[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chester Taylor ?

sacosud

Taylor could be this years sink or swim pick. I believe the O-line in Minny is quite good this year with the addition of Hutch. Even though the receivers aren't spectacular, there is potential there as well. Watching Chester play the last couple of years, it seemed to me that he was by far the better back in Baltimore and couldn't understand why Baltimore wouldn't at least give him a shot.

I like this kid. In a redraft, I'd probably swing to high for him and take a chance in the 2nd round on him. He's probably more of a 4th 5o 5th round pick, but I tend to grab high potential guys.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Chester play the last couple of years, it seemed to me that he was by far the better back in Baltimore and couldn't understand why Baltimore wouldn't at least give him a shot.

1471327[/snapback]

Taylor's Rushing Stats

373 carries 1599 yards 4.3 avg 52 long 4 TDs

Jamal's Rushing Stats

1508 carries 6669 yards 4.4 avg 82 long 36 TDs

Taylor's Receiving Stats

105 receptions 737 yards 7.0 avg 23 long 3 TDs

Jamal's Receiving Stats

142 receptions 1250 yards 8.8 avg 77 long 2 TDs

Chester is a nice backup type RB that will have an occasional big game. I don't see him being the every down answer in Minnesota. Not nearly explosive enough. Witness his longest carry and reception in contrast to Jamal's.

I believe he will have a good year. Nothing spetacular, maybe 1200 rush 250 rec 6-10 total TDs. The situation looks pretty good for him as the Vikings line has been improved substantially by the additions of Hutchinson and Hicks, the return of Birk and the overall improvement in stability. That and he has Tony Richardson as a lead blocker, and he has a record of supporting a pretty decent running in game in KC (perhaps you have heard of Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, they are sort of a big deal).

Also...

There will not a RBBC in Minnesota, Moore is as fragile as the TP in a public bathroom and Fason had 1.9 ypc so unless he has a monumental improvement he isn't a threat to steal carries.

Taylor's Rushing Stats

373 carries  1599 yards  4.3 avg  52 long  4 TDs

Jamal's Rushing Stats

1508 carries  6669 yards    4.4 avg    82 long  36 TDs

Taylor's Receiving Stats

105 receptions    737 yards    7.0 avg    23 long    3 TDs

Jamal's Receiving Stats

142 receptions    1250 yards    8.8 avg    77 long    2 TDs

Chester is a nice backup type RB that will have an occasional big game.  I don't see him being the every down answer in Minnesota.  Not nearly explosive enough.  Witness his longest carry and reception in contrast to Jamal's.

1471373[/snapback]

This of course includes his spectacular 2,000 yd. season. He has been no where near as dominant the last two seasons. If you watched him play at all the last 2 seasons, you would see that Jamal is a shell of his former self and Taylor is the much better back.

Chester could have a very decent season. With Birk healthy and the addition of Hutch and Richardson, he's going to get some great blocking up front. Adding to that, he's either going to line up with an aging QB that loves the short dump off or a rookie QB with hugh unknowns.

Just MHO, but that sounds a little lofty for a guy that:

1) Has never been a featured back

see Lamont Jordan & I think even Priest Holmes for 2 examples

2) Has Brad Johnson as his QB

Charlie Garner reaped the benefits of BJ liking the dump off pass.  BJ is serviceable to say the least

3) Has no stand out receiving threats on his team (as of yet...)

if anything is going to be by committee in Minny it could be at WR...they may not be spectacular but they should be solid and KROB does have very good upside

4) Is on a team with a new HC, who has never been an HC, and whose offense hasn't featured a big runner in recent memory.

said New Coach traded for Taylor...said new coach is the old OC for Philly and wanted to run the ball more there...you are correct that Childress has never been a head coach before...fwiw neither had andy reid....the offense they had isnt the offense they will have

I am not overly excited about the prospects for the vikings, myself...and I think Taylor will struggle in that situation.  The only positive change is tha addition of Hutchinson.  If he does well, it will be the impact on the line.

1470804[/snapback]

He is gonna get a lot of work in Minny IMHO ...

1470806[/snapback]

-1 x -1

Listening to NFL radio one day and some comments from some NFL writers like Kirwin (sp) ...

Plus they paid him too much money and were too aggressive getting him for a real RBBC type thing ...

Its what I believe anyway.  Sometimes I'm right too ...

:D

1470816[/snapback]

-1 x -1

I should also have mentioned that Taylor also has to contend with M Moore and C Fason, losing 3rd down touches and goal line carries.

1470834[/snapback]

Taylor coming from a 3rd down role will not lose touches on 3rd down to Moore...moore will give taylor an occasional rest and thats about it...as for Fason and goal line carries imo there are even more questions as to if fason is able to fill that role(after all he was a pick of the old regime)...but fwiw I do think Fason gets "some" GL work but not in a bettis TD hawking way

I gotta admit I'm pretty high on Chester this season.  Everything I've read on him suggests he's a very good receiver out of the backfield.  BECAUSE he has no WR threats and BECAUSE he has Brad Johnson (who LOVED Charlie Garner in the same role), I think he can get in that 500 receiving yard range, which could potentially make him a very good fantasy back if he can score some TDs.

1471128[/snapback]

-1 x -1

The situation looks pretty good for him as the Vikings line has been improved substantially by the additions of Hutchinson and Hicks, the return of Birk and the overall improvement in stability.  That and he has Tony Richardson as a lead blocker

hmm that new coach added Hutch and Tony R....looks like building blocks of a commitment to a running game to me

Also...

There will not a RBBC in Minnesota, Moore is as fragile as the TP in a public bathroom and Fason had 1.9 ypc so unless he has a monumental improvement he isn't a threat to steal carries.

good info here....i would but about a .0001% chance of RBBC in Minny

1471507[/snapback]

This of course includes his spectacular 2,000 yd. season.  He has been no where near as dominant the last two seasons.  If you watched him play at all the last 2 seasons, you would see that Jamal is a shell of his former self and Taylor is the much better back.

1471517[/snapback]

Chester is over-rated. He could not even beat out a player that was a "shell" of his former self for the job in Baltimore last year. And I believe that I have seen him play a few more times than yourself. Care for a small wager on who has the better year this year, Jamal or Chester?

Edited by Trots

In short, I think he will be a top 10 RB. Even with all of the question marks coming into the season, he is in one of the best positions a RB could be in... basically an exlcusive starter behind a talented O-line.

i think you have to take a leap of faith to come to that conclusion

1471788[/snapback]

Hardly a leap... it's a well educated guess based upon player history, circumstances, talent level, etc.

You certainly don't have to believe it, but it's an opinion from someone who follows the team very closely.

1471788[/snapback]

a leap i am willing to take since their NEW COACH has taken that same leap in a manner of speaking

:D  I hope he's drafted top 10 in all of my leagues.  That means more RBs that I would prefer to draft slipping to me!!

1471831[/snapback]

i never said he should be drafted top 10...but that doesnt mean he wont perform at that level....after all the name of the game when drafting is trying to get value on your picks

with that said if his ADP is in the fourth round and i was in the mid to late 3rd and needed a RB i would jump on him....if i had a chance to land a top notch WR in round 2 because i know i can land Chester in round 3 I am gonna do it

:D  I hope he's drafted top 10 in all of my leagues.  That means more RBs that I would prefer to draft slipping to me!!

1471831[/snapback]

I don't think he'll be drafted top 10 either. I think he will end up producing as a top 10 RB. Big difference.

with that said if his ADP is in the fourth round and i was in the mid to late 3rd and needed a RB i would jump on him....if i had a chance to land a top notch WR in round 2 because i know i can land Chester in round 3 I am gonna do it

1471851[/snapback]

I will target him in the 3rd if I have an early pick...

this way I could have one of the top 3, a stud WR along with a highly potential stud RB....

Chester is over-rated.  He could not even beat out a player that was a "shell" of his former self for the job in Baltimore last year.  And I believe that I have seen him play a few more times than yourself.  Care for a small wager on who has the better year this year, Jamal or Chester?

1471688[/snapback]

Absolutely. I'll take that bet! What's the official bet. Chester vs. Jamal total yards through week 17. Regardles of injuries, or do we want to include injuries?

Chester is over-rated.  He could not even beat out a player that was a "shell" of his former self for the job in Baltimore last year.  And I believe that I have seen him play a few more times than yourself.  Care for a small wager on who has the better year this year, Jamal or Chester?

1471688[/snapback]

it's not about who is better....

the Vikings will have a gameplan suited towards Taylor...

they have a vastly superior OL to the Ravens and they'll be throwing to Taylor plenty as well...

Absolutely.  I'll take that bet!  What's the official bet.  Chester vs. Jamal total yards through week 17.  Regardles of injuries, or do we want to include injuries?

1472020[/snapback]

Total yards (rushing and receiving) - every 10 yds = 1 pt

TDs = 6 pts

Total number of fantasy points regardless of injury. 2007 Huddle membership to the winner.

I believe 100% that this is a RBBC situation in Minny. No way that Fason and Moore sit the whole year (not that they are so great). Taylor will get about 1100 total yds if that, and about 6 tds. That is not winning any fantasy championships. I would stay clear of the Minny backfield.

Remember the guy that backed up Jamal Lewis five years ago? (not Moe Williams, although he was VERY effective as the exclusive starter) Remember how he supposedly could catch the ball out of the backfield, but upon getting a starting role elsewhere, was considered to be too small and not explosive enough?? Remember how he got to go to a team with a good OL?? I'm just sayin

In short, I think he will be a top 10 RB.  Even with all of the question marks coming into the season, he is in one of the best positions a RB could be in... basically an exlcusive starter behind a talented O-line.

1471691[/snapback]

1471788[/snapback]

Not when your only competition is Mewelde "Fragile Freddie Jr" Moore and Ciatrick Fason.

Total yards (rushing and receiving) - every 10 yds = 1 pt

TDs = 6 pts

Total number of fantasy points regardless of injury.  2007 Huddle membership to the winner.

1472346[/snapback]

:D Regardless of injuries, or up until the point one gets injured. I'd rather stick with just stats instead of fantasy stats. If we go fantasy stats, then I want .5 points per reception in there as well.

1471688[/snapback]

It wasnt a matter of being beaten out. Billick never allowed Taylor to start in Jamals place. Had he done that all season, Taylor would have had 1200 yards at least, and about 8 TDs. This is what I expect from him this year. Anyone that has SEEN Taylor play (which I watched because I had both Jamal and Taylor) will know that Taylor is clearly the better of the backs last year. Taylor will do just fine, and Id be willing to bet money that if he stays healthy, he'll be in the top 10-15 backs.