[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

typical

H8tank

SACRAMENTO - The state Legislature is about to weigh in on a question that stirs impassioned debate among moms and dads: Should parents spank their children?

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, wants to outlaw spanking children up to 3 years old. If she succeeds, California would become the first state in the nation to explicitly ban parents from smacking their kids

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews....htm?source=rss

Its nonsense ....spanking helped create a lot better , responsible ,morally upright people than some phsyco babble ever did or could

And it always will come back to the motive ...did you spank so your child fully understood that they knowingly did something wrong and now know that they should not do it again ( and in most cases probably won't because they got spanked )

I see nothing wrong with it if you are doing it as a loving parent to deter your children from bad and wrong behavior

Do you really spank kids under 3?

I see the need for spanking in some circumstances... but really? Under 3? Don't you have better ways to deal with kids at that age?

Either way, the state shouldn't be legislating it unless the kid is being abused.

A lady that helps me here at the office had 12 children. They all grew up to be responsible adults without drug problems or trying to kill themselves or others. Her favorite line is kids these days need a good pop on the behind.

I didn't do a lot of things growing up because I knew my father give me a good wack on the ass.

With all these responses, it's little wonder people like Bush can get elected and re-elected preaching a campaign of fear. Unbelievable. Rule with fear. Good job parents.

Look, I have a 2 year old and it's an unbelievably hard age to try to discipline and I have a long ways to go in improving my patience and parenting skills. But smacking your kid is just plain wrong and does way more harm than good.

With all these responses, it's little wonder people like Bush can get elected and re-elected preaching a campaign of fear. Unbelievable. Rule with fear. Good job parents.

Look, I have a 2 year old and it's an unbelievably hard age to try to discipline and I have a long ways to go in improving my patience and parenting skills. But smacking your kid is just plain wrong and does way more harm than good.

Agree to disagree?

I don't think anyone is advocating senseless and ruthless beatings of kids. But I can look back at the times I can actually remember getting spanked and I deserved every one of em. Did it do harm to me? Yeah, my ass hurt for the 10 seconds afterwards but the discipline was necessary. Could they have used a different method of punishment? Sure, they punished me other ways all the time. The creativity of the punishment can also make a difference. Once when I was 5 my parents made my bro and I go to our rooms and wait for our spankings. Parents came in after 10 minutes and we were bawling our eyes out with fear of the spanking because it was hyped up so much. They didn't actually spank us that time, but we surely deserved it for chipping paint off my mom's new car with a screw driver.

Agree to disagree?

I don't think anyone is advocating senseless and ruthless beatings of kids. But I can look back at the times I can actually remember getting spanked and I deserved every one of em. Did it do harm to me? Yeah, my ass hurt for the 10 seconds afterwards but the discipline was necessary. Could they have used a different method of punishment? Sure, they punished me other ways all the time. The creativity of the punishment can also make a difference. Once when I was 5 my parents made my bro and I go to our rooms and wait for our spankings. Parents came in after 10 minutes and we were bawling our eyes out with fear of the spanking because it was hyped up so much. They didn't actually spank us that time, but we surely deserved it for chipping paint off my mom's new car with a screw driver.

Chipping paint off the car with a screw driver? I take it back. You should have gotten whipped for that. :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

But you were 5, and you had a better grasp of consequences. This law is about kids under 3.

Again... don't think it should be legislated, but I find it hard to believe spanking is effective on 1 and 2 year olds.

Agreed. Let the government encroach in to your personal lives more and more and suddenly, you are wondering where your rights went at all? Abuse is one thing, a swift smack on the buttock, while not something I'll do until after the 3rd birthday, doesn't warrant the state legislature's time, in my opinion.

I find this odd, because criminalization isn't nearly as bad as the current consequences.

If someone reports you to authorities for hitting your child under 3, I don't think there is a Childrens Services group in the country that wouldn't intervene. And you can get your kid taken away, sometimes for a little while while you go through parental education classes, but it can go up to a permanent removal. And, unlike a criminal charge, you have no right to a jury trial, just a judge, and usually a judge who relies heavily on recommendations from Childrens Services if he wants to be re-elected. And Childrens Services is usally staffed by fresh college-graduate childless females who, because they are 22 and have a degree in social work, know exactly the proper way you should raise your child.

This isn't the government starting to encroach in how you raise your child -- the state is already there, and has been for some time, no matter how you feel about it.

Do you really spank kids under 3?

I see the need for spanking in some circumstances... but really? Under 3? Don't you have better ways to deal with kids at that age?

Either way, the state shouldn't be legislating it unless the kid is being abused.

My wife and I haven't spanked under age 3, but the ones older than that have gotten it a few times. The hard part is doing it calmly and not in anger, as the expected result of certain behaviors that were well explained in advance. Not in a 'I just snapped' situation. Admittedly, I'm not perfect in this, either.

Parental anger management is the real issue, I think, and it can never be legislated.....

I find this odd, because criminalization isn't nearly as bad as the current consequences.

If someone reports you to authorities for hitting your child under 3, I don't think there is a Childrens Services group in the country that wouldn't intervene. And you can get your kid taken away, sometimes for a little while while you go through parental education classes, but it can go up to a permanent removal. And, unlike a criminal charge, you have no right to a jury trial, just a judge, and usually a judge who relies heavily on recommendations from Childrens Services if he wants to be re-elected. And Childrens Services is usally staffed by fresh college-graduate childless females who, because they are 22 and have a degree in social work, know exactly the proper way you should raise your child.

This isn't the government starting to encroach in how you raise your child -- the state is already there, and has been for some time, no matter how you feel about it.

I concur. But apparently shooting an infant with a BB gun does seem to be the approach of one. I agree that a swat on the bottom to a 3 year old might be inaapropriate unless the child knows what the swat is for. But for older kids (4-9 maybe) a good swat can be a remarkably good teaching tool. Keep the goberment out of my life. When they can balance a budget/win a war/etc I MIGHT start thinking it can help me in my family life.

word ....

I used to think the CPS was this all mighty monolith when it comes to scooping up abused children and separating them from their parents, etc....they ain't, at least not in Arizona. The chick I'm dating is a forensic psychologist (Dr.) and she deals with CPS cases quite a bit. She said in most cases, CPS isn't looking to separate families, just make a sound decision. And quite often, those children are with the parents.

In my office, sometimes some of my staff don't do as I ask or create problems that they shouldn't do. I get particularly upset when someone calls in sick. I find a good, hard rap on the knuckles helps remind them to listen to what I say and do as they are told.

I think if more employers utilized the occasional (and warranted) spanking, you would see a better workforce and a booming economy.