[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You are up in the draft ... RB or WR

Optional 2 player keeper league with fairly standard performance scoring, no points for receptions. Start 1 RB, 3 WRs and 1 Flex (RB/WR), no TE.

18 RBs were kept

1 WR was kept

4 QBs were kept

You lose the draft pick that corresponds with where you originally drafted the player.

I kept Torry Holt for a 2nd round pick and Steven Jackson for a 6th round pick.

I drew the 3rd pick (draft snakes).

1.01 = Clinton Portis (19th RB off the board)

1.02 = Steve Smith (2nd WR off the board)

Now it's my pick, if you look at the Huddle performance ranking the best RBs on the board are Westbrook, DDavis (last of tier 2) and KJones (1st of tier 3).

Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison are all tier 1 WRs left on the board.

My next pick is 17 picks away (3.03, Holt is my 2.10). What do you do? Take a tier 2/3 RB to make sure I have 2 or take a top notch WR?

if it were me i take wesbrook. it's all about scarcity and given the scarcity of the quality RBs left, you need to grab one. that gives you two solid backs and the #1 WR which is a nice position to be in. given all the WRs are still out there, you should still be able to grab a decent pair coming back to go with holt.

Edited by tonorator

if it were me i take wesbrook. it's all about scarcity and given the scarcity of the quality RBs left, you need to grab one. that gives you two solid backs and the #1 WR which is a nice position to be in. given all the WRs are still out there, you should still be able to grab a decent pair coming back to go with smith.

Both him and DDavis having injury histories that have me nervous. A healthy Westbrook would certainly contribute nicely ... but will he be there in my playoff run?

I would go with Westbrook.

1.) IMO there is more sleeper WR's this year than any year I can remember.

2.) 17 picks later the quality of RB you will be able to get will be so low you may end up picking WR again.

3.) Jackson is great value as a 6th rounder, but I would want another very good back to go with him.

4.) Chad Johnson - Who knows when Palmer will actually be healthy.

5.)Randy Moss - has been injury prone the last few years constantly get Hammies.

6.) Terrell Owens - wonder what happens when he figures out he is on a run 1st team?

7.)Anquan Boldin - The Cardinals will run the ball alot more this year. I do not expect those huge numbers like last year for either Cardinal WR this year.

8.)Larry Fitzgerald - see Boldin

9.)Marvin Harrison - Wayne keeps getting better.

I know Westbrook is injury prone but I would grab him and use him when he is healthy because he is a monster. his receiving yards makes him a solid start even against teams good against the run.I would start him over Jackson while he is healthy myself and have Jackson as my flex .

Both him and DDavis having injury histories that have me nervous. A healthy Westbrook would certainly contribute nicely ... but will he be there in my playoff run?

i can't say, but who knows who will be there at the end of the season? :D

westbrook will be that offense if he holds up and that, for me, is just too much potential to pass up.

Here is how the RBs finished in our league last year:

#	Ovr	Player	1	1	Alexander, Shaun SEA RB	363.82	2	Johnson, Larry KCC RB	335.33	3	Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB	316.954	4	Barber, Tiki NYG RB	3075	5	James, Edgerrin ARI RB	268.36	7	Portis, Clinton WAS RB	246.367	11	Johnson, Rudi CIN RB	227.18	12	Jordan, Lamont OAK RB	226.89	21	Jones, Thomas CHI RB	202.910	25	Anderson, Mike BAL RB	200.611	27	Jackson, Steven STL RB	196.612	33	Dunn, Warrick ATL RB	187.613	37	McGahee, Willis BUF RB	172.614	38	Parker, Willie PIT RB	172.615	39	Droughns, Reuben CLE RB	172.316	42	Dillon, Corey NEP RB	169.417	43	Davis, Domanick HOU RB	167.318	44	Westbrook, Brian PHI RB	16719	52	Williams, Carnell TBB RB	161.920	54	Brown, Chris TEN RB	159.821	56	Jones, Julius DAL RB	152.222	58	Bell, Tatum DEN RB	150.523	67	Brown, Ronnie MIA RB	143.924	69	Foster, De'shaun CAR RB	143.425	76	Lewis, Jamal BAL RB	133.726	82	Davis, Stephen FA RB	131.127	109	Williams, Ricky MIA RB	119.728	112	Moore, Mewelde MIN RB	118.729	120	Martin, Curtis NYJ RB	115.330	137	Gado, Samkon GBP RB	107.9

He got hurt week 13 and was out the remainder of the year ... during FF playoffs.

Do we know he is fully recovered?

Here is how the RBs finished in our league last year:

Do we know he is fully recovered?

i know he looked damn good in his first pre-season game, but does have a sprained foot.

Running back Brian Westbrook and defensive tackle Darwin Walker are still out, Westbrook with a sprained foot and Walker with a broken rib. Reid said Westbrook is day-to-day but probably won't play in Baltimore. “He most likely won't be ready,” Reid said.

this is the other foot (left) vs. the one he sprained last year (right) and this sprain doesn't look to be as bad. he still has a month to heal up which they are saying should be fine.

clearly you have a risk/reward situation here. you only mentioned 3 backs in your initial post and i would assume they would be all gone when it comes back around to you. you have to look at what kind of RB2 you would be faced with if you passed.

i would take this risk ...

i know he looked damn good in his first pre-season game, but does have a sprained foot.

this is the other foot (left) vs. the one he sprained last year (right) and this sprain doesn't look to be as bad. he still has a month to heal up which they are saying should be fine.

clearly you have a risk/reward situation here. you only mentioned 3 backs in your initial post and i would assume they would be all gone when it comes back around to you. you have to look at what kind of RB2 you would be faced with if you passed.

i would take this risk ...

Did you notice that I don't have to start 2 RBs?

The fact you only need to start 1 RB makes the choice easy for me. I'd rather have a CJ/Fitz/Owens in that spot. I'm partial to Owens this year, but any of those 3 would pair nicely with Holt. There will still be a few diamonds in the rough at RB later in the draft.

Optional 2 player keeper league with fairly standard performance scoring, no points for receptions. Start 1 RB, 3 WRs and 1 Flex (RB/WR), no TE.

18 RBs were kept

1 WR was kept

4 QBs were kept

You lose the draft pick that corresponds with where you originally drafted the player.

I kept Torry Holt for a 2nd round pick and Steven Jackson for a 6th round pick.

I drew the 3rd pick (draft snakes).

1.01 = Clinton Portis (19th RB off the board)

1.02 = Steve Smith (2nd WR off the board)

Now it's my pick, if you look at the Huddle performance ranking the best RBs on the board are Westbrook, DDavis (last of tier 2) and KJones (1st of tier 3).

Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison are all tier 1 WRs left on the board.

My next pick is 17 picks away (3.03, Holt is my 2.10). What do you do? Take a tier 2/3 RB to make sure I have 2 or take a top notch WR?

Westbrook is the easy pick. It's a question of availability.

There is a chance he will get hurt, sure. There's also a chance that he will put up dominating numbers that those WRs can't really approach. The simple fact is that it is much easier to find an opportunity at WR than it is to find one at RB, and it's also easier to get a starting WR for a team than it is to get a starting RB.

as only 1 RB is required it would be hard to pass up rolling with a core lineup that looked like this:

SJax

Holt

Starvin Marvin/CJ/Fitz

you'd have 2 of the top 4-6 WRs while others are scrambling to field 3 competent WRs and possibly a 4th with the flex spot.

not sure how many teams in the league, but i imagine at least one will be jonesing for a top WR after a couple of weeks and you may be able to flip Holt or one of the other 3 mentioned for another Tier 2 RB to pair with SJax.

just my $0.02

I like Davis and Chad Johnson the best of the players you listed. Davis only because fundamentally, I cannot fathom not taking 2 RBs in the first 3 rounds. Given your starting requirements, not just 1 RB but the fact you must start 3 WRs, I'd be inclined to work on filling out my starting roster first. I'd take Chad Johnson.

Good luck.

I took Chad Johnson ... but it was a hard decision

1.01 - Clinton Portis

1.02 - Steve Smith

1.03 - Chad Johnson

1.04 - Brian Westbrook

1.06 - Larry Fitzgerald

1.07 - Julius Jones

1.11 - Randy Moss

So far in the first round 3 RBs taken, 4 WRs taken

I just started reading this now. I like this pick a lot. With all those RB's kept I figured WR's would dominate the first rounds of the draft.

if it were me i take wesbrook. it's all about scarcity and given the scarcity of the quality RBs left, you need to grab one. that gives you two solid backs and the #1 WR which is a nice position to be in. given all the WRs are still out there, you should still be able to grab a decent pair coming back to go with smith.

That's what I thought originally but only having to start one makes it a coin flip and since you seem to be wanting a WR it was a good choice to take Johnson. Funny how the guy after you takes Westy probably made you think. Oh I forgot you're ignoring me so you can't read this as you think what I have to say is unimportant. Oh well...

Should be my answer for him.

Westbrook is the easy pick. It's a question of availability.

There is a chance he will get hurt, sure. There's also a chance that he will put up dominating numbers that those WRs can't really approach. The simple fact is that it is much easier to find an opportunity at WR than it is to find one at RB, and it's also easier to get a starting WR for a team than it is to get a starting RB.

Part of my coin toss, it could be argued either way. Tough choice.

I like Davis and Chad Johnson the best of the players you listed. Davis only because fundamentally, I cannot fathom not taking 2 RBs in the first 3 rounds. Given your starting requirements, not just 1 RB but the fact you must start 3 WRs, I'd be inclined to work on filling out my starting roster first. I'd take Chad Johnson.

Good luck.

Hey Grits....I posted a similar question (not keeper and diff start req.) :D

I to would have taken Johnson, especially with your starting req. Good Luck with the rest of your draft and check out mine if you have a sec.

Round 1

1.01 - Clinton Portis

1.02 - Steve Smith

1.03 - Chad Johnson

1.04 - Brian Westbrook

1.05 - (K) Carnell Williams

1.06 - Larry Fitzgerald

1.07 - Julius Jones

1.08 - (K) Edgerrin James

1.09 - (K) LaDanian Tomlinson

1.10 - (K) Shaun Alexander

1.11 - Randy Moss