[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Baseball Player

The Holy Roller

Homer's opinions count the most. Who do you believe is/was the greatest player for your favorite franchise. Name ONE POSITION player and ONE PITCHER.

My choices for the St. Louis Cardinals: Stan Musial and Bob Gibson.

Detroit Tigers -

I'll stick to players I actually watched (since 1980):

Position Player - Alan Trammell

Pitcher - Jack Morris

If we're talking all-time, I'm sure Ty Cobb, Al Kaline and Hal Newhouser would get a bunch of votes.

Pittsburgh Pirates

Player: Roberto Clemente

Pitcher: Elroy Face

Went with Clemente as a player, though a case could be made for Honus Wagner. However, I went with a more present-day player. Clemente could do it all - average, power, rbi's, stolen bases, had a cannon for an arm. Along with Wagner, other honorable mentions go to Willie Stargell, Ralph Kiner, Barry Bonds (wasn't here long enough), Pie Traynor, Arky Vaughn, Paul & Lloyd Waner.

The Pirates have had a lot of great offensive players through the years, but, do not really have any present-day stand-out pitchers. I went with a reliever in Elroy Face. If I was going back to early days, the obvious answer would be Wilbur Cooper. Honorable mentions to Bob Friend, Bob Veale, Doug Drabek, Deacon Phillipe, & Kent Tekulve.

Banks was, by far, the best of those three as a hitter. Dude hit over 500 HRs in the dead-ball era.

I agree with Ernie Banks being the best hitter. But...

The dead ball era was in the early 1900's...

Thought Banks played shortstop......

I'd go Hack Wilson, and my current favorite player Carlos Zambrano. He's balls.

:D I meant to type "OFFENSE" but stopped a bit short... fantasy baseball on the brain, obviously.

Zambrano is a beast.

Zambrano is a beast.

I would love him on the sox.

Z is a guy you love on your team and you hate to play against, and not just cause he is good, but he gets under your skin, with his finger pointing up every K.

AJ catching bug Z..............wow

if he could control his temper he could be twice as good as crazy as that sounds. many times i see him cursing threw a game, and then he walks a guys, give a hit up and he looses it. the Latin in him takes over and he will challenge the hitter with a 100 MPH fastball down the middle.

also the cubs better not mess him up. I know he is a work horse, but so far this year accept for his last start he pitched 100+ pitches each game, and 126 back to back before his last start.

and the only reason he did not go deep last outing is cause he felt sourness in his arm, and he told dusty thats it im done.