[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Local Analyst's mock with commentary

rajncajn

http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../704230306/1032

April 22. 2007 11:00PM

MIKE DETILLIER'S FOOTBALL WORLD

Mike D’s mock first round

It is less than a week from the NFL draft, and while there will be some deals made that will alter the order, here is my take on the Top 32 selections for Saturday’s selection process.

1. Oakland Raiders, JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

It will be hard to pass on Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, but the Raiders must address the most critical position on the field. Russell has the size, strong arm and deep ball accuracy skills that owner Al Davis loves.

2. Detroit Lions, Calvin Johnson-WR, Georgia Tech

Look for the Lions to deal this pick to someone else so that team can obtain Johnson. The Buccaneers, Falcons and Redskins would love to get their hands on the highest rated college receiver I have scouted in 22 years.

3. Cleveland Browns, Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

Browns owner Randy Lerner wants his football organization team to draft a "franchise" type quarterback. General Manager Phil Savage prefers Russell, but with him off the board they select the Irish’s Quinn.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

Look for the Buccaneers to try and obtain the second overall pick to select Calvin Johnson. The Lions covet Adams, a speedy and talented pass rusher.

5. Arizona Cardinals, Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

Quarterback Matt Leinart and halfback Edgerrin James will love this pick.

6. Washington Redskins, LaRon Landry, S, LSU

Don’t be surprised to see the Redskins deal down if they can’t move up to obtain Johnson. The Falcons really would want a shot at the intimidating free safety from Hahnville High School.

7. Minnesota Vikings, Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

If he stays healthy Peterson could well turn out to be the steal of the draft at this point.

8. Atlanta Falcons (from Houston), Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

The Falcons would love to get Landry, but if not, new Falcons coach Bobby Petrino knows a lot about his former college pupil.

9. Miami Dolphins, Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

General Manager Randy Mueller knows he has an aging defense and Anderson has the skills to develop into a stellar NFL pass rusher.

10. Houston Texans (from Atlanta F.), Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

New Texans quarterback Matt Schaub will sleep better now with Brown anchoring down the left side of the Houston’s line.

11. San Francisco 49ers, Patrick Willis, MLB, Ole Miss

The 49ers fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl. The second safest defensive player in the 2007 draft behind Landry.

12. Buffalo Bills, Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

The Bills need someone to replace cornerback Nate Clements, a very rich man in San Francisco.

13. St. Louis Rams, Alan Branch-DT, Michigan

Ohio State’s Ted Ginn, Jr, will be hard to pass on, but the Rams need a big anchor in the middle.

14. Carolina Panthers, Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

Panthers coach John Fox will love Carriker’s size, intensity and run defense skills.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers, Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

The Steelers stay close to home to pick one of the fastest high risers of the draft.

16. Green Bay Packers, Marshawn Lynch, RB, California

Miami (Fla.) tight end Greg Olsen is tempting, but this team needs someone to grind out the tough rushing yards in November and December.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars, Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

The Jaguars fill a big hole with a local product.

18. Cincinnati Bengals, Jon Beason, OLB, Miami (Fla.)

Beason is a playmaker on defense for the Bengals, if he can stay healthy.

19. Tennessee Titans, Ted Ginn, Jr., WR, Ohio State

University of Tennessee wide-out Robert Meachem gets a lot of consideration, but the Titans go with Ginn due to his big-play ability and return skills. Ginn is not the second-coming of Chicago Bears punt and kickoff return phenom Devin Hester, but he is really good.

20. New York Giants, Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan

The Giants finally have a solid prospect to protect Eli Manning’s blindside.

21. Denver Broncos, Jarvis Moss-DE, Florida

Moss is an inconsistent performer, but he flashes great pass rush skills and closing speed coming off the corner.

22. Dallas Cowboys, Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

To be honest Bowe could be selected much higher than at this spot, but if not, he will quickly develop into quarterback Tony Romo’s main target with Terry Glenn and Terrell Owens getting up in age.

23. Kansas City Chiefs, Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

Chiefs coach Herman Edwards will quickly fall for Meachem’s size and ability to turn a short pass into a big gainer.

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle), Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State

Smart, tough, instinctive and versatile, Posluszny has the looks of a typical Patriots defensive player.

25. New York Jets, Greg Olsen-TE, Miami (Fla.)

Olsen would be a great addition to the Jets offense and quickly become a favorite of Chad Pennington.

26. Philadelphia Eagles, Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

The Eagles are starting to show some age in the secondary and Ross brings good coverage skills and excellent punt return ability.

27. New Orleans Saints, Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee

Talented, big defensive linemen are hard to find and while the cornerback spot is still one of concern for the Saints, so is their ability to consistently stop the run. Harrell is a tough guy and a real talent in the middle of a defensive line, if he can stay healthy.

28. New England Patriots, Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

With veteran cornerback Asante Samuel complaining about his current contract status, Houston looks like a natural at this spot.

29. Baltimore Ravens, Ryan Kalil-OC, USC

The Ravens would really like to draft a top talent at offensive tackle, but Kalil is just too good to pass on. The Trojan center is a value selection at this point in the draft and someone who could project to either center or guard.

30. San Diego Chargers, Michael Griffin, S, Texas

This physical Longhorn safety excels in run support and he is also a terrific special teams performer. Griffin blocked eight kicks during his college career.

31. Chicago Bears, Ben Grubbs-OG, Auburn

General manager Jerry Angelo loves Southern-based players and Grubbs is a first-class road grader.

32. Indianapolis Colts, Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State

Timmons only started one year in college, but he has the speed, pass coverage skills and range that Tony Dungy loves.

Edited by rajncajn

University of Tennessee wide-out Robert Meachem gets a lot of consideration, but the Titans go with Ginn due to his big-play ability and return skills. Ginn is not the second-coming of Chicago Bears punt and kickoff return phenom Devin Hester, but he is really good.

I am afraid that this is what is going to happen... :D

Taking safety, Michael Griffin, with the 30th pick is certainly possible....

:D .....but I keep thinking about the Bolts moving up on draft day. Ya see, the Chargers have this guy by the name of Michael Turner.....

Edited by Chargerz

Any chance the Pack could trade with Washington and get Adrian Peterson? the best back in the draft and there has to be some value to getting ahead of the Vikings so they don't get him (assuming they pick before time runs out)????

I don't know if it is probable, but, I think it would be a great move by the Packers.

I am afraid that this is what is going to happen... :D

Ginn is a tough sell to a fan base. I don't want to hear "but he's a good punt returner" for a first round pick.

For the most part, not a bad mock, but he's playing follow the Kiper and Mayock with that Jets pick. Uninformed, lack of original insight and no clue as to team needs or coaching philosophy sum up that Olsen pick. Olsen has turned into some sort of consensus pick amoung these guys that don't have a clue. Call me out on this, and I will explain why for the 20th time.... but I prefer you just trust me on this one.... I don't type very fast.

For the most part, not a bad mock, but he's playing follow the Kiper and Mayock with that Jets pick. Uninformed, lack of original insight and no clue as to team needs or coaching philosophy sum up that Olsen pick. Olsen has turned into some sort of consensus pick amoung these guys that don't have a clue. Call me out on this, and I will explain why for the 20th time.... but I prefer you just trust me on this one.... I don't type very fast.

I'm not calling you out & I'm not saying you're wrong, but Mike D is anything but clueless & misinformed. The guy runs his own scouting service & puts out a draft guide every year which is actually used by several NFL teams.

The truth of the matter is nobody here knows who their team will take come draft day. They can go for need or they could go for what they consider the BPA. After a few years of trying to predict who the Saints will take I've realized that no player or position is off limits and it's short-sighted to say "my team absolutely will not take..." By doing that you only set yourself up for embarrassment if you're wrong. :D

For the Saints I still think they will take a CB IF the one they want drops. If not they could go either WR or IMO the more likely DL and address CB with the 2nd pick. Of course all that goes out the window if players they consider a high value pick drop to them.