[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your League's Schedule

Ralph Furley

Are there any league's out there that play double headers every week? A buddy of mine and I were talking and it would seem to make a lot of sense. I think it would give the better teams a chance to prove that they are actually better. For example, it always sucks when you are the second highest scorer in the league that week, but you just happened to play the highest scoring team. Just wondering what anyone thought, and if you see any pros/cons in the idea. Thanks.

I personally don't play in this structure, but I've heard of it many times. It certainly does help even out tough losses for high scoring teams, but it removes a lot of the rivalry created by head to head leagues. Playing double headers every week is just an attempt to compromise between h2h leagues and cumulative scoring leagues.

In my league, I am, year in and year out, either the top scorer or the second highest scorer, but consistently sport the highest points against. Eventually I expect it to even out (it is this year somewhat), but given my track record, I like that the double header structure would let me rise to where my point totals say I deserve to be. That being said, I would NOT want to change the league because I feel it waters down the competition. I like taking on one opponent per week, and if I take a tough loss, well, so it goes. That's the fun of it.

If I was playing in a big money league, I would prefer a structure that stayed truer to point totals, but in friendlier leagues (mine for example is comprised of extended family members and in-laws with a buy-in of $125) the h2h structure is much more enjoyable. You stay competitive for bragging rights and some extra change at the end of the season. Having double headers every week would remove a lot of the bragging and smack talking that we all love so well.

Edited by LosGatosEnFuegos

Also, if any of you that do use the double header each week, how does that work with your playoff structure? Just brainstorming.

We play doubleheaders in each of my three leagues.

Love it.

As far as playoffs, when they start, you go to a single opponent, single elimination traditional format.

We play doubleheaders in each of my three leagues.

Love it.

As far as playoffs, when they start, you go to a single opponent, single elimination traditional format.

+1

It takes SOME of the luck factor away, for the reason noted - the 2nd highest score is guaranteed at least a split. ALso luck tends to even out over time and double headers makes that happen faster. The cream rises to the top. Most sites will accomodate double-headers.

Edited by STL Fan

Thanks for the replies! Anyone else have any thoughts?

In the 12-team, 3 division, 13 week regular season format we play, there is always one team outside your division that teams do not play. Each team plays 2 games against in-division teams.

I have argued for one doubleheader week, thus allowing 14 regular season games to be played but more importantly, zero games not played against any one opponent.

The arguments made in here are vaild in that when you're the #2 offense and happen to draw the team scoring the most points that week, it sucks. In a douoble header, you'd at least walk away with a win.

Where the league shoots down the double header is here: what happens if you happen to have one bad week and it's during your doubleheader? You get two losses for the price of one. For the majority, that's more than they want to bear, so it gets nixed every year.

I like the doubleheader and will continue to push for one per season.

Our 14 team league with two 7 team divisions plays divisional doubleheaders on non-bye weeks and non-divisional single games on bye weeks with a couple of exceptions so that we can play each divisional opponent twice and every team in the other division once except for 1 team. We didn't make the adjustment for the shortened bye period this year (week 9 is the last bye week this year, not week 10 as in previous years), so we end up with an 18 game schedule.

That way, the bye week impact on divisional games is minimized, and we get 3 weeks of divisional doubleheaders at the end of the schedule - which is a great way to finish the regular season. Standings can change quickly for teams that have improved themselves over the course of the season.

The league seems to love it (except HoP, of course, whose team usually gets progessively weaker as the season goes on).

Edited by Bronco Billy

In the 12-team, 3 division, 13 week regular season format we play, there is always one team outside your division that teams do not play. Each team plays 2 games against in-division teams.

I have argued for one doubleheader week, thus allowing 14 regular season games to be played but more importantly, zero games not played against any one opponent.

This is the exact format we use in my local. This way you play all non divisional foes once. Just one doubleheader is fun, but we schedule it early in the season so if you have a bad week that week, there is still time to recover.

When we switched our superbowl in our main local from week 17 to week 16 we included 1 doubleheader the first week after bye weeks are done just to keep our schedule of each team playing their division twice and outside division once.

Thanks for the replies! Anyone else have any thoughts?

Ralph,

We've been doing this in the local I commish for three years now. Everyone seems to like it. We just recently reduced to 10 teams and have been just a single division for the last 7 or so years. Prior to this year I had to make up the schedule manually before the draft. Now MFL offers many options for double-headers in it's preconfigured schedules. We do 13 weeks, 5 double headers. 18 game schedule. Everyone twice. Playoffs are single game, single elimination.

Edited by georgemoe

We are a 12 team 2 division league.

We play single games all the way through the bye weeks. After the Bye weeks the Double Headers start. This has us play 1 game against the other division and 2 games against everyone in our division. We don't start the double headers until after the bye weeks so that are teams are at full strength when you have to play two games. You don't want your top 2 players out when your playing a double header, that could really make it rough.

If you really wanted to seperate the best from the worst you could do a play all each week format. I haven't played that way in a few years but I liked it and it really did push the best teams to the top. You go 11-0 in a great week or maybe 6-5 in a so-so week but a really bad week would be 2-9 or 0-11.

The arguments made in here are vaild in that when you're the #2 offense and happen to draw the team scoring the most points that week, it sucks. In a douoble header, you'd at least walk away with a win.

Where the league shoots down the double header is here: what happens if you happen to have one bad week and it's during your doubleheader? You get two losses for the price of one. For the majority, that's more than they want to bear, so it gets nixed every year.

We use the 12 team 3 division format and have 1 double header Week 13. This works great because every team knows they can catch up a bit in Week 13. Sure, if you have a bad week in Week 13 its bad but you can plan your season to make trades, etc. so you have favorable matchups in Week 13.

And since its crucial for the playoffs, it adds a certain element of excitement. Think about it. You have a two game lead with 1 week left but a doubleheader. Your division rival is 2 games back. If you lay an egg and he wins two straight you could be in trouble (depending on the tie breaker). Or he could be one game back and you have the tiebreak, etc.

Our league also awards the 6th playoff spot to the team with the most points that didnt get in the first 5 spots. And the point total winner gets 20% of the pot (which is cool, because if you win the championship and get the point total you win 70% of the pot.

We believe that takes the luck factor out of the equation as its unlikely that the best teams arent fighting head to head at the end and the best team will always win some money regardless of the luck factor of weeks 15 and 16.

Bingo. I usually put together nice teams, and usually have in the top 3 highest points when it's all said and done, but when I bomb, I BOMB. I can barely handle 1 loss a week, much less 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, if any of you that do use the double header each week, how does that work with your playoff structure? Just brainstorming.

same as above in playoffs its single matchup

One thing i want to add. we decided to have a schedule where each team gets to play each other 2 times. so it resulted in some weeks being double while some were single. and after going threw a whole season like that its better for all the weeks to be single or double.

my biggest problem with it is that some weeks its a single game and others its a double header. and the avg. weekly player production is not reflected accurately in the win and loss column. for example when you have a player get you 4 TDs and 200 rushing/receiving yards you have to be lucky and hope this is during a double heard, so you get 2 wins. but when he produces the same game on a single header you really get half his production in the win and loss column.

I'm very seriously thinking about doing this in the league I commish for next season also. I commish a baseball league (16 team) that we play 7 H2H games a week or 154 game schedule and it's awesome! It completely eliminates the "luck factor" and everyone in the league loves it.

Most people in 12 teams leagues seem to have the same 3 division format, but our league changed a couple years back to avoid the problems that format brought up since the regular season is an unmanageable 13 weeks (blech). Here's how our 12 team is layed out:

2 conferences, each broken down into 2 divisions of 3 teams each. You play each team in your division twice and each team outside your division once. Playoff spots go to the winners of each division, with one bye per conference. Then there is one wild card per conference, won by the next best team in the conference. This schedule parallels the NFL schedules a little better by having 2 divisional games and making a team's likelihood of reaching the playoffs more dependant on the strength of their division and schedule.

I like this as an alternative to playing doubleheaders. Once again, it has the effect of encouraging rivalries rather than necessarily allowing the cream to rise to the top. This year is pretty lopsided. In my conference, 5 out of 6 teams are above .500. My division has a team at 7-2 in first, me at 6-2-1 in second, and someone at 5-4 in third. In the other conference, if the season were to end today, the wild card would go to a 4-5 team as only the division leaders are above .500. Just an alternative you can consider.

We do a week 11 doubleheader in my 12 team/3 div league to ensure that everybody plays everyone in their division twice, and everybody outside their division once.

We picked week 11 a couple years ago to make sure we had full rosters for the doubleheader (no byes). One nice thing about it, too, is that it provides a make or break week for a lot of teams, which is another reason to do it late in the season rather than earlier.

The thing I've always liked most about football from the FL perspective, vis-a-vis other sports, is that the head to head competition works out so well. The games are played out for the most part and in most weeks all at once (Yes yes MNF, Saturday games and the odd Thursday, I know but for the most part...) and you have a specific foe to top that one game. I know all about scoring big for a season and not winning it all-once went 3 years in a row in a small-money league as top scorer with a 0-1 playoff record to show for putting up lots of 2nd best for the week scores. But it's the beauty of "my team vs. your team, this Sunday on a TV near you (or in the stands if yer at the game)" that works so well that I like most. So that's my personal opinion.

All that being said, if the decision is made to play DH'ers, it should be every week, not part-time or once a season if the goal is to reduce statistical anomalies. Gotta count all the random samples equally :D