[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The problem with futbol (soccer)

Pope Flick

Watching the world cup, I'm actually impressed during some offsides calls. On replay some of these look so close, yet correct, and I wonder how the refs can tell where a guy is when the ball is kicked when the ball is well away from him and he has to look across a field of players. It made me realize it's as, if not moreso, difficult as getting consistently good calls for balls and strikes in baseball.

But the above clip, and soccer's reliance on this type of behavior that will keep most Americans away. McBride had blood flwoing down his face and wasn't writhing around in agony.

Still, this tool better have been heavily sanctioned.

I'm no soccer guru, but I think the line judges stay near the defense and call the offsides.

That being said, I tried like hell to get into this tournament but the diving and whining has proved unwatchable. I saw one Italian player get carted off the field on a stretcher, rolling in agony as if his whole knee had exploded....then scored a goal ten minutes later (against Ghana).

Its pretty lame, when football season start...

Watching the world cup, I'm actually impressed during some offsides calls. On replay some of these look so close, yet correct, and I wonder how the refs can tell where a guy is when the ball is kicked when the ball is well away from him and he has to look across a field of players. It made me realize it's as, if not moreso, difficult as getting consistently good calls for balls and strikes in baseball.

You may be aware that the referee typically doesn't make the offside call, the linesmen do. The linesman typically stays with the last defender (not including the keeper) and this makes it somewhat easier to make the offside call.

You may be aware that the referee typically doesn't make the offside call, the linesmen do. The linesman typically stays with the last defender (not including the keeper) and this makes it somewhat easier to make the offside call.

I know that, what impresses me is when the ball is near the midfield on the opposite side of the linesman who makes the call.

The PROBLEM is that I can watch for 90 minutes and not ever see a goal scored.

I, Whomper, agree with the post that I have have quoted above me. Im not using this post to pad im simply reassuring the huddler who posted the quote above that I am in agreement with the general sentiments of their post ©

The PROBLEM is that I can watch for 90 minutes and not ever see a goal scored.

In baseball I will enjoy a 1-0 game usually more than a 7-3 game.

And in football I like to watch good defensive games.

I think in all sports the casual fans wants more offence. But the purist will enjoy the defensive tug-o-war.

yeah, adriano for brazil got one today. i wish they'd call a LOT more of them.

It's extremely difficult for the ref to tell the difference between diving and a genuine foul. The cure for this problem is obvious - FIFA should review every game and sanction all dives with a one game suspension. The problem would disappear overnight.

what about adding another ref on the field???? :D

It's been tried several times and it doesn't work. Way too much confusion.

The problem with soccer is that it is not football or rugby or aussie rules football--God gave everyone hands to use.

On Point- a sport played with a ball, but you cannot use your hands? please

Played by wannabe metrosexual phags- soccer has got to be the gayest sport on the planet

:D GO ENGLAND

The problem with soccer is that the people who seem to be blathering on the most about it are the ones who claim to hate it.

What's the deal with that? Soccer don't turn my crank, so I ignore it. :D

The problem with soccer is that it is not football or rugby or aussie rules football--God gave everyone hands to use.

On Point- a sport played with a ball, but you cannot use your hands? please

Played by wannabe metrosexual phags- soccer has got to be the gayest sport on the planet

:D GO ENGLAND

and yet when the rest of the world refers to a sport played almost exclusively with one's feet as "football," we complain that they've got it all wrong.

In baseball I will enjoy a 1-0 game usually more than a 7-3 game.

And in football I like to watch good defensive games.

I think in all sports the casual fans wants more offence. But the purist will enjoy the defensive tug-o-war.

I disagree. In soccer, especially in this kind of tournament, the strategy is often designed not to lose rather than to win. Baseball and football at least try to run their offense.

there are things about every sport to dislike.

I dislike the diving by soccer players. It detracts from the game and it detracts from the player.

I dislike a game being decided on shots from the penalty spot. I'd much rather that after the 30 min overtime, it became sudden death until a team scored. I think we'd see a lot less clogging up the goal on defense if each team knew that the only way to win was to put the ball in the back of the net.

I dislike how some PKs are awarded.

But I love to watch (and play, and coach) soccer. As I've mentioned before, I really believe that soccer is best enjoyed in the stadium as it is easier to sees plays develop. A well-played, offensive game can still end up being 0-0, and I'm okay with that. I like the strategies utilized. I like that a team only gets 3 subs for the entire game. I like that when players commit serious fouls, they get thrown out and the team cannot sub in for them. One of the greatest sporting events in my life was when I saw Tottenham play Arsenal in Wembley Stadium.

And deep down I'm pretty sure that those of you who rip on soccer, calling it metrosexual, etc., know that if you got on the soccer pitch with all 150 lbs of me, I'd make you look silly.

there are things about every sport to dislike.

I dislike the diving by soccer players. It detracts from the game and it detracts from the player.

I dislike a game being decided on shots from the penalty spot. I'd much rather that after the 30 min overtime, it became sudden death until a team scored. I think we'd see a lot less clogging up the goal on defense if each team knew that the only way to win was to put the ball in the back of the net.

I dislike how some PKs are awarded.

But I love to watch (and play, and coach) soccer. As I've mentioned before, I really believe that soccer is best enjoyed in the stadium as it is easier to sees plays develop. A well-played, offensive game can still end up being 0-0, and I'm okay with that. I like the strategies utilized. I like that a team only gets 3 subs for the entire game. I like that when players commit serious fouls, they get thrown out and the team cannot sub in for them. One of the greatest sporting events in my life was when I saw Tottenham play Arsenal in Wembley Stadium.

And deep down I'm pretty sure that those of you who rip on soccer, calling it metrosexual, etc., know that if you got on the soccer pitch with all 150 lbs of me, I'd make you look silly.

+1