yr old daughter down while she was trying to ski?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you punch a 16yr old Helmeted snowborder who knocked your 7yr old daughter down while she was trying to ski?

• Yes, someone needs to protect the children.
    • No, knocking down small children is what snow borders are supposed to do.

I'm a snowboarder.  I snowboard with 6-10 guys who are all 30 years old and respectful of everyone on the slopes.

Being a dangerous sport, accidents are going to happen.  There are plenty of skiiers who are just as out-of-control as snowboarders.  Trust me.  I've done both.

1300258[/snapback]

so you're bisexual then? :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a snowboarder.  I snowboard with 6-10 guys who are all 30 years old and respectful of everyone on the slopes.

Being a dangerous sport, accidents are going to happen.  There are plenty of skiiers who are just as out-of-control as snowboarders.  Trust me.  I've done both.

1300258[/snapback]

atomic.... i think it is generational. you and your buds are atypical boarders. a very strong majority are younger little punks who don't care a lot about those around them. same segment are "free-stylers" too..... ski down hill backwards, etc......

yo-

common... you really saying stay in your house and don't partake in outdoor activities? everyone on the mountain has a responsiblity to stay in control. a 7 year old who is just learning the sport has no idea how to fully protect themselves out there and has little inclination of the extent of the risks invovled.... advanced skiers/boards need to know where they are and the level of others around them (it's not difficult to see that you are on a green run).

atomic.... i think it is generational.  you and your buds are atypical boarders.  a very strong majority are younger little punks who don't care a lot about those around them.

1300620[/snapback]

That's racist, man. :D

I think most skiiers are brie-sniffing white-zinfindel-gulping yuppies in fur-collared jackets too busy talking to their Lexus dealer on a cell phone and listening to Air Supply to make it down the hill properly. Focus on the mountain, or go back to Massachusetts, pretty boy! :D

I don't get it. Anti-snowboardism is so 1995. These days it's all about diversity. :D

I think most skiiers are brie-sniffing white-zinfindel-gulping yuppies in fur-collared jackets too busy talking to their Lexus dealer on a cell phone and listening to Air Supply to make it down the hill properly.  Focus on the mountain, or go back to Massachusetts, pretty boy!  :D

1300987[/snapback]

:D

That's racist, man.  :D 

I think most skiiers are brie-sniffing white-zinfindel-gulping yuppies in fur-collared jackets too busy talking to their Lexus dealer on a cell phone and listening to Air Supply to make it down the hill properly.  Focus on the mountain, or go back to Massachusetts, pretty boy!  :D

I don't get it.  Anti-snowboardism is so 1995.  These days it's all about diversity.  :D

1300987[/snapback]

I dont' ski anymore but last week, a bunch of people from work were heading up for some night skiing so I tagged along to sit and get drunk in the bar. I saw quite a few snow-boarders intentionally messing with skiers on the slopes. At first, I figured that they must have known each other but I'm not sure that was actually the case. I saw quite a few take a fall as a result. From the bar, it was entertainment for me and I think I caught myself clapping a couple of times. From the slopes, I would have been pissed.

yo-

common... you really saying stay in your house and don't partake in outdoor activities?  everyone on the mountain has a responsiblity to stay in control.  a 7 year old who is just learning the sport has no idea how to fully protect themselves out there and has little inclination of the extent of the risks invovled.... advanced skiers/boards need to know where they are and the level of others around them (it's not difficult to see that you are on a green run).

1300620[/snapback]

No, I'm not recommending that any become a shut in. What I'm saying is that anyone engaging in sports is at risk of getting hurt. That is an inherent risk one must accept when deciding to participate in sports, regardless of age. While there are usually rules in place for the safety of the participants, we all know that some people aren't going to follow the rules. We also know that some people are going to get hurt even if all rules are followed. That's just part of sports. If that risk is unacceptable, then don't play the sport. That's what I'm saying.

And I've already said that anyone being overly dangerous on a green run deserves to get roughed up because those areas are mostly inhabited with little kids and noobs who don't know what they are doing. Experienced skiers and snowboarders should be expected to show a higher degree of caution on those runs than on black diamond runs. Course, H8's poll (as usual) doesn't provide that level of context, so its hard say how irate he deserves to be, if at all.

Please.  It's a mountain.  It's sloped downward.  People ski and board down the hill, some faster than others.  If your 7 year old can't get out of the way, perhaps she should stay at home.  It's a big bad world out there, and it ain't always fair.  You know that contact by others (intentional or not) might happen if you put your kid into any kind of sporting environment.  So if/when that happens, you can't get too upset about it, especially if it was indavertent.

you are almost blaming the 7 year old here

That said, assuming the person (skis, board, doesn't matter) was being reckless on like a green square kiddie slope and I got a hold of them, yeah, I'd rough 'em up a little.  (Like I said, it's a big bad world out there).  But people who want to go a million miles an hour and risk their lives can go down black diamonds if they want to, where that kind of behavior is more expected.

1300101[/snapback]

a collision is different than just falling on your own. 95% of collisions are preventable

I don't get it.  Anti-snowboardism is so 1995.  

1300987[/snapback]

Gotta go with Atomic here. The ranks of snowboarders are growing fast. What was once a fringe sport is now completely mainstream. There are just as many a$$hats on skiis on the mountain as there are a$$hats on snowboards. You skiers better get used to us, we're not going away.

To me though, this incident is more about a 52 year old man hitting a little girl than it is about skiers v. snowboarders.

Of course, I do all my skiing in the Alps, so maybe the clientelle is different there :D

Edited by billay

Again, your poll sucks. If it was intentional, sure I'd beat down anyone who ran over my baby girl. If it were an accident, of course, different story.

1299720[/snapback]

I agree, and add that if he were boarding wrecklessly he should be smacked as well!

Gotta go with Atomic here.  The ranks of snowboarders are growing fast.  What was once a fringe sport is now completely mainstream.  There are just as many a$$hats on skiis on the mountain as there are a$$hats on snowboards.  You skiers better get used to us, we're not going away.

not true.  many more boarding Kate Middletons than skier Kate Middletons.  again more of a generational thing imo.... older boarders are more conscientious.

To me though, this incident is more about a 52 year old man hitting a little girl than it is about skiers v. snowboarders.

agree..... though a strong core of boarders are wreckless

Of course, I do all my skiing in the Alps, so maybe the clientelle is different there :D

1301307[/snapback]

not true.  many more boarding Kate Middletons than skier Kate Middletons.  again more of a generational thing imo.... older boarders are more conscientious.

1301325[/snapback]

I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of jibberpunks out there, because there are. I do think that much of this is about perception. People don't like the way young snowboarders look/act. That doesn't mean they are reckless on the slopes. I've been buzzed by way more skiers than snowboarders (both as a skier and a snowboarder.)

Maybe it's a colorado thing?

a collision is different than just falling on your own.  95% of collisions are preventable

1301290[/snapback]

I'm not blaming the 7 year. But the 7 year old - anyone, really - needs to appricate that collissions (both avoidable and unavoidable) happen sometimes. It's part of the sport. It is a forseesable potential result of hitting the slopes. Given that inherant risk, if you are unable to lookout for yourself, than you shouldn't engage in the sport. And even if you are able to look out for yourself, we ALL know (or ought to know) there are people out there who are going to be reckless and act without regard for those around them. Is that really such a controversial concept?

And, as I've said before, WHERE the reckless behavior occurs is very important. If people are hot-dogging it on a double diamond and blow by some kid who is way over their head, that's massively different than if some jackhole is knocking kids over on a green square bunny slope. As I've said repeatedly, the jackhole knocking kids over on the bunny slope deserves to be taught a lesson. So I'm not quite sure what we are wrasslin' over, Bier.

I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of jibberpunks out there, because there are.  I do think that much of this is about perception.  People don't like the way young snowboarders look/act.  That doesn't mean they are reckless on the slopes.  I've been buzzed by way more skiers than snowboarders (both as a skier and a snowboarder.)

Maybe it's a colorado thing?

1301338[/snapback]

i could honestly care less about how they look...it is how they act on the hill that pisses people off. yeah...plenty speedsters on both sides of this..... i just see more younger boarders out of control than skiers... and i saw plenty of this in CA as well (it was probably worse then- prior to 01). i think as boarding is getting more mainstream, riders in general, are getting more responsible.

What I'm saying is that anyone engaging in sports is at risk of getting hurt.

It is quite apparent you are as pale as skim milk and never do anything outside.

when the sex of the offender was unknown, it was 15-1, now that it is a girl it's different?

Well she was wearing a helmet, so who knew? And to defend snowboarders in general? There is no question the most reckless, irresponsible and careless people on the mountain are snowboarders, ask anyone who actually lives around one.

yo-

the only point i am bickering about is your statement that "if your 7 year old can't get out of the way they should stay home." i actually don't expect a 7 year old beginner to have the ability to do just that..... if you want to take your child out to learn how to ski/board, you should be able to do so with a high degree of safety and security. i can accept my daughter hurting hurtself in the moguls, i can't accept people putting beginners at risk.... it is not a beginners fault they can't get out of the way (due to skill level and inability to see behind them)... it is the flying Kate Middleton that needs to stay in control or stay away from those beginner areas.

Bier, with all of the high profile skiing accidents which took place in the last few years, have the slopes out your way been cracking down on reckless skiing? They have been where I ski on the east coast, but its not nearly as prevalent where I ski in France.

yo-

the only point i am bickering about is your statement that "if your 7 year old can't get out of the way they should stay home."  i actually don't expect a 7 year old beginner to have the ability to do just that.....  if you want to take your child out to learn how to ski/board, you should be able to do so with a high degree of safety and security.

1301388[/snapback]

That's a rational point. Which I why I completely agree that if someone is being reckless on a bunny slope they deserve to be taken to the woodshed.

Bier, with all of the high profile skiing accidents which took place in the last few years, have the slopes out your way been cracking down on reckless skiing?  They have been where I ski on the east coast, but its not nearly as prevalent where I ski in France.

1301396[/snapback]

yeah..... i've seen quite a few passes pulled and charges brought....see more personnel trying to regulate speed out there