[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Viva la ocho cinco!

The Misfit

Throughout the season, Chad Johnson has been largely quiet off the field.

And, to his three-time Pro Bowl standards, quiet on the field.

But the Bengals wide receiver broke out verbally today, implying that when he talks he plays better and, thus, so does the team. Johnson is coming out of his shell just in time to play against buddy DeAngelo Hall, Atlanta’s Pro Bowl cornerback and a regular Johnson phone pal.

“Coach (Marvin) Lewis has told me to tone it. He’s told me to be quiet. I’ve been quiet all year. I haven’t said much. I’m back. I’m back. I’m going to let it rip,” Johnson said.

“My name isn’t Chad no more. We’re celebrating Spanish heritage month in October in the NFL; Ocho cinco from now on. Anybody that writes about whatever I say today, you call me Ocho cinco.

“Do not say Chad. You’re going to get a pay cut. I’m not playing. Questions?

DeAngelo Fall. Do not say Hall or I’m going to stop the interview.”

Early on during the at-locker interview, Johnson turned around and made a mark on his list of opposing cornerbacks.

“DeAngelo Falls. I’m checking no already.”

Johnson has 30 receptions in six games, just one for a touchdown.

“Eighty-five is back. It’s going down this Sunday,” Johnson said. “I’m celebrating. I’m going to score. I’m going to score more than once. I’m going to celebrate.”

Then Johnson looked toward his teammate T.J. Houshmandzadeh, whose cubicle is beside his.

“TJ, you want to get fined this week?” Johnson asked. “I’m going to pay it. TJ, I’m back. Look, I’m going to celebrate. I’m tired of being quiet.

“I ain’t had no motivation. I ain’t had no energy. I ain’t had no drive. Nothing to look forward to on Sunday. I don’t care if they put five people on me. I’m going to get it done this week. It’s going down.”

+++

Told that Johnson felt like he was in an emotional slump, Lewis burst out laughing before saying, "Sounds like an excuse.

"I've failed at the medicine degree so maybe I can go for the other doctoral fields and try to figure him out."

Told it would be a full-time job, Lewis laughed and said, "I'd have to quit this one."

Wide receiver T.J.. Houshmandzadeh just shook his head.

"Marvin told him to be quiet? Marvin's been telling him to be quiet," Houshmandzadeh said. "Why would he listen now? He was just quiet because he wanted to be quiet. He wanted to go against that guy hoping to get man-to-man coverage."

That guy, of course, is Hall, the man Johnson says is the NFL's best cornerback. They have been trash talking since the Pro Bowl, but in his conference call with the Cincinnati media Wednesday, Hall played it straight.

"Great one-liners," said Hall, who said how much he admired Johnson's work ethic.

As for playing one-on-one, Hall said, "Whatever it takes" for the Falcons to win.

"T.J. I think is the best No. 2 receiver in the league. I think if he goes anywhere else he's the No. 1 guy," Hall said. "He can make just as many plays as Chad makes. Chad just has the great one-liners. T.J. goes out and puts on that work hat every day."

Wide receiver Chris Henry returned to the practice field Wednesday for the first time since his two-week suspension, but Lewis said a decison to play him wouldn't come until Sunday. The Bengals have a roster exemption this week, but would have to make room on the roster for him if he's going to play.

From the Enquirer and bengals.com

CJ just wants too badly to be regarded as "the man". Mr. Unstoppable, etc. etc. He still talks alot bigger game than he performs. He wants desperately to be looked at like S. Smith. Smith for example, doesn't have to say he's unguardable...you can look at him and see it in his demeanor that he knows he's one bad M'fer and no one is going to guard him. He exudes confidence. CJ looks like he's always begging for attention and recognition. He is a good WR, that sometimes is very good. But, he's no Moss (pre-OAK), Smith (now), Holt, or even Harrison for that matter. He has to show up more often for scoring TDs than running his mouth or getting "jacked up". I like him, but only as long as he backs up the talk.

Edited by Hitman

I guess I'll take the minority opinion here and say I think 85 is hilarious. Will he play better in the near future? I have no clue, but he is funny and good for the league. He isn't one of those me guys who yell at their coaches and teammates like TO, Shockey, Moss, and Plax, he just seems to enjoy the game. I like him a lot and think he is very funny and plays to win. I am a fan of his big time.

I guess I'll take the minority opinion here and say I think 85 is hilarious. Will he play better in the near future? I have no clue, but he is funny and good for the league. He isn't one of those me guys who yell at their coaches and teammates like TO, Shockey, Moss, and Plax, he just seems to enjoy the game. I like him a lot and think he is very funny and plays to win. I am a fan of his big time.

+1

I agree but if he doesn't start producing on the field he is just going to be another average WR with a hugh ego. If you can back it up then you can talk. If not, shut your mouth until you do something.

I agree but if he doesn't start producing on the field he is just going to be another average WR with a hugh ego. If you can back it up then you can talk. If not, shut your mouth until you do something.

Well I agree in this way. If he doesn't start producing he looks like an idiot for running his mouth and being an at best average performer. Where I disagree is he'll look like another WR with a hugh ego. I just don't take 85 like that. Maybe that is my bad but I don't see him like TO or Plax. He doesn't call out teammates or yell at coaches. He plays hard and plays to win. So yes he'd look stupid if he doesn't step it up, because if you talk a lot and play poorly it looks bad, but I don't think I'll ever look at him in a bad light unless he changes the way he acts now which is harmless not hurting anyone fun.

+85

Some of you guys are acting like he hasn't done anything in his career? Hes been a top WR the last 3 or 4 years,yea hes having a not so good year this year,but so is TO,marvin harrison isn't even having a fantastic year either.That doesn't mean they aren't great receivers.

I love Ocho Cinco's Antics and i hope he burns D hall this week so we get to hear more of it.

I think he's hilarious too. If he'd have thought of the tour de france uniform for stationary bike work, people would've thought it was genius. He's just a special form of player who isn't afraid to put his foot in his mouth.

He hasn't been a fantasy stud this year, but he's made TJ the stud and that should be applauded. His sideline work is perfect. His routes are text book. He's a stud and helps his team whether he does jack squat or not.

Actually, it isn't. He just hasn't said anything recently.

Actually, it is. :D He's been very quiet and even in his weekly Sirius NFL radio spot, he's been barely a good interview.

His confidence seems shaken. Also, it seems as though Coach Lewis has his grasp on his players to be focused on the Superbowl and nothing else. No jaw jacking, and no nonsense. Chad was the same way last year right before the season started, and then started running his mouth after he started producing like a maniac.

chad is not the type to be the #2 simply because the #2 is putting up #1 type numbers. So i think this recent outburst has alot to do with a shaken confidence level, as well as he knows Hall is his friend and won't lay him out ala Cleveland style :bash:

I'm still pissed off about that 32 yard bomb on that 4th and 1 against the Panthers :D Stupid CJ.