[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Deadliest Catch

jaxfactor

Just in case anyone missed last week's episode like I did, the Discovery channel is replaying it at 8:00PM EST, then the new episode at 9:00. I was too busy watching hockey and forgot all about it last week. Discovery is 278 on Directv.

I was anxious to watch this a few weeks back and then my wife told me it's only about crab catching. Is that correct? I was expecting big game fishing although I'm not sure that's the proper terminology.

I was anxious to watch this a few weeks back and then my wife told me it's only about crab catching. Is that correct? I was expecting big game fishing although I'm not sure that's the proper terminology.

It's a good show.... give it a shot. These guys are crabbing in fridgid waters (death in under 15 minutes if you fall in without a survival suit), high seas (sometimes 20-30 foot swells) and long hours (going 36+ hours non-stop).

My wife is actually really getting into the show, so it is nice to have another show we watch together and can also watch at times with our son in the room with us (something we are not comfortable with many other shows we both enjoy like CSI).

:D Thanks for the spoiler! Had it taped and was going to watch it after work today.

The wife and I recently started watching it also and both find it most enjoyable!

But you don't know what happened after he fell in!!! :D

"Only crab catching"???...I'm guessing where you come from, WW II was a disagreement we had with germany, italy, and japan; halle berry is kind of nice looking, for a girl; the Beatles, they were that band in the 60's that had a hit or two.

How many big game fishermen die pulling in that marlin? These big game fishermen...they do that fishing 24, 30, 36 hours straight? In freezing temperatures? Where they are likely to die if they fall off the boat?

Yea, I kind of like the show. It's one of about 3-4 shows that I never miss.

:D Thanks for the spoiler! Had it taped and was going to watch it after work today.

The wife and I recently started watching it also and both find it most enjoyable!

Uh, you opened the thread.

Did you expect "Pip, pip, great show old boy, cherrio"?

"Only crab catching"???...I'm guessing where you come from, WW II was a disagreement we had with germany, italy, and japan; halle berry is kind of nice looking, for a girl; the Beatles, they were that band in the 60's that had a hit or two.

How many big game fishermen die pulling in that marlin? These big game fishermen...they do that fishing 24, 30, 36 hours straight? In freezing temperatures? Where they are likely to die if they fall off the boat?

Yea, I kind of like the show. It's one of about 3-4 shows that I never miss.

Sorry dude, after watching Forrest Gump and Seinfeld it gets kind of burned into your brain that all you have to do is throw a net out there and catch shrimp, crab, lobster, etc... Obviously I know that's not the case but I was hoping for big game fisherman or even divers going into the oceans or seas and catching other sea type creatures and some of the other things you mentioned, long term fishing, cold weather, nice weather, etc...

Not much of a Beatles fan, Halle Berry's not bad for a nappy headed ho :D and I prefer the Revolutionary War over the WWII. LOL

I'll check it out for sure.

Edited by chiefjay

I seriously wonder about some of the guys that go out there. They're working sometimes 36-48 hours on essentially no sleep with 1/2 ton crab pots...empty. 30 foot waves crashing over the boat. Dangling on the side trying to chain things down. That's just absolute nuts. There's a reason why they sometimes earn $45k for a few weeks worth of work.

I like the show, but the tree hugger in me says, you better enjoy your crab now because these guys are going to exterminate them.

I thought that that's why crab fishing season is so short and why they can only take crabs of a certain size.

I like the show, but the tree hugger in me says, you better enjoy your crab now because these guys are going to exterminate them.

You are right about time running out on this industry but not form over crabbing. They seem pretty responsible in thier fishing practices and following size limits. The problem is the dwindling food sources for these crabs. That is caused mainly by the unregulated pacific fishing and whaling industries that provide food for the crab by dying and dropping to the sea floor. I saw a discovery show recently that followed the "lifetime" of a sunken whale corpse. You wouldnt imagine how many organisms live on one whale alone. They had tracked on from 50 years ago and it still was supporting little organisms on its bones alone. You cant take out as much foodstufs from any ecosystem as we have and expect it to survive. Thanks for killing my planet everyone! :D

I thought that that's why crab fishing season is so short and why they can only take crabs of a certain size.

well tim is from the south ... they dont believe in limits to conserve resources so he is assuming that these fellows in Alaska are the same ... but alas they are not...

I seriously wonder about some of the guys that go out there. They're working sometimes 36-48 hours on essentially no sleep with 1/2 ton crab pots...empty. 30 foot waves crashing over the boat. Dangling on the side trying to chain things down. That's just absolute nuts. There's a reason why they sometimes earn $45k for a few weeks worth of work.

Not to mention that they only get paid a percentage of the haul. No crab, no pay. :D

well tim is from the south ... they dont believe in limits to conserve resources so he is assuming that these fellows in Alaska are the same ... but alas they are not...

You missed the post about the other Earth we found with midgets that we can move to after this one is used up?

Since Duscovery and all the advo has hit, they all get the same amount of $$'s up to a certain amount of lb's. Farwest Leaders skipper and his wife are good friends of mine. He works at the course in the offseason Crabbing has been very good to him, very good. The days of all or nothing are gone though, at least until our fascination subsides. Single most dangerous occupation out there, hands down. I'm crazy and have major work ethic. Fished with some of these boys back in the day for Herring and Salmon. Never thought twice about going crabbing. The show doesn't give us the half of it. Those dudes are nuts and love being that close to death, though when pulling full pots of $15 to $20 dollar crabs out seems to put the danger wayyy back in their minds. I watch with morbid fascination weekly.

The Hansen's and Harris's have hugh boats and hugh backing. They will always do a bit better than the smaller boats. Never really met eityher family though Jonathan Hillstrand and Eric Nylander are quality men. They all do well finacially, though theri personal lives take major hits at times.

Great friggin' show.

Since Duscovery and all the advo has hit, they all get the same amount of $$'s up to a certain amount of lb's. Farwest Leaders skipper and his wife are good friends of mine. He works at the course in the offseason Crabbing has been very good to him, very good. The days of all or nothing are gone though, at least until our fascination subsides. Single most dangerous occupation out there, hands down. I'm crazy and have major work ethic. Fished with some of these boys back in the day for Herring and Salmon. Never thought twice about going crabbing. The show doesn't give us the half of it. Those dudes are nuts and love being that close to death, though when pulling full pots of $15 to $20 dollar crabs out seems to put the danger wayyy back in their minds. I watch with morbid fascination weekly.

The Hansen's and Harris's have hugh boats and hugh backing. They will always do a bit better than the smaller boats. Never really met eityher family though Jonathan Hillstrand and Eric Nylander are quality men. They all do well finacially, though theri personal lives take major hits at times.

Great friggin' show.

Which course

Great friggin' show.

When you see those guys again give them my props. :D Watching that guy going overboard and being rescued by the Hillstrand boat brings it all back to reality. Man, what an ending and the look on Jonathan's face was priceless. That dude would have surely died had their boat not been there and Jonathan kept an eye on him. :D

Cool. Haven't played there in years. I worked at Echo Falls one summer and we played most of the north end courses all summer long. HP was a fun course.

anytime you are up near here give me a shout and we'll play a round. Comp of course :D Used to live a couple blocks away from Echo Falls. Nice clubhouse, course can be a bit tricked up at times though fun to play. HP is in good shape right now, greens running about 9.5 to 10 and getting better