[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Serious Question

tonyr0802

After a few days of hearing the Colts called "World Champions" :shamelessplugovernow: I have started questioning why is it we call the Super Bowl champs "World" champs? It's not as though we play any other countries, although we're starting to play IN other countries. Anyone else ever questioned this?

It's just one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmm :D

The NFL called the 1st "Super Bowl" the "AFL-NFL World Championship Game".

Rozelle wanted to have that World in there like baseball had "World Series".

I was watching something on the NFL Network where I think Lamar Hunt gave it the nickname the Super Bowl because the Super Ball was a popular toy at the time, and the commercials were on all the time. Also, the big college games were named bowl (Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc.).

Rozelle didn't really like the term "Super Bowl", he thought it sounded corny, but it stuck, so the word "World" was lost from the title (but not forgotten?).

Long story short, I'm not sure, I guess "World Champions" sounds more professional and official than "Super Bowl Champions", and the basic logic is you need to win the Super Bowl to become World Champions.

Edited by charty

Tim c is correct ...for rest of world , football is actually soccer for us and that in itself shows that rest of world has no interest in our football for most part

And that's fine, I'm all for keeping the games in the states and makin' the foreigners come to us. Still doesn't seem we should use the term "World" unless multiple countries are involved.

a better question may be, why are the World Series champs called "world champions"? And why is it the "World Series" when only MLB teams are eligible? The only true world series is little league.

The Little League World Series is a tournament for only those teams that are members of Little League. There are many other baseball associations out there in which many non Little League baseball teams participate.

So just as if the AFC were to split off from the NFC and each was to have their own super bowls you woudn't really call the winner of one or the other the true world champion, rather they would be the champion of their association. So the winner of the Little League World Series isn't really a world champion but is the champion of the Little League Association world wide.

Long story short, I'm not sure, I guess "World Champions" sounds more professional and official than "Super Bowl Champions", and the basic logic is you need to win the Super Bowl to become World Champions.

I wish they'd drop the "World Champions" tag and just stay with "Super Bowl." The Super Bowl definitely IS "America's Game" now.

Tim c is correct ...for rest of world , football is actually soccer for us and that in itself shows that rest of world has no interest in our football for most part

No interest? It was aired in over 170 countries. That tells me that there is some interest.

The NFL called the 1st "Super Bowl" the "AFL-NFL World Championship Game".

Rozelle wanted to have that World in there like baseball had "World Series".

I was watching something on the NFL Network where I thinkYes it was Lamar Hunt gave it the nickname the Super Bowl because the Super Ball was a popular toy at the timeand his kids were always playign with it. Also, the big college games were named bowl (Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc.).

Rozelle didn't really like the term "Super Bowl", he thought it sounded corny, but it stuck, so the word "World" was lost from the title (but not forgotten?).

Fixed

After a few days of hearing the Colts called "World Champions" :shamelessplugovernow: I have started questioning why is it we call the Super Bowl champs "World" champs? It's not as though we play any other countries, although we're starting to play IN other countries. Anyone else ever questioned this?

It's just one of those things that make you go hmmmmmmm :D

yes, I question it all the time.....and theres no perfect answer to the question either :D

I think all the sports do it. Certainly MLB, NFL and NBA do, not sure about NHL. Probably not NHL, thinking about it, because there are definitely teams that are equal or maybe better elsewhere.

The other three do it because there's little doubt that the champs of each are the best in the world. The fact that all three are of minor or no interest outside North America (except baseball in Latin America and Japan) is largely ignored.

The use of the term World Champions usually results in snickering in other countries, but so what?

I think all the sports do it. Certainly MLB, NFL and NBA do, not sure about NHL. Probably not NHL, thinking about it, because there are definitely teams that are equal or maybe better elsewhere.

The other three do it because there's little doubt that the champs of each are the best in the world. The fact that all three are of minor or no interest outside North America (except baseball in Latin America and Japan) is largely ignored.

The use of the term World Champions usually results in snickering in other countries, but so what?

The NBA stopped using "World Championships" in the 1980s, and just call them "The NBA Finals" now. And there is the International World Champiohnship tournament, in which the American team had not done too well lately.

The NBA stopped using "World Championships" in the 1980s, and just call them "The NBA Finals" now. And there is the International World Champiohnship tournament, in which the American team had not done too well lately.

That doesn't stop the TV and press guys bellowing about World Champs. Plus I've seen countless NBA players say World Champs instead of NBA Champs.

The Little League World Series is a tournament for only those teams that are members of Little League. There are many other baseball associations out there in which many non Little League baseball teams participate.

So just as if the AFC were to split off from the NFC and each was to have their own super bowls you woudn't really call the winner of one or the other the true world champion, rather they would be the champion of their association. So the winner of the Little League World Series isn't really a world champion but is the champion of the Little League Association world wide.

splitting hairs here. I realize that there are little league teams around the world that don't associate with Little League International. The birthplace of little league baseball is one of them, the "Original League". Their fields are about 5 miles from my house. I was just stating that the Little League World series has teams participiting from all around the world, not just the states.

And that's fine, I'm all for keeping the games in the states and makin' the foreigners come to us. Still doesn't seem we should use the term "World" unless multiple countries are involved.

There are 2 countries involved (2 being a multiple), there are 2 teams in Texas.

Edited by rbmcdonald