[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders fans

Skilly

Didn't they learn anything from last year about waiting around to the last second to hire somebody? Is Davis seriously considering keeping Shell on for another year? :D

BTW, I have the upmost respect for Art Shell and what he accomplished as a player in the NFL, but I don't think that being a head coach is his forte. That organization needs a fresh start......again.

Of all of the teams in the NFL, Oakland clearly has the most problems right now. As the regular season came to an end, I thought for sure that Shell would be the first one to go. Its almost scary that he hasn't been let go yet... that's like saying, "We want more of the same next season."

The Defense improved to one of the best in the league, so he DID accomplish something in one year. Once he gets the dead weight off, let's see if he can imprve the Offense... can't go any lower than 32.

One year is hardly anythign to evaluate a coach, I bet Al gives him at least 1 more year which is fair.

As bad a coach as I truly think Shell is, I do have to agree that one year isn't really a good measure of anything. The defense played pretty well most games (take it from a guy who bet against them almost every week of the season - the covered a lot more spreads due to the defense than you'd have expected).

They had nothing at QB - some other teams can say similar stories (Tampa, Cleveland..), but nothing like Oakland who got to choose between backward throwing Aaron Brooks and just plain terrible Andrew Walters. At WR, had one malcontent and Randy Moss...essentially as soon as the season started, had your two best weapons with their heads not in the game. And their top RB got hurt (although he didn't do anything beforehand).

None of this is to say they really have any hope for next year, but I do think you gotta give Shell the opportunity unless there was already an agreement ahead of time of "coach this year while you suck then I'm bringing in this young guy to hopefully build a bit"

Well Adam Schefter reported they would fire him at season's end and Davis shot back that Schefter was just starting rumors. You never know how far Davis will go.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

I can imagine Al sitting there, ready to pull the trigger and fire Shell, then hears the Schefter report and decides that he'll show Schefter who runs things in raida land.

As bad a coach as I truly think Shell is, I do have to agree that one year isn't really a good measure of anything. The defense played pretty well most games (take it from a guy who bet against them almost every week of the season - the covered a lot more spreads due to the defense than you'd have expected).

They had nothing at QB - some other teams can say similar stories (Tampa, Cleveland..), but nothing like Oakland who got to choose between backward throwing Aaron Brooks and just plain terrible Andrew Walters. At WR, had one malcontent and Randy Moss...essentially as soon as the season started, had your two best weapons with their heads not in the game. And their top RB got hurt (although he didn't do anything beforehand).

None of this is to say they really have any hope for next year, but I do think you gotta give Shell the opportunity unless there was already an agreement ahead of time of "coach this year while you suck then I'm bringing in this young guy to hopefully build a bit"

I agree 99%, I just don't think Shell is that bad a coach. Horrible season? Yes, of course. But there WAS vast improvment on one side of the team (NOT the side with the trouble makers and busts). Give him another year, see if he can improve the other side of the ball. If we had a halfway decent QB behind a decent O-Line, we would have won a few more with that Defense NOT having to be on the field after a game full of 3 and outs.

This was some of the worst football I have ever seen in my life!!! I swear I would have rather scraped dog crap off of my shoes then watch what the Raiders were putting out this season! It is downright embarrasing and downright disgusting! In Art's defense I believe the problems went well beyond his controll this season...he is an ok coach...Do I think he should be retained...hell no! If we put out the same kind of crappy product at our jobs as Shell did with his we would of all been canned a long time ago!!! The Raiders need to get some kind of young whippersnapper (did I just say that :D ) in there...ie...like a Gruden Or a Madden in his time. And Please Raiders draft a quarterback!!! I knew we made a mistake not taking Lienart and then Cutler! Brooks sux, Walter isn't the answer! Draft a QB, then use the rest of your picks to build a decent O line! Again...what a joke!!!

! I knew we made a mistake not taking Lienart and then Cutler! Brooks sux, Walter isn't the answer! Draft a QB, then use the rest of your picks to build a decent O line! Again...what a joke!!!

How has Leinart been a better pick than Huff? Oakland Defesne was the Silver lining on the season. And when you have 2 different style QBs getting sacked as often as our line allowed, what good do you think he would have done back there? Until we rebuild that line, any rookie QB back there most likely will end up like Couch or Carr.

I keep thinking that if they get a top left tackle, and move Gallery inside to guard, that may help things tremendously. I think it would be a mistake to grab another QB just yet until they completely fix that oline.

Anyone who gives Shell a pass is making a mistake. Part of the blame has to fall on his shoulders. If he was such a great o-lineman, then how come the worst part of the entire team was the oline?

Oh, and by the way, he was a head coach before and did nothing then as well.

Anyone who gives Shell a pass is making a mistake. Part of the blame has to fall on his shoulders. If he was such a great o-lineman, then how come the worst part of the entire team was the oline?

I agree, to a point, since they also had Jackie Slater coachign that line. How can it be so bad with those two over seeing it? But I give them another year to do it their way and try. One year isn't enough.

Oh, and by the way, he was a head coach before and did nothing then as well.

So long as coaching them to an AFC Championship game and having 54-38 record in his first stint doesn't count, you're right.

How has Leinart been a better pick than Huff? Oakland Defesne was the Silver lining on the season. And when you have 2 different style QBs getting sacked as often as our line allowed, what good do you think he would have done back there? Until we rebuild that line, any rookie QB back there most likely will end up like Couch or Carr.

You have a point but Huff did have an up and down season. Also Lienart or Cutler with one year under their belts even with our bad offensive line would of been a hell of a lot better then a Brooks or a Walter!

You have a point but Huff did have an up and down season. Also Lienart or Cutler with one year under their belts even with our bad offensive line would of been a hell of a lot better then a Brooks or a Walter!

Don't get me wrong, I heard that QB from LSU looks great, but until we rebuild that line I don't think ANY QB will succeed back there. And sure, another year under Cutler and Lienarts belt will help them... but same with Huff. Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

Right, since Davis had the team in the Superbowl 4 long years ago, the whole game has swept him by. :D

That was Chuckies team on the field and the last time a coach was able to actually coach as a Raider. Davis steps aside the Dars come back sooner is all.He ruined that team with the cap issues he saddled them with. He hasn't had a decent draft pick(and he has had quite a few good spots to pick from) since Chuckie left. His FA pickups have been substandard at best since then too. Should I go on?

That was Chuckies team on the field and the last time a coach was able to actually coach as a Raider. Davis steps aside the Dars come back sooner is all.He ruined that team with the cap issues he saddled them with. He hasn't had a decent draft pick(and he has had quite a few good spots to pick from) since Chuckie left. His FA pickups have been substandard at best since then too. Should I go on?

True, Gruden butted head swith him and didn't listen to him often, but it was STILL a Davis run team. Gruden didin't make ALL of the decisions and that's why he butted heads with him. Raiders are an easy target, if they win it has nothign to do with Al, but if they lose it has EVERYTHING to do with him. I can accept that though, it comes witht he field!

Cap issues didn't ruin the team, they just self destructed after that Superbowl loss. All the same players were still on that team after that loss, and if anything they tossed more dough around to some misguided FA pickups like Moss and Sapp. As for decent draft picks, I don't think they have any busts outside of Gallery since Gruden left... well, sides Buchannon I guess. He was a HUGH bust.