[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bench Larry Johnson this week?

I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom... but I'm considering benching Larry Johnson this week since he is running against a very tough Chargers D. LJ hasn't exactly been tearing it up recently either.

But my alternative would be to start Maurice Jones-Drew @ HOU.

Am I insane? Do I bench the #1 drafted RB this year for an undrafted backup RB?!?!?

Someone talk me off of the ledge. :D

First things first, he shouldn't have been the #1 RB taken overall but hindsight is 20/20. LT looks like he went in undervalued and is the best RB/player in FantasyLand. Secondly many say you just can't bench your studs and it is true but another reason to play LJ is he will get all the looks and won't have to share like Jones-Drew will have to with Taylor. Another good vibe that I get is that Gore had 10 or 11 carries this week for 55 yds against them and they were getting pummeled he also had a decent amount receiving. The Chiefs will keep the game closer and therefore continue to feed LJ the ball, giving him his chances.

LJ is the smart, rational choice. If you feel that you're going to need a ridiculous amount of points to keep up with your opponent then role Jones-Drew out there and hope Taylor gets hurt and that he destroys the Texans.

The Chiefs will keep the game closer and therefore continue to feed LJ the ball, giving him his chances.

What makes you think that? They just got hammered by the Steelers and haven't been world-beaters save for one weekend steamrolling the Niners. Take away that game and the Chiefs are averaging 11.5 ppg and LJ has 250 yards rushing and a single TD on the season.

As long as the O-line continues to be swiss cheese and Huard continues to take snaps under center, Kansas City is going to have a hard time keeping pace with anyone in the league (even at home). I'm not saying I would play Jones-Drew over LJ this weekend, but I certainly wouldn't use any logic about the Chiefs keeping up with the Chargers as a reason TO PLAY him.

Thought this might be of use...

Maurice Drew has leg injury

The AP reports Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew spent the bye week rehabbing a leg injury and missed Monday's light workout. We'll keep an eye on this one. Fred Taylor's already-solid stock would skyrocket if Jones-Drew missed this game.

Not so sure benching Larry is a great idea. I would expect Gore like numbers 60-70 yds. on the ground and 20 yds. receiving. Not bad and I think it would be better than a Jones-Drew DNP.

The AP reports Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew spent the bye week rehabbing a leg injury and missed Monday's light workout. We'll keep an eye on this one. Fred Taylor's already-solid stock would skyrocket if Jones-Drew missed this game.

Not so sure benching Larry is a great idea. I would expect Gore like numbers 60-70 yds. on the ground and 20 yds. receiving. Not bad and I think it would be better than a Jones-Drew DNP.

Thanks for this scoop, i will definitely start Fred die this week vs Texans !!!

Yep... that's the clincher right there. Thanks for the info.! :D

What makes you think that? They just got hammered by the Steelers and haven't been world-beaters save for one weekend steamrolling the Niners. Take away that game and the Chiefs are averaging 11.5 ppg and LJ has 250 yards rushing and a single TD on the season.

As long as the O-line continues to be swiss cheese and Huard continues to take snaps under center, Kansas City is going to have a hard time keeping pace with anyone in the league (even at home). I'm not saying I would play Jones-Drew over LJ this weekend, but I certainly wouldn't use any logic about the Chiefs keeping up with the Chargers as a reason TO PLAY him.

Yes..but we can't take away that week can we? Take away all of the weeks and no one has any production!

I would use the logic of the Chiefs keeping up with the Chargers as a reason. If they keep up, LJ should have a good game...if not, he still might.

I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom... but I'm considering benching Larry Johnson this week since he is running against a very tough Chargers D. LJ hasn't exactly been tearing it up recently either.

But my alternative would be to start Maurice Jones-Drew @ HOU.

Am I insane? Do I bench the #1 drafted RB this year for an undrafted backup RB?!?!?

Someone talk me off of the ledge. :D

Fricken Newbie :D

Yes..but we can't take away that week can we? Take away all of the weeks and no one has any production!

I would use the logic of the Chiefs keeping up with the Chargers as a reason. If they keep up, LJ should have a good game...if not, he still might.

If it's an outlier, I think you should certainly CONSIDER looking at the stats both with and without the aberration. So far this season, LJ's one good game is the aberration. Again, I'm not saying this guy should bench him, but it's obvious that in MOST games the combination of the O-line and playing catchup have cut into Larry's numbers. Playing the best team in the AFC, I find it hard to believe the Chiefs are magically going to become competitive when they haven't been able to through the first 6 weeks of the season. Any Given Sunday, sure, but the prevailing TREND is that KC won't keep up.

We are quick to throw out Hank Baskett as an aberration and ignore his ONE GOOD GAME, so why can't we do the same with a fantasy stud like Larry Johnson?

Ride LJ through this rough spot. He's still a horse for the Chiefs, and unless he gets hurt at some point, I would not bench him. Even when his yardage is low, he usually chips in a TD or two... can't be too displeased about that. Last week was brutal, but I don't see them doing that again at home.

Take away that niners game and he still has 489 total yards and 2 TDs in the other 4 games (631 and 4 TDs total), not to mention 160 + yards against a tough Denver DEF in Denver. LJ has averaged 15.75 fantasy points per game for me with the exception of that niners game. I will stick with LJ and beleive he will continue to post solid numbers.

I think folks are misunderstanding my sentiment. All I am saying is that expecting LJ to suddenly go nuts and bust out a REAL "Larry Johnson #1 overall fantasy football draft pick" game against the Chargers is a little lofty given the season so far. When you drafted him, you did not expect nor would have been pleased with all of 4 TD's TOTAL this year through 5 games played. Not when he was likely a #1 or #2 pick for your team and is being outplayed by definitely four and as many as a 8 guys in most fantasy leagues.

Me personally, I am in the same boat with Ronnie Brown after drafting him 5th overall in my league. I expected better stats out of him when I passed on Portis, Rudi, SJax, and Westbrook to get him. That doesn't mean I am benching him anytime soon, just that I expected more than 70 rushing yards per game and 4 TD's total (half of which also came in one game).

Unless you have another stud back you can start and maybe a flex player in your lineup, I'd probably bench him. The Chargers D is awesome at stopping the run! They have some big monsters up front! Ever since Willie Roaf retired, KC's line has not been that great.

Plus, after Pittsburgh's less-than-stellar offense rolled up 45 points on them on Sunday, I'd say the Chargers are going to keep the Chiefs' defense on the field for a while. Schottenheimer loves to burn up that clock on the ground.

KC won't get many opportunities to score. They will have to come at them quick. The ground game won't be something they will start off with.

Well, now LJ has not scored below 15 points in a week, with the exception of the Steelers game, who mind you, held LT to 70 total yards at San Diego. Also, LJ is 3rd in RB scoring in my league, 1 point behind Westbrook and 9 points behind LT. That, my friends, is what a top 3 back is supposed to do. So is LJ worth a top 3 pick? At this point in the season, it seems so.