[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who To Keep?

Time to declare keepers is coming in one of my leagues and we can keep 3. Pretty standard scoring with 1 ppr and TE mandatory. Start QB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex either RB or WR. My dilema is I have LT2, Maroney, Chad Johnson, and Gates. I traded butthole TO for Maroney last season and was disappointed with the results. I hate to give up Gates for a hit-or-miss Maroney. Any insight would be appreciated.

Time to declare keepers is coming in one of my leagues and we can keep 3. Pretty standard scoring with 1 ppr and TE mandatory. Start QB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex either RB or WR. My dilema is I have LT2, Maroney, Chad Johnson, and Gates. I traded butthole TO for Maroney last season and was disappointed with the results. I hate to give up Gates for a hit-or-miss Maroney. Any insight would be appreciated.

How long can you keep the players for? To me, you honestly appear to have the best RB, TE and WR in the game. Hard not to keep them.

I'd throw Gates & CJ out on the trade markey & see what offers you get. Take the best offer & keep the other one. You could take offers on Maroney, too, but I don't think you'll get his value back - and with Dillon gone he figures to put up some very good numbers - Dillon put up 1700+ total yds & 13 TDs when he was the only game in town & healthy in '04 for NE. He put up 900+ total yds & 13 TDs in 11 games in '05.

Gates usually doesn't score as well because TE scoring in most leagues isn't very high relative to other positions, but the difference in his scoring and the #2 TE is usually huge, which makes his value comparable to CJ's value as a WR. If the better offer is for CJ, let him go & keep Gates. There's more WRs in the sea, and they're one of the easist FF positions to fill.

I'd throw Gates & CJ out on the trade markey & see what offers you get. Take the best offer & keep the other one. You could take offers on Maroney, too, but I don't think you'll get his value back - and with Dillon gone he figures to put up some very good numbers - Dillon put up 1700+ total yds & 13 TDs when he was the only game in town & healthy in '04 for NE. He put up 900+ total yds & 13 TDs in 11 games in '05.

Gates usually doesn't score as well because TE scoring in most leagues isn't very high relative to other positions, but the difference in his scoring and the #2 TE is usually huge, which makes his value comparable to CJ's value as a WR. If the better offer is for CJ, let him go & keep Gates. There's more WRs in the sea, and they're one of the easist FF positions to fill.

Thanks. I think I will put up CJ and see what I get.

To me it depends on how hard it is going to be for you to get another running back. If you think you can get one of the rookies, go ahead and let Maroney go. If not, I think you gotta keep him. Personally I think he has stud written all over him. Personally I would move Gates instead of Johnson, maybe draft Tony G with my first pick. Gates is phemonemal, but the fact remains, he's a tight end.

I'm a NE fan & I have Maroney on my ff team. I like him alot, but I think his performance at the tail end of last year is a real concern. However, with each team keeping 3 (I'm assuming =>12 teams in your league) it may be difficult finding an available RB who you can be pretty sure is going to carry the bulk of the load for his team. I think Maroney is riskier, but I'd probably still keep him over Gates.

What Bronco Billy said makes sense to me also.

gl

Have you considered trading Maroney to the team with the #1 overall pick? With only 3 keepers for each team, there will be some serious talent in the first few rounds of your draft. I assume you have a fairly late draft spot with a crew like LT2, Maroney, Chad, and Gates. You can tell the team with the top pick that he certainly won't be able to get someone of Maroney's caliber with his pick. That would give you 2 first round picks, letting you snag the best RB/QB combo you can in the first round. Just throwing out an option I didn't see mentioned yet. Good luck

Keep LT & Gates. Try to trade CJ for a pick, and keep Maroney. Gates value relative to other TE's is just too high to let him go.

I have the same problem too. DO I keep B. Jacobs, Jerious Norwood, or A. Gates. The 1st 2 (RBs) are pretty tempting. Both are potential starters. But Gates is clearly the best TE in the league today. And if I keep him, I have no need for any other TE, since it's the only WR/TE flex position that I have (the other being a WR/RB flex).

I have the same problem too. DO I keep B. Jacobs, Jerious Norwood, or A. Gates. The 1st 2 (RBs) are pretty tempting. Both are potential starters. But Gates is clearly the best TE in the league today. And if I keep him, I have no need for any other TE, since it's the only WR/TE flex position that I have (the other being a WR/RB flex).

Both RB's are tempting. Jacobs will be the starter, so I would definitely keep him. He may not pan out to become the stud I think he can be, but he is the starter with big upside, and therefore he is worth the risk. Not sure about Norwood just yet. I think he is definitely the future, but I'm not sure this year is it. Gates is another story. I do think he is the best in the league but I don't think the difference is as big as it used to be. In one of my leagues, last year Crumpler was the #1 TE, not Gates. So unless everyone is keeping a TE, then you should be able to pick up one of the top 6-8 TE's without much drop off.

Your obvious keepers are Tomlinson and Chad Johnson. I personally think that Gates is typically taken too early in drafts. I'd keep Maroney.

And then I would use Gates to land yourself another early round Draft choice. Sell him with the very thing that is tempting you -- here is the Tight End that you can rely on week-after-week. And If you don't trade with me for one of your draft picks, then someone else is sure to snatch him out from under you. Your offer should be for you to receive a 1st round pick. Odds are that will be turned down, but it can't hurt to ask. Think you might be countered with a 2nd round pick. Actually, I'd take that counter -- especially if it was a high second round pick.

This puts you in a solid position on draft day -- especially for wide receivers in a league that requires three wide receivers to be played. Unless you see some other exceptional value, use your first two draft picks for the two best receivers on the board at that time to platoon with Chad Johnson. Then that third pick in the second round can be used for either a solid third RB, fourth WR or quarterback.

:D SuperChiefs / John

Your obvious keepers are Tomlinson and Chad Johnson. I personally think that Gates is typically taken too early in drafts. I'd keep Maroney.

And then I would use Gates to land yourself another early round Draft choice. Sell him with the very thing that is tempting you -- here is the Tight End that you can rely on week-after-week. And If you don't trade with me for one of your draft picks, then someone else is sure to snatch him out from under you. Your offer should be for you to receive a 1st round pick. Odds are that will be turned down, but it can't hurt to ask. Think you might be countered with a 2nd round pick. Actually, I'd take that counter -- especially if it was a high second round pick.

This puts you in a solid position on draft day -- especially for wide receivers in a league that requires three wide receivers to be played. Unless you see some other exceptional value, use your first two draft picks for the two best receivers on the board at that time to platoon with Chad Johnson. Then that third pick in the second round can be used for either a solid third RB, fourth WR or quarterback.

:D SuperChiefs / John

Solid advice. Thanks and welcome. Chiefs fan?

LT, Maroney and Cj. Redraft Gates or upgrade elsewhere and get Heap later. NO way you keep Gates and pass on the RB, the difference between the RB you will see in round 1, vs Maroney, / vs the TE you will see in round 3 vs Gates, of a 3 keeper league is huge.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

You have to keep LT and Maroney. It is easier to replace or trade for Gates or CJ than it would be to trade for Maroney.

Then the next question is Gates a 'difference maker' in your league. Without the scoring who knows? Its a toss up between Gates and CJ. Put both on the block and see what you can do.

LT, Maroney and Cj. Redraft Gates or upgrade elsewhere and get Heap later. NO way you keep Gates and pass on the RB, the difference between the RB you will see in round 1, vs Maroney, / vs the TE you will see in round 3 vs Gates, of a 3 keeper league is huge.

Solid advice here, and above. I would be really tempted to keep Gates as well. Instead of Heap you could look at the Soldja and V Davis.