[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The end of The Tonight Show

Grits and Shins

:D I can't stand Leno or Conan, loved Carson however. I've been watching Letterman for long time.

+1......Carson was great......the corney skeetches he did were hilarious.....and that Blonde chick with the rack (Carol ????) made for some good laughs...........when they were together :D

I am not old enough to recall Parr. But Carson was great. Everyone stayed up to watch Carson. Leno is fair at best. Conan sucks. Letterman is dry as bone. I never understood the fascination with Letterman at all...

I am not old enough to recall Parr. But Carson was great. Everyone stayed up to watch Carson. Leno is fair at best. Conan sucks. Letterman is dry as bone. I never understood the fascination with Letterman at all...

i hated Letterman........but after a couple months of Leno i switched to Dave.....don't catch it on a regular basis like our family did watchin Johnny.......... :D

can't remember Sky.......was Parr gettin old or just tired of doin the show ?.......

He was tired:

"Paar's emotionality made the everyday routine of putting together a ninety-minute program difficult to continue for long. Paar made it clear that he was not planning to continue with the Tonight Show because, as a TV Guide item put it, he was "bone tired" of the grind, and he signed off for the last time on March 29, 1962."

He went on to prime time TV with the Jack Parr Show.

I think letterman is fantastic ...its that dry sarcasm and quick wit , that is very funny imo

Rarely if ever do I watch the show. But when he first came on, there was this hugh buzz the first couple of years. "Oh, you have to stay up and watch Letterman". I must have heard that a dozen times so I would stay up and watch. The only thing I came away with was "This dude is dry as a bone and his orchestra dude is as queer as a football bat". Not unwatchable, but not something I would have to stay up to watch on a regular basis like Carson.

No late night talk show will ever be as big as the tonight show was when Carson was on. In Carson's hey day there weren't 120 cable channels and zillions of web-sites covering celebrities. If a movie star or comedian that you liked was going to be on Carson you made it a point to watch. I still remember when I was a kid checking the TV Guide listings everyday to see who was going to be on Carson that night. Nowadays who cares? If you don't catch someone on Leno, then you can them on the E! channel or just go read about them on the internet. I also used to have to walk 12 miles to school, uphill, both ways!!!!

I loved Carson. I even own a 3 disk collection of funny moments. It's not enough.

I also like Conan though. He's really funny.

Leno, meh. Letterman used to be funny. He just looks angry these days.

EDIT: Whatever happened to Carson, anyway? When he retired, he dropped off the earth except for one Simpons appearance. I guess he really enjoys his privacy after all those years in the spotlight. I expected to see him do something...

Edited by AtomicCEO

I don't know from Parr, but loved Carson! I have some fuzzy but fond memories of sneaking out of my bedroom at night and lying in the hallway spying on my parents as they watched Johnny Carson thinking I was asleep. As I grew up, I really began to appreciate his comedic timing. :D

I loved Carson. I even own a 3 disk collection of funny moments. It's not enough.

I also like Conan though. He's really funny.

Leno, meh. Letterman used to be funny. He just looks angry these days.

EDIT: Whatever happened to Carson, anyway? When he retired, he dropped off the earth except for one Simpons appearance. I guess he really enjoys his privacy after all those years in the spotlight. I expected to see him do something...

:shakeshead: Conan funny, wow you've got to be kidding me :D

Johnny did indeed totally remove himself from the lime light, however as I recall he died several years ago.

Johnny did indeed totally remove himself from the lime light, however as I recall he died several years ago.

Yep, he became VERY protective of his privacy and wouldn't make appearances. And unfortunately he did pass away not too long ago. :D

Arent Letterman and Leno on opposite John Stewart and Colbert? Why would anyone watch that humorless industry advertisement when you have The Daily Show and The Colbert Report with actuall comedy writers who interview real poloticians on both sides of the asile?