[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much to donate to my neighbors?

TimC

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As somebody hinted at before, I don't get why you guys are giving money to the family. Cooking a few meals for them should be good enough. (Otherwise you are just subsidizing/enabling a f'd up sense of priorities.)

give me a break, it's just a gesture. like when someone in your office has a family member in the hospital and everyone gets together a little collection to buy some restaurant meal cards to help defray the costs of not being able to eat at home. it's not that they "need" the money, it's just a way of showing support and solidarity or whatever. the fact that they have a couple blinged out SUVs they can't really afford is irrelevant to the equation, really.

They sure do train those kids early to cut grass. They just need to keep the little ones out of the way. :D

How do they earn money? Just curious. I mean you all knew their electricity got turned off so I thought that info might be passed around too.

Maybe you could build some rooms in your garage just in case they get booted from their house :D

Edited by chiefjay

I'm confused by this whole story - why does everyone assume that these neighbors are living beyond their means? maybe they are doing very well and can easily afford the two new SUVs with all the bells and whistles, the giant toolshed, and the two-story deck. But that in turn begs the question of why a donation is necessary I guess.

Whole thing makes no sense to me, I agree with the majority that twenty bucks is probabbly worth it just to keep peace on the street.

give me a break, it's just a gesture. like when someone in your office has a family member in the hospital and everyone gets together a little collection to buy some restaurant meal cards to help defray the costs of not being able to eat at home. it's not that they "need" the money, it's just a way of showing support and solidarity or whatever. the fact that they have a couple blinged out SUVs they can't really afford is irrelevant to the equation, really.

When people in my department go to the hospital, I bring them flowers, books, and home-cooked meals; I do not give them a card with $20 in it.

Sorry dude. Next time just PM me that you don't like my responses.

Huh?

Let's see...20 pesos....that's almost $2 American.

I don't know, my neighborhood we always gave food when stuff like this happened.

But if they want cash, $20 to keep your house being egged in the future is worth it.

Yeah, that's the point. I can see bring them some food, but it doesn't make sense to me to just throw them some cash. If they are spending money on rims instead of insurance for their kids, then that's f'd up. If they have insurance, then you're just giving them money for the new rims. That is f'd up as well.

When people in my department go to the hospital, I bring them flowers, books, and home-cooked meals; I do not give them a card with $20 in it.

well in my office, somebody usually gets together a collection like i described. i guess i'd better send out an email informing everyone that we are enabling a f'd up sense of priorities with this practice.

:D <-- so you know i'm being condescendingly sarcastic like normal.

I'm thinking of a dessert of H8 liver...please move this to the food and beverage forum.

CEO...all I have is Bush's baked beans. Do Mexicans touch that stuff? :D

Edited by TimC

well in my office, somebody usually gets together a collection like i described. i guess i'd better send out an email informing everyone that we are enabling a f'd up sense of priorities with this practice.

:D

Phew. All is well with the world again.

I'm with wiegie in that we typically make meals for people that they can warm up later. In times of crisis or when there's a baby just arrived, etc--people don't have the time or inclination to make a meal. We've received lost of positive responses for doing this.