[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I heard something today that just threw dirt

PantherDave

ABC had always owned ESPN, though the ownership was a lot less transparent then. It had gone downhill after Disney bought ABC along with ESPN.

Thought that ESPN was independent for the first couple of years.... But yeah, you are right... since Disney bought them they have totally sucked.

if you can get 670the score out of Chicago from 2-6 you will get some solid perspective on the NFL but it's mostly Bears talk though. :D

Just avoid Mike North in the mornings. :D

ESPN is mostly crap now...

TV:

Mike & Mike - Why the hell are they putting a crappy radio show on TV?

Cold Pizza - Sports talk for people who know nothing about sports BY people who know nothing about sports.

Around The Horn - A roundtable discussion featuring obnoxious, egotistical, blow-hard journalists. No thanks.

PTI - One of the few intelligent, entertaining shows on the network.

Quite Frankly - Absolutely unwatchable. Stephen A. Smith is the most annoying sports personality ever.

SportsCenter - Not that bad, but there's little depth or analysis. Too much pop culture garbage nowadays.

Baseball Tonight - Was a decent show, but dropped off when Harold Reynolds was fired. Steve Phillips sucks.

NFL Live - OK, but nothing special.

NFL Matchup - The only otherhigh-quality show on the network. Jaws and Hodge are fantastic.

NFL Sunday (or whatever it's called) - Love Ditka and Jackson, but Irvin and Blowhard Berman destroy the show.

(I don't watch the NBA show)

Radio:

Mike & Mike - This is supposed to be their flagship radio show? LOL!

The Herd with Colin Cowherd - Replaced the far-superior Tony Kornheiser Show. Colin's entertaining at times, but nothing special.

The Dan Patrick Show - Sports analysis from a whiny, know-it-all and special guest commentary from a left-wing tool who REALLY likes to talk about politics. I'll pass.

Just avoid Mike North in the mornings. :D

ESPN is mostly crap now...

TV:

Mike & Mike - Why the hell are they putting a crappy radio show on TV?

Cold Pizza - Sports talk for people who know nothing about sports BY people who know nothing about sports.

Around The Horn - A roundtable discussion featuring obnoxious, egotistical, blow-hard journalists. No thanks.

PTI - One of the few intelligent, entertaining shows on the network.

Quite Frankly - Absolutely unwatchable. Stephen A. Smith is the most annoying sports personality ever.

SportsCenter - Not that bad, but there's little depth or analysis. Too much pop culture garbage nowadays.

Baseball Tonight - Was a decent show, but dropped off when Harold Reynolds was fired. Steve Phillips sucks.

NFL Live - OK, but nothing special.

NFL Matchup - The only otherhigh-quality show on the network. Jaws and Hodge are fantastic.

NFL Sunday (or whatever it's called) - Love Ditka and Jackson, but Irvin and Blowhard Berman destroy the show.

(I don't watch the NBA show)

Radio:

And Mike Murphy middays. That is the worst crap I ever heard in my life. At least North can have a clue from time to time. How can they support a Cub fan a$$-clown on for 2 hours. Does he really get enough listeners?

Mike & Mike - This is supposed to be their flagship radio show? LOL!

The Herd with Colin Cowherd - Replaced the far-superior Tony Kornheiser Show. Colin's entertaining at times, but nothing special.

The Dan Patrick Show - Sports analysis from a whiny, know-it-all and special guest commentary from a left-wing tool who REALLY likes to talk about politics. I'll pass.

Mike North :D has actually driven me to listening to Mike & Mike :lol:

Unfortunately its like the only way to get sporting news in the morning, cause heaven forbid that Mike North on a Sports radio station actually discuss sports!

Chicago wise though I gotta give a huge :D to Mac, Jurko, and Harry (though not so much Harry). Its not super informative but its entertaining and has some uncensored opinions compared to what you get from most media now a days.

Mike North :D has actually driven me to listening to Mike & Mike :lol:

Unfortunately its like the only way to get sporting news in the morning, cause heaven forbid that Mike North on a Sports radio station actually discuss sports!

Chicago wise though I gotta give a huge :D to Mac, Jurko, and Harry (though not so much Harry). Its not super informative but its entertaining and has some uncensored opinions compared to what you get from most media now a days.

North is a fool but makes sense once in a while. Mike Murphy is the biggest joke on radio. Anybody who has heard him knows I need to explain no further. Mike Murphy=a$$ clown

Does Olberman even have a show on ESPN? He's been a guest on Dan Patrick, but that's all I've ever heard. Maybe he's not on when I listen.

In the end, I'd rather not hear politics when listening to sports talk, because sports reporters usually aren't schooled in many of the complex issues in which they seem to project themselves as authorities because someone gave them a microphone (see Rush Limbaugh), but it happens. I have to hear "Conservative crap" when I listen to Steve Szaban, Andrew Siciliano (although he is not a shill and is quite reasonable in his approach the rare times he goes politics), or Tony Bruno.

You just gotta learn to be able to handle opinions different than your own and move on. It didn't bother me when Szaban spent all day one day proxy-bashing Liberals when he brought on a Canadian hockey reporter who was really just an angry pissant who just had an ax to grind with people who didn't think exactly like him. I listened, laughed, and got tired of it and turned on some music. Maybe you could do the same.

Oberman is on the 2nd hour of the show most days. Oh I still listen I could just do without it he doens't talk liberal all hour you know.

North is a fool but makes sense once in a while.

Unfortunately, his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Oberman is on the 2nd hour of the show most days. Oh I still listen I could just do without it he doens't talk liberal all hour you know.

What is the deal with ESPN featuring political hacks like Olbermann and Spike Lee on their shows? Did they not learn anything from the Rush Limbaugh incident?

Mike North :lol: has actually driven me to listening to Mike & Mike :brew:

Chicago wise though I gotta give a huge :lol: to Mac, Jurko, and Harry (though not so much Harry). Its not super informative but its entertaining and has some uncensored opinions compared to what you get from most media now a days.

Those two clowns are still on the radio there?!?! :D:D I lived in Chicago in 92 or 93 and they were on the Score then. I did like the "Who you crappin'" segment with North and whathisname...Dan McNeil??... though.

Oh yeah...ESPN does blow!

Wrong quote...I meant to quote the North and Murphy being crap post.

Edited by Ol' Gil

Locally Mike and The Maddog , on show quality, absolutely tea bag Mike and Mike..

You were dead on saying Mike and Mike were bad....

.....but please, please, please, please don't EVER say Mike and the Mad Dog on 660 are better. Mike and the Mad Dog are the WORST two on the radio in the NorthEast :D

Edited by BigMikeinNY

They have really biffed it this week in starting some false rumors, in which because they're ESPN, everyone starts buying into it.

#1 - False report about Warner getting benched for Leinart. I live in Phoenix and do hear more than whats just on the national news, but D Green was a pretty po'd that this rumor was ever started. He never mentioned anything on Monday about putting Leinart in there. And where did this "rumor" start?? ESPN

#2 - Last night, ESPN was the first to report that T.O. (for humor purposes only - "T"ried to "O"verdose) tried to commit suicide. Then less than 24 hours later, he is released from the hospital? If he did in fact try to off himself, why would the hospital not keep him there for mental tests and observations?? And where did this "rumor" start? ESPN

I'm starting to second guess everything I've been reading and watching on ESPN. They're supposed to be the leader in sports! If that's the case, then get your story straight instead of making stuff up!!!

They have really biffed it this week in starting some false rumors, in which because they're ESPN, everyone starts buying into it.

#1 - False report about Warner getting benched for Leinart. I live in Phoenix and do hear more than whats just on the national news, but D Green was a pretty po'd that this rumor was ever started. He never mentioned anything on Monday about putting Leinart in there. And where did this "rumor" start?? ESPN

#2 - Last night, ESPN was the first to report that T.O. (for humor purposes only - "T"ried to "O"verdose) tried to commit suicide. Then less than 24 hours later, he is released from the hospital? If he did in fact try to off himself, why would the hospital not keep him there for mental tests and observations?? And where did this "rumor" start? ESPN

I'm starting to second guess everything I've been reading and watching on ESPN. They're supposed to be the leader in sports! If that's the case, then get your story straight instead of making stuff up!!!

They haven't been real accurate reporting injuries either. I believe they reported Westbrook's injury being bone on bone and then reporting Caddy having a hernieated disc.

ESPN radio is a waste of time.

Mike & Mike (so predictable, one guy picks on the other for being fat and one picks on the other for being feminine, they take different sides of most issues)

Colin Cowherd....he is a terd, talks out of both sides of his mouth and has a huge West Coast bias to his opinions

Patrick...horrible, only think worse is Keith Oberland who tries to get a hit on Prez Bush every segment....I'm listening for sports. And both talk down to the listeners.

:D Hate ESPN Radio

Colin Cowherd is the best IMO. I agree with your assesment on the others though.

Totally agree. It's the best local sports show in Chicago.

Don't you love Harry saying, "Hi, what's growin' on?" :D

North is a fool but makes sense once in a while. Mike Murphy is the biggest joke on radio. Anybody who has heard him knows I need to explain no further. Mike Murphy=a$$ clown

You're right. I think the Score jumped the shark and went down the tubes years ago. I rarely listen any more. The decision to split up Terry Boers and Dan McNeil should go down as one of the biggest blunders in Chicago radio. :D

North is listenable for about 15 minutes, at any point in time. I find Murph entertaining and somewhat informative, and appreciate his Tribune bashing, identifying the principle reason the Cubs can't win, other than because they're still the CUBS!!! But I agree Mac, Jurko and Harry is the premier sports talker here in Chicago.

And if you don't like Murph, go listen to Orion Samuelson give you the farm report over on WGN over the noon hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North is listenable for about 15 minutes, at any point in time. I find Murph entertaining and somewhat informative, and appreciate his Tribune bashing, identifying the principle reason the Cubs can't win, other than because they're still the CUBS!!! But I agree Mac, Jurko and Harry is the premier sports talker here in Chicago.

And if you don't like Murph, go listen to Orion Samuelson give you the farm report over on WGN over the noon hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murphy sucks a$$. He either can't finish a thought or asks the same questions 3 different ways before allowing an answer. I like his Cub bashing since I prefer the Sox but he truely is not qualified to be on the radio! Anybody ever heard Kevin Matthews? He can be funny at least sometimes but all the pauses, muttering, stuttering, stumbling, etc. reminds me of Murphy. I turn it off. Please do the same.

Its not just this incident, as I stated, "not because it invloves the Panthers", but a compilation of many things from the PS until now. The entire network/corparation has just become so self enamored with itself it's fuggin laughable and this snowball has been gaining size and speed for a few years now. ESPN is not part of any of the leagues, yet seem to assume some type of bravado about being so all the time. They say, "Mort is the best insider [/b]in the league"....ahhh Mort is not, in the league. Then again, it's a free country with freedom of speech etc., so some will continue to love'em and some will continue to be on the fence and some will just flat out despise the "new" atmosphere they exude-Peace PD.

I do believe when they say Mort is the best insider.... that refers to an outsider who gets the inside scoop....