[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Perception

godtomsatan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? It could be my imagination (wouldn't be the first time) but hasn't D Jax, even with injury, been better than Moss over the past couple years and is a better overall WR any way?

Why not? It could be my imagination (wouldn't be the first time) but hasn't D Jax, even with injury, been better than Moss over the past couple years and is a better overall WR any way?

Last 2 seasons (including post-season):

Jackson: 23 games, 125 receptions, 1755 yards, 15 TD

R.Moss: 29 games, 102 receptions, 1558 yards, 11 TD

Jackson is 28, Moss is 29. Moss has had a horrible team situation the last two seasons in Oakland, Jackson has some bum knees.

Not sure if Jackson has game break WR status, but he's a solid WR and definitely been the #1 in Seattle for the last 5-6 seasons. Just don't see him as a #1 WR outside the system.

Last 2 seasons (including post-season):

Jackson: 23 games, 125 receptions, 1755 yards, 15 TD

R.Moss: 29 games, 102 receptions, 1558 yards, 11 TD

Jackson is 28, Moss is 29. Moss has had a horrible team situation the last two seasons in Oakland, Jackson has some bum knees.

Not sure if Jackson has game break WR status, but he's a solid WR and definitely been the #1 in Seattle for the last 5-6 seasons. Just don't see him as a #1 WR outside the system.

I think Jackson is a number 1 on most teams. the problem is his knees are getting worse by the season and it pretty much goes without saying that he won't play a full season for you if you do trade for him. I would give up a 3rd round pick if I had a already playoff type team but could use a upgrade at WR.other than that I would leave Jackson alone.

Moss I think just needs to leave Oakland to become the star he was before and is well worth a 3rd round pick. I think they may be able to get higher for him (say a 2nd) and very well might.

Thanks...i thought it was the rum........are they dealin DJ ??

Purely speculation in the blogosphere at this point, but with Deion Branch, an emerging D.J. Hackett, Nate Burleson, and some organizational love for 7th Round pick out of Auburn Ben Obomanu, theories are abounding that the Seahawks could use the cap room and an extra draft pick to address other needs.

Purely speculation in the blogosphere at this point, but with Deion Branch, an emerging D.J. Hackett, Nate Burleson, and some organizational love for 7th Round pick out of Auburn Ben Obomanu, theories are abounding that the Seahawks could use the cap room and an extra draft pick to address other needs.

... why don't the Seahawks just turn things around with Oakland? Take Moss aaaaannnd a 1st or 2nd round draft pick for Jackson? Or would you think Jackson isn't worth that much in comparison to Moss?

You can always create new knees, but you can't build a new heart. Jackson's at least got some heart.

I'd actually rather have Moss than DJax. I think Moss would thrive in Seattle with the balanced offense and the skills of Hasselbeck.

Nobody could convince me that DJax would be a great player in Oakland with that nightmare of an offense. Djax doesn't have the hands of Moss that's for sure. Randy is a definate headcase, but he's far too talented to be washed up. I do believe that Jackson's best seasons are behind him however.

... why don't the Seahawks just turn things around with Oakland? Take Moss aaaaannnd a 1st or 2nd round draft pick for Jackson? Or would you think Jackson isn't worth that much in comparison to Moss?

Why bother? The whole point is to trade WR depth for flexibility to address something else.

Why bother? The whole point is to trade WR depth for flexibility to address something else.

True, I think the Hawks are content with where they are and think that they can go on without Jackson. Likely add someone in te draft as well.

The Hawks can go on without Jackson!!?!?!? Throwing to who, Deion Branch@?@?!? Unreal. Darrell Jackson is one of the best ten WR's in the game when healthy. Not flashy enough to garner internet respect, but just gets it done. If the Pats can get a first rounder for Deion Branch, the Hawks should be able to get 3 first rounders for Darrell Jackson. He is that much better. Why does everybody think Darrell is leaving??? He just signed a six year deal like two years ago. He is our true #1 receiver, and the only guy who can consistently put up good numbers. Letting him go would be catastrophic to this offense. He could be a better locker room guy, but the on-field relationship between him and Hasselbeck is too precious to discard.

Edited by Seahawks21

The Hawks can go on without Jackson!!?!?!? Throwing to who, Deion Branch@?@?!? Unreal. Darrell Jackson is one of the best ten WR's in the game when healthy. Not flashy enough to garner internet respect, but just gets it done. If the Pats can get a first rounder for Deion Branch, the Hawks should be able to get 3 first rounders for Darrell Jackson. He is that much better. Why does everybody think Darrell is leaving??? He just signed a six year deal like two years ago. He is our true #1 receiver, and the only guy who can consistently put up good numbers. Letting him go would be catastrophic to this offense. He could be a better locker room guy, but the on-field relationship between him and Hasselbeck is too precious to discard.

I agree he is a excellent WR. but how many more games does he have in him?

Your Seahawks overpaid for Branch. that will not happen with Jackson(if the Seahawks were actually trying to trade him) because of his past injury problems.

:shaking head:

If you guys will just do a little research...

Seahawks re-sign Jackson to six-year, $25 million contract

By CLARE FARNSWORTH

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- In the end, Darrell Jackson ran a comeback route.

The Seahawks re-signed their leading receiver today, giving Jackson a six-year, $25 million contract that includes an $8 million signing bonus -- the second-largest in franchise history behind the $14 million bonus defensive end Grant Wistrom received last week, and the largest ever given to a Seahawks offensive player.

Link to Jackson signing article

Jackson's annual salaries:

2004 1000000.00

2005 1500000.00

2006 2500000.00

2007 3250000.00

2008 4000000.00

2009 4750000.00

Link to NFLPA Jackson page

So, the story coincides exactly with the Seattle resigning article.

That means Jackson's cap numbers for 2007-2009 are the numbers above plus $8M signing bonus/6 years = $1.33M/yr. So his cap numbers are:

2007 $4580000.00

2008 $5330000.00

2009 $6080000.00

In other words, he's starting to get too expensive for Seattle to keep given his production, especially given that WRs get limited opportunities for O touches. If SEA trades Jackson before June 1st, they save $4.58M of his cap hit, but have 4X$1.33M accelerate against this year's cap, which is $5.32M. So by trading Jackson SEA actually only takes on an additional $740,000 against this year's cap and doesn't have to take $4.58M, $5.33M and $6.08M cap hits in '07, '08 & '09.

The problem is getting the trading partner to accept Jackson's salary of $12M over the next 3 years, and I'm not sure Jackson has enough of a rep in the league to have a team take on that salary for him.

That leaves SEA with the ability to trade or cut him after June 1st, which means that his signing bonus acceleration would be 3X$1.33M = $4M vs his $4.58M cap hit in '07, which actually saves SEA $580,000 against the '07 cap and allows them out of Jackson's too expensive contract while giving them some cap flexibility.

Based upon what I'm seeing, what SEA has in its WR stable right now - especially with a guy like Hackett emerging, who is dirt cheap against the cap - and needs help elsewhere to viably compete for the NFC title (especially O-line), it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Jackson traded/cut, but probably not until after June 1st - unless they can get another team so desperate for Jackson's services that they take on his excessive salary.

Edited by Bronco Billy

By CLARE FARNSWORTH

The Seahawks re-signed their leading receiver today, giving Jackson a six-year, $25 million contract that includes an $8 million signing bonus -- the second-largest in franchise history behind the $14 million bonus defensive end Grant Wistrom received last week, and the largest ever given to a Seahawks offensive player.

2004 1000000.00

2005 1500000.00

2006 2500000.00

2007 3250000.00

2008 4000000.00

2009 4750000.00

That means Jackson's cap numbers for 2007-2009 are the numbers above plus $8M signing bonus/6 years = $1.33M/yr. So his cap numbers are:

2007 $4580000.00

2008 $5330000.00

2009 $6080000.00

In other words, he's starting to get too expensive for Seattle to keep given his production, especially given that WRs get limited opportunities for O touches. If SEA trades Jackson before June 1st, they save $4.58M of his cap hit, but have 4X$1.33M accelerate against this year's cap, which is $5.32M. So by trading Jackson SEA actually only takes on an additional $740,000 against this year's cap and doesn't have to take $4.58M, $5.33M and $6.08M cap hits in '07, '08 & '09.

The problem is getting the trading partner to accept Jackson's salary of $12M over the next 3 years, and I'm not sure Jackson has enough of a rep in the league to have a team take on that salary for him.

That leaves SEA with the ability to trade or cut him after June 1st, which means that his signing bonus acceleration would be 3X$1.33M = $4M vs his $4.58M cap hit in '07, which actually saves SEA $580,000 against the '07 cap and allows them out of Jackson's too expensive contract while giving them some cap flexibility.

Based upon what I'm seeing, what SEA has in its WR stable right now - especially with a guy like Hackett emerging, who is dirt cheap against the cap - and needs help elsewhere to viably compete for the NFC title (especially O-line), it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Jackson traded/cut, but probably not until after June 1st - unless they can get another team so desperate for Jackson's services that they take on his excessive salary.

Good post Billy.

After reading it my best guess would say he ends up getting cut.

Don't see anyone who will give him that kinda money when he is hurt so much.

You guys are crazy. Seattle has 3 #3 receivers, and Darrell is the only one that has the talent to be a #1. You guys are underestimating how important he is to this Seattle offense. If he played for a team that most people even recognize as being an NFL franchise, the perception of him around the league would be incredibly different. 3 years at 12M for him is somewhat of a steal, especially taking into his account his importance to the success of Matt Hasselbeck. The Seahawks have no cap issue, and there is ZERO chance he is cut this season. DJ Hackett is emerging as a guy that could be very dangerous #2, but is far from being well-rounded enough to be on the right side of this right-handed offense. Darrell Jackson is as good as there is at the slant route and the corner route against a cover-2, both of which are the most basic staples of the west coast offense. His importance and talent are being vastly underestimated in this thread.

Edited by Seahawks21

By CLARE FARNSWORTH

2004 1000000.00

2005 1500000.00

2006 2500000.00

2007 3250000.00

2008 4000000.00

2009 4750000.00

2007 $4580000.00

2008 $5330000.00

2009 $6080000.00

good post. very informative. i just don't know that seattle is all that set at wr where they can afford to let DJ go. guys like hackett may be good receivers but being the # 1 guy is not as easy as it may seem.

You guys are crazy. Seattle has 3 #3 receivers, and Darrell is the only one that has the talent to be a #1. You guys are underestimating how important he is to this Seattle offense. If he played for a team that most people even recognize as being an NFL franchise, the perception of him around the league would be incredibly different. 3 years at 12M for him is somewhat of a steal, especially taking into his account his importance to the success of Matt Hasselbeck. The Seahawks have no cap issue, and there is ZERO chance he is cut this season. DJ Hackett is emerging as a guy that could be very dangerous #2, but is far from being well-rounded enough to be on the right side of this right-handed offense. Darrell Jackson is as good as there is at the slant route and the corner route against a cover-2, both of which are the most basic staples of the west coast offense. His importance and talent are being vastly underestimated in this thread.

Yeah, that's some interesting speculation, but it blatantly omits 2 facts:

1) Jackson isn't worth $12M over 3 years. He's going to be overcompensated significantly in the coming 3 years. The NFL is still a business first & foremost.

2) SEA paid a #1 draft pick for Branch. When you see #1 or #2 picks traded for a player, the team trading the pick knows that they are obtaining what they consider a #1 player. NFL teams do not part with high draft picks lightly - certainly not like we FFers do - which adds to the misconception of FFers of "simply" trading a pick away. SEA is expecting Branch to be their #1 WR - and they knew Jackson's future cap impact when they made the deal for Branch, which is why I think SEA jumped to make the deal with NE when they saw opportunity.

WRs - even the best ones - often struggle with their first year after a trade. That's been well documented. I'd suspect that we'll see Branch take over as the #1 WR this coming season, one of the plethora of #3 WRs take over as the #2 WR (which Engram can very competently play if no one else steps up), and Jackson will be somewhere else, being paid a lot less than he's scheduled to make next year.

There's just too many factors against Jackson staying with the team - whether you think we're crazy or not.

I agree that Jackson is the best WR on your team Seahawk. and I agree he is semi underrated as far as his overall talent. problem is you cannot count on him being the number 1 because of injuries. I guess what I am saying is why give a guy that much money when you can use it better elsewhere. especially when your team has some decent WR's besides him.

I suppose we will see then, won't we. I'm just trying to tell you guys, there is ZERO chance he is gone. Will Santana Moss be cut?? Will Torry Holt?? How bout Roy Williams?? While I agree it would be insane to compare Jackson's overall talent to theirs, he is every bit as important to his offense as they are. Deion Branch was about 2-17 on slant routes this year. He just doesn't seperation fast enough for this kind of offense. Whether or not they thought Branch would be a #1 receiver when they brought him in is moot. Fact is, he isn't. They figured that out. Jackson is. Sometimes it is that simple, and plans have to change.

I suppose we will see then, won't we. I'm just trying to tell you guys, there is ZERO chance he is gone. Will Santana Moss be cut?? Will Torry Holt?? How bout Roy Williams?? While I agree it would be insane to compare Jackson's overall talent to theirs, he is every bit as important to his offense as they are. Deion Branch was about 2-17 on slant routes this year. He just doesn't seperation fast enough for this kind of offense. Whether or not they thought Branch would be a #1 receiver when they brought him in is moot. Fact is, he isn't. They figured that out. Jackson is. Sometimes it is that simple, and plans have to change.

I agree Branch is no Jackson. I have always said he(Branch) is a weak number 1...even when you were saying you now had 2 number 1 type WR's when you got Branch. but because of injury he will end up your Seahawks number 1 WR on many games anyways.

Yeah, that's some interesting speculation, but it blatantly omits 2 facts:

1) Jackson isn't worth $12M over 3 years. He's going to be overcompensated significantly in the coming 3 years. The NFL is still a business first & foremost.

2) SEA paid a #1 draft pick for Branch. When you see #1 or #2 picks traded for a player, the team trading the pick knows that they are obtaining what they consider a #1 player. NFL teams do not part with high draft picks lightly - certainly not like we FFers do - which adds to the misconception of FFers of "simply" trading a pick away. SEA is expecting Branch to be their #1 WR - and they knew Jackson's future cap impact when they made the deal for Branch, which is why I think SEA jumped to make the deal with NE when they saw opportunity.

WRs - even the best ones - often struggle with their first year after a trade. That's been well documented. I'd suspect that we'll see Branch take over as the #1 WR this coming season, one of the plethora of #3 WRs take over as the #2 WR (which Engram can very competently play if no one else steps up), and Jackson will be somewhere else, being paid a lot less than he's scheduled to make next year.

There's just too many factors against Jackson staying with the team - whether you think we're crazy or not.

I agree. D-Jax will probably be cut or traded this year. If not, then definitely next season. He's already stated that he's unhappy with his contract and there's no way that SEA pays $6 million/year+ each to three WRs. Especially with Hasselbeck, Alexander, and Walter Jones' contracts hogging cap space.

Also agreed about Branch's "struggles" in Seattle being a factor of his playing on a new team in a new offense. Geez, give the guy a break. He was traded mid-season and his QB was out with a knee injury for a few weeks. He may never be an "elite" WR, but he'll definitely be a solid #1.

I did not say I think he SHOULD be gone. I said that the Hawks think they can move on without him.

Which makes the Seahawks the crazy party. Trust me, you do not have to convince me that Branch, Burleson, and Hackett are not the answer, you have to convince the Seahawks.

21, tend to agree with you on the value of Djax to the Hawks, but so much on your evaluation of Branch. I can't help but notice how you are quick to dump on Stevens, yet are putting Djax on a pedastel. Djax dropped plenty of passes this year, including two 3rd down plays against Chicago in the playoffs.