[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nintendo Wii

Menudo

Well, I'm committed to buying one, but, I called every store in our area and they are sold out........ :D

I could do the E-Bay thing, but, they are jacking up the prices. I'm still such a little kid at heart, once that decision is made in my head to buy, I want to do so immediately !!!! :D

Edited by Menudo

We do have a Costco, but, I'm not a member. How do memberships work there ?

How desperate are we?

They're starting to become more available. I just got mine last week.

It's worth the wait.

Well, I think I'm going the E-Bay route. Looking at prices, it isn't too bad. My question, what all do I need to get. I have friends that come over and I want to be able to play with multiple people. Do I need several remotes, or can you just pass one along when bowling for instance ? Is there anything I need special to be able to go online ? Is there an HD cable ? etc, etc., etc.

Well, I talked to the wife and got the go ahead.

I found what appeared to be the best deal for me:

All new in box with a picture of the receipt and a paper with the user's name beside the box

Wi System w/ controller, numbchuck, Wi Sports, etc.. (250 retail)

Madden 07 - which would have been the 1st game I bought (55 retail)

USB Wi-Fi connector (40 retail)

Best Buy 2 Year product replacement warranty (40 retail)

$385 Retail, and I ended up only paying $395.00 including shipping with Buy It Now..... I feel good about the purchase. Now, I have to patiently wait for its arrival. :D:D

Well, I talked to the wife and got the go ahead.

I found what appeared to be the best deal for me:

All new in box with a picture of the receipt and a paper with the user's name beside the box

Wi System w/ controller, numbchuck, Wi Sports, etc.. (250 retail)

Madden 07 - which would have been the 1st game I bought (55 retail)

USB Wi-Fi connector (40 retail)

Best Buy 2 Year product replacement warranty (40 retail)

$385 Retail, and I ended up only paying $395.00 including shipping with Buy It Now..... I feel good about the purchase. Now, I have to patiently wait for its arrival. :D:D

just wanted to point out that t the system has its own wireless modem inside, so not sure why the seller included the USB wi-fi connector.

also, to answer your earlier question, there are wii component cables available. i bought mine from the nintendo store online for $30 (i think), but there are third-party cables available for around $20 (and maybe less). i believe the highest resolution right now is 480p, but on some games, like zelda, i noticed a huge difference.

Edited by montster

just wanted to point out that t the system has its own wireless modem inside, so not sure why the seller included the USB wi-fi connector.

also, to answer your earlier question, there are wii component cables available. i bought mine from the nintendo store online for $30 (i think), but there are third-party cables available for around $20 (and maybe less). i believe the highest resolution right now is 480p, but on some games, like zelda, i noticed a huge difference.

Ah, no big deal on the Wi-Fi connector. I'll sell that if I don't need it. Thanks for the other information !!

Question, are all games available to play online ? For example, I saw that they have Mario Kart available for download. Can you play that multi-player online ?

Ah, no big deal on the Wi-Fi connector. I'll sell that if I don't need it. Thanks for the other information !!

Question, are all games available to play online ? For example, I saw that they have Mario Kart available for download. Can you play that multi-player online ?

as far as i know, no, none of the wii games support online multiplayer. neither do the virtual console games (the older games available for download).

Believe you can have up to 4 players at one time. I think the Marvel Superheroes game is geared for that.

Wii is not geared towards online gaming, it's designed for "in the living room action." Family fun + the oldschool "come on over and play" gaming.

You can take your controller to other people's houses, the character (Mii) you create is stored on the remote.

Graphics are not all that good, but you play it for the novelty of actually physically doing something with your body instead of just your fingers/thumbs.

Surprised Dance Dance Revolution or the like has not come out for it yet.

The future of Wii could be virtual 3D worlds that you interact with by touching, moving body parts, etc. Graphics would still be pretty bad initially.

I have only played a few virtual reality games, Red Baron flying, hunting dinosaurs, etc. But I could see how the Wii line of products could end up going that direction.

It's not ready for internet interaction just yet.

You should be ashamed of yourself, that's $385 that could have gone into your kid's education fund.

<hopeshedoesn'tseethreadabouttwileygoingtovegasin48hours>

as far as i know, no, none of the wii games support online multiplayer. neither do the virtual console games (the older games available for download).

Dang I was under the impression you could play on-line with your Wii #, I was going to give it a try w/ a dude from work that is connected as well....we shall see.

Oh and Menudo you shouldn't need any Wi-Fi connections I think the dude threw that in to make a few extra bucks.

I would get other remotes though (at least one) I bought a second one when I purchased the Wii, but if you can find the Wii Play game it comes with one and it's only $10 more than a remote by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got home from a business trip, and waiting for me was my new Nintendo Wii....... :D

So, after spending some quality time with my son and wife, I went down and hooked everything up and fired up Wii Sports. I played a quick game of each, and Bowling was the stand-out game. It was so much fun to play. The feel is terrific, and the physics of the pins are perfect (if you hit the pins dead center, you will end up with a split, etc.)....... My 2nd favorite was golf. Now it is just a basic golf game, but, I still had some fun with it. I can't wait to pick-up Tiger Woods, which is going to be phenomenal on this thing. Baseball was o.k. to bat for about 5 minutes, but, I probably won't put anymore time into it. Tennis was a lot of fun too. It has a good feel to it as well. Seems a little bit easy though. Boxing didn't really feel right, and might be more fun playing against someone else. It was way too easy.

Then I fired up Madden, which was a ton of fun on the Wii. The passing is awesome. You just throw as if you were actually throwing a football. The running and tackling is fun too, as you use the controller and numchuck for jukes, stiff-arms and big hits. I had a lot of fun with this.

I started playing around with the Wii itself, and for whatever reason, it wouldn't connect to my Wireless AP. It located it, but, could not connect. :D Luckily, I had the Wi-FI USB Connector that came in the package, and that worked great. I went into Wii shopping and downloaded the Beta Web Browser they have, which is kind of cool. Then I setup the Weather and news channeld. The weather channel is a nice quick way to get 5 day forecasts and such. I then went in and greated my Mii character. It is kind of cool how it saves to your controller and keeps all stats there. I went and played my first "Official game" of bowling with my Mii and bowled a 178......not too bad.

The biggest negative is that as of now, I don't think this allows network multi-play. I hope that changes, because these games would be a ton of fun on network multi-play. I don't see why they couldn't do it. Also, the graphics aren't up to X-Box 360 specs, but, that isn't really the selling point. The selling point is the controller, which I think is a lot of fun. My wife even said that she thinks she will be interested in playing. She has never played games on my 360 and wasn't even willing to try. I have a couple of buddies coming over tonight for some Beers, Bowling, Tennis, Golf, etc.....

Just wanted to send my thoughts for anyone that is still on the fence in regards to the wii

On a side note, join costco for $50/year. You will save that on diapers alone.

Well, you are the 3rd person to tell me that. I think I'm going to do that........ Thanks.

On a side note, join costco for $50/year. You will save that on diapers alone.

Very true, though they stopped carrying the brand that my son fits into perfectly (Pamper's Cruiseres I think) , so we've been stocking up when Von's and Target have sales.

Very true, though they stopped carrying the brand that my son fits into perfectly (Pamper's Cruiseres I think) , so we've been stocking up when Von's and Target have sales.

Exactly the same here. The Costco Kirkland brand is basically identical to Huggies (they are made by the same company), but Pampers cruisers seem to work better for boys.

Not extremely desperate, but, I'm like a selfish 8 year old right now. I want to go Bowling on my 60" TV.... :D

pay me sticker price plus shipping and I will have you one monday.