[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most Impressive Individual Streak in Baseball

whitem0nkey

Guest Cherni

It's gotta be Joey D. Jack Taylor's streak is nice however most pitchers in 1900 pitched complete games, whether it was 9 innings or 15 innings. There were no relief pitchers. It's an accomplishment yes, but given the era, not as impressive.

Joey D's streak is timeless. No matter what era you played in, a 56 game hit streak is ridiculous.

It's gotta be Joey D. Jack Taylor's streak is nice however most pitchers in 1900 pitched complete games, whether it was 9 innings or 15 innings. There were no relief pitchers. It's an accomplishment yes, but given the era, not as impressive.

Joey D's streak is timeless. No matter what era you played in, a 56 game hit streak is ridiculous.

1447021[/snapback]

What I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? said. I lobbied for this in the other records thread, so it's a no-brainer here for me.

1447021[/snapback]

Nod. I was torn between this one and Jack Taylor's. I voted for Taylor's after a little hesitation.

Johnny Vander Meer's Consecutive No Hitters

"Most baseball historians believe that his feat will never be exceeded, since to do so a pitcher would have to throw three consecutive no-hitters. Allie Reynolds (in 1951), Virgil Trucks (in 1952), and Nolan Ryan (in 1973) are the only other major leaguers thus far to throw two no-hitters in the same season. The pitcher who came closest to matching Vander Meer's feat was Ewell Blackwell of Cincinnati, who had a no-hitter broken up with one out in the ninth against Brooklyn on June 22, 1947, four days after no-hitting the Boston Braves 6-0."

Edited by muck

Guest Cherni
when you click on his name you get this.

A four-time All-Star, Vander Meer is the only pitcher in major league history to pitch two consecutive no-hitters.

Link

1458124[/snapback]

Anthony Velasquez from Bayside Queens threw 2 perfect games in a row in HS. I know it's HS, but still very impressive. He followed those with a 1 hitter. Amazing.

Johnny Vander Meer's Consecutive No Hitters

"Most baseball historians believe that his feat will never be exceeded, since to do so a pitcher would have to throw three consecutive no-hitters. Allie Reynolds (in 1951), Virgil Trucks (in 1952), and Nolan Ryan (in 1973) are the only other major leaguers thus far to throw two no-hitters in the same season. The pitcher who came closest to matching Vander Meer's feat was Ewell Blackwell of Cincinnati, who had a no-hitter broken up with one out in the ninth against Brooklyn on June 22, 1947, four days after no-hitting the Boston Braves 6-0."

1457549[/snapback]

He was born and raised 2 towns over from where I live.

Ripkens streak may never be broken, but like I said before, you don't have to be a great player to break it (same with Dimaggio's).  Some of the others, you have to be a great player.

1466211[/snapback]

I disagree. You do have to be a great player to break Joe DiMaggio’s hitting streak. Just consider that in the past 100 years only 4 players have hit safely in 40 or more games:

Joey D – 56

Rose – 44

Sisler – 41

Cobb – 40

Pretty impressive names here. Sisler, probably the least famous of the bunch, batted .420 the year of his streak.

I also believe that this would be the hardest record to break because it is the most famous streak of them all. Could you imagine the (media) pressure a player would be under if he had reached 50 consecutive games with a hit?

I disagree. You do have to be a great player to break Joe DiMaggio’s hitting streak.  Just consider that in the past 100 years only 4 players have hit safely in 40 or more games:

Joey D – 56

Rose – 44

Sisler – 41

Cobb – 40

Pretty impressive names here.  Sisler, probably the least famous of the bunch, batted .420 the year of his streak. 

I also believe that this would be the hardest record to break because it is the most famous streak of them all.  Could you imagine the (media) pressure a player would be under if he had reached 50 consecutive games with a hit?

1466430[/snapback]

I agree the media pressure would be great for this streak. However if you extend your research to more than 100 years and 35 hits, check out some of the names. Not quite the same caliber of players (Molitor was fantastic).

1897 Willie Keeler Baltimore (NL) 44

1894 Bill Dahlen Chicago (NL) 42

1987 Paul Molitor Milwaukee 39

1945 Tommy Holmes Boston (NL) 37

1894 Billy Hamilton Philadelphia (NL) 36

1895 Fred Clarke Louisville (NL) 35

2002 Luis Castillo Florida 35

I guess my point is you don't necessarily have to be a great player to hit a single 56 games in a row. Some of the others requires you to be a great player. You can't be a good player and hit 755 home runs or throw 7 no hitters or get 5,000 strikeouts, you must be exceptional.

Not taking anything away from Ripken's and Dimaggio's streaks, just that 'at least in theory', you don't have to be great to accomplish it. Just so happens both of them were however :D

I agree the media pressure would be great for this streak.  However if you extend your research to more than 100 years and 35 hits,  check out some of the names.  Not quite the same caliber of players (Molitor was fantastic).

1897 Willie Keeler Baltimore (NL) 44

1894 Bill Dahlen  Chicago (NL) 42

1987 Paul Molitor Milwaukee 39 

1945 Tommy Holmes  Boston (NL) 37

1894 Billy Hamilton Philadelphia (NL) 36

1895 Fred Clarke Louisville (NL) 35

2002 Luis Castillo  Florida 35

I guess my point is you don't necessarily have to be a great player to hit a single 56 games in a row.  Some of the others requires you to be a great player.  You can't be a good player and hit 755 home runs or throw 7 no hitters or get 5,000 strikeouts, you must be exceptional.

Not taking anything away from Ripken's and Dimaggio's streaks, just that 'at least in theory', you don't have to be great to accomplish it.  Just so happens both of them were however :D

1466541[/snapback]

Can’t agree with the “players of less caliber” comment. Willie Keller, Bill Dahlen and Tommy Holmes batted .424, .357, and .420 in the seasons of their streaks. The problem here is that anytime anyone gets to 30 it becomes a story even though they are only 54% of the way to tying the record. Because of this the names of a lot of “less than great” players come to mind when you think of this record. To this day I can still remember the name Ken Landreaux who hit safely in 31 straight games back when I was kid

I also don’t think going too far back in time does the record any justice either. If you go way back you’ll find that hitters had higher averages. The higher your average the better chance you have of hitting in consecutive games. Just consider that since 1911 (95 years), 12 times a player has batted over .400 for the season. In the 35 years prior to that it was done 23 times.

So expanding the window on this record takes away from how impressive it really is and how difficult it would be to break today. It’s not just as simple as saying a guy has to have 1 single in 56 games in a row.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason I didn't go with Jack Taylor was that his 187 complete games wasn't a huge deal back then. He was the pitcher. All game. That's just what he did. He couldn't even fathom breaking his streak. It wasn't that hard to him.

I was then left with either Joe D or Cal. I never liked Cal. I love reading anything I can get my hands on about DiMaggio. The thing is, I can fathom someone like Ichiro getting a hit in 56 straight.--- I absolutely cannot imagine someone playing their whole career and NOT MISSING A F'ING GAME!! Just one!! You gotta be kidding me!! Turn an ankle rounding the bag, pop a hammy, strain a quad, family issue, the flu, car wreck, SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!! I don't get it.