[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Owners, Dog Experts or anyone who knows anything about Dogs

Hat Trick

Okay, so heres the background first. I never had pets while growong up because my father was alergic to everything under the sun. I always wanted a pet of my very own, yet I was also scared of dogs and still am a little to this very day. I had some bad encounters with dogs over the years and unless the dog is just very friendly I'm pretty sure the dog can sense the fear I have of them. Anyway, on to the point. My wife and I have gone back and forth for around 3 years now on whether to add a dog to our household. I am a neat freak and I'm not sure how I would like the added mess/pet hair. My wife grew up with pets but didn't like the pet hair and mess. Another concern is being able to take time away from home and not having to worry about what to do with the dog.

Both of my kids 3 and 7 year old boys have been scared of dogs. My oldest has grown out of it, but my youngest is absolutely terrified of any animal that is large. If it's a small dog he wont scream and cry and hide from it, but he is very nervous to go near it, but sometimes will. In some ways I want a Dog to get rid of that fear we have. So any advice/suggestions to what I have stated.

What kinds of dogs stay small and are short haired or do not shed as much. What can I expect to pay anually?

Thanks!

FOr the shedding issue, you can look at poodles (toy and mini), though they are not always the best dogs with kids from what I understand, however, there are now a lot of breeders doing poodle mixes to get the benfit of a more even tempered dog with the non-shedding of a poodle. Things like a maltipoo. A Labradoodle would be too big though in general labs are some of the best dogs for kids (at least IMO based on my experiences with my dog).

IIRC, Sugar Magnolia works a lot with dogs and may be able to give some better advice.

What kinds of dogs stay small and are short haired or do not shed as much. What can I expect to pay anually?

Here's a LINK with a list of dogs that don't shed/shed very little. Do some research before you fly out and buy one though.

Good luck!

My brother in law, has a little guythat is hypo-allergenic. I will ask what the breed is for you. Full grown it only weighs about 12 lbs. As far as the fear, if you don't want your kids to end up like you, it would be a good idea for them and you probably.

Edited by NSab

I'm thinking if you get a dog as a puppy & the kids are there to watch it grow and spend plenty of time with it then that might actually help them conquer any fear of larger dogs. Even if it doesn't with other dogs I would think their fondness & familiarity with your dog (as long as they have plenty of contact) would prevent them from fearing it.

Okay, so heres the background first. I never had pets while growong up because my father was alergic to everything under the sun. I always wanted a pet of my very own, yet I was also scared of dogs and still am a little to this very day. I had some bad encounters with dogs over the years and unless the dog is just very friendly I'm pretty sure the dog can sense the fear I have of them. Anyway, on to the point. My wife and I have gone back and forth for around 3 years now on whether to add a dog to our household. I am a neat freak and I'm not sure how I would like the added mess/pet hair. My wife grew up with pets but didn't like the pet hair and mess. Another concern is being able to take time away from home and not having to worry about what to do with the dog.

Both of my kids 3 and 7 year old boys have been scared of dogs. My oldest has grown out of it, but my youngest is absolutely terrified of any animal that is large. If it's a small dog he wont scream and cry and hide from it, but he is very nervous to go near it, but sometimes will. In some ways I want a Dog to get rid of that fear we have. So any advice/suggestions to what I have stated.

Thanks!

i think bringing in a pup is the way to go with your family. no one can be the least bit scared of a little puppy, and as he matures, everyone's comfort level will just sort of adapt along with him.

if shedding is a concern to you, short hair isn't necessarily what you want, because most short-haired dogs still shed quite a bit. of course, there's less of it, so it's not as annoying as a larger dog with longer hair. in general, the breeds listed as being hypoallergenic are also the ones that shed a lot less -- they are typically the ones whose hair just grows until you cut it (like humans), and not those with fur that is is constantly replacing itself. here is an example. any poodle or poodle crossbreed is going to be a good choice. most terrier breeds as well, but i wouldn't really recommend terriers for your situation because of their somewhat assertive disposition. shihtzus and lhasa apsos might be good options if you want to stay very small (like under 15 lbs)....but i'm not sure having a dog that small will help your family get over any fear issues with other dogs. i would seriously think about a little larger dog that makes a great, gentle family pet, like maybe a goldendoodle (golden retriever, poddle mix) or porutgese water dog.

I'm thinking if you get a dog as a puppy & the kids are there to watch it grow and spend plenty of time with it then that might actually help them conquer any fear of larger dogs. Even if it doesn't with other dogs I would think their fondness & familiarity with your dog (as long as they have plenty of contact) would prevent them from fearing it.

Good info here.

I'm going to have a different opinion here.

I have too many times seen parents get dogs because their children fear them. Not always but many times it makes it worse. You get a puppy, the puppy play bites, kid screams, the puppy thinks the screaming is play, and the child is the submissive play mate and is relentless on the kid. The child defends himself, the dog bites to defend himself and then I get a phone call.

Small dogs usually don't tolerate young children very well.

I don't recommend dogs in general in households with children under the age of 5, unless the parents are experienced pet owners and the children are mature. If you are going to get one it is best to get an adult dog who has lived with children that age. Many breeders will not place dogs in homes with children under 5-they end up getting too many of them back.

My advice is to expose him to nice dogs in a controlled enviornment and wait 2 years before getting a dog.

If you don't listen to my advice, the best place to research breeds is to go to dogbreedinfo.com., and buy the book " How to Buy a Purebred Puppy" This book will give you accurate temperaments of the breed, common behavior and health problems, and how to find and interview reputable breeders. Wikipedia does have a complete list of hyopallergenic dogs-so a place to start to get a list of breeds to research.

I agree completely, but IF we get one, it will be a smaller dog.

I have too many times seen parents get dogs because their children fear them. Not always but many times it makes it worse. You get a puppy, the puppy play bites, kid screams, the puppy thinks the screaming is play, and the child is the submissive play mate and is relentless on the kid. The child defends himself, the dog bites to defend himself and then I get a phone call.

I don't recommend dogs in general in households with children under the age of 5, unless the parents are experienced pet owners and the children are mature. If you are going to get one it is best to get an adult dog who has lived with children that age. Many breeders will not place dogs in homes with children under 5-they end up getting too many of them back.

My advice is to expose him to nice dogs in a controlled enviornment and wait 2 years before getting a dog.

If you don't listen to my advice, the best place to research breeds is to go to dogbreedinfo.com., and buy the book " How to Buy a Purebred Puppy" This book will give you accurate temperaments of the breed, common behavior and health problems, and how to find and interview reputable breeders. Wikipedia does have a complete list of hyopallergenic dogs-so a place to start to get a list of breeds to research.

Very good info. :D

I've grown up with dogs so I'm used to the way they play. I can see how some kids might mistake that and be scared of even a small puppy.

JERRY: Hey what happened to you? You buzzed five minutes ago.

ELAINE: There was a dog in front of the building and it spooked me. I couldn't come in until he left.

JERRY: A little white dog?

ELAINE: Yeah.

JERRY: Snowball? You were afraid of Snowball?

ELAINE: I'm afraid of dogs now.

JERRY: He's like a squirrel.

ELAINE: Well he frightened me.

:D

i will defer to the expert here :D

i've seen situations where getting a pup of a good family pet breed really helps kids get over their nervousness around dogs, but since you mention it it's pretty easy to see how that could go the other way, too.

Edited by Azazello1313

I have too many times seen parents get dogs because their children fear them. Not always but many times it makes it worse. You get a puppy, the puppy play bites, kid screams, the puppy thinks the screaming is play, and the child is the submissive play mate and is relentless on the kid. The child defends himself, the dog bites to defend himself and then I get a phone call.Sounds right on

Small dogs usually don't tolerate young children very well.Good to know

I don't recommend dogs in general in households with children under the age of 5, unless the parents are experienced pet owners and the children are mature. If you are going to get one it is best to get an adult dog who has lived with children that age. Many breeders will not place dogs in homes with children under 5-they end up getting too many of them back.Having never owned a pet, I as well as my wife and I'm sure the kids would really like the experience of having a puppy and raising it

My advice is to expose him to nice dogs in a controlled enviornment and wait 2 years before getting a dog.He'll be 4 in Oct so not quite that long. He is just terrified of them if they are big. Some of this has to be that he's never really been exposed to dogs, but he's been around really really small dogs and warms up to them pretty good. My oldest was somewhat scared of them when he was little, but he is watched by my MIL who had a full grown black lab and it did try and bite him a couple times, but he loves all animals and has been begging for a dog. Most everyone we know has a dog, which makes it harder on us obviously.

If you don't listen to my advice, the best place to research breeds is to go to dogbreedinfo.com., and buy the book " How to Buy a Purebred Puppy" This book will give you accurate temperaments of the breed, common behavior and health problems, and how to find and interview reputable breeders. Wikipedia does have a complete list of hyopallergenic dogs-so a place to start to get a list of breeds to research.I'm definately going to listen to your advice and was hoping you'd respond when I was typing this up

:D

Great advise on the small dogs SM.

I know you're thinking about going smaller/puppy and have worries about allergies, but just temperment (sp?) wise you may want to consider rescuing a greyhound. They tolerate pretty much anything (ear/tail yanks) and are fun caring dogs.

I have a minature schnouzer. She is full grown and weighs 8 pounds. She does not shed at all. She has a great tempermate and is very good around small children. My wifes's 2 year old neice and 1 year old nephew always come over and play with her and she is always very gentle yet playful with them. She never bites, just does a lot of licking. But like Savage said, i do not know if this tempermate is in all miniature schnouzers or just in my particular dog.

I have a minature schnouzer. She is full grown and weighs 8 pounds. She does not shed at all. She has a great tempermate and is very good around small children. My wifes's 2 year old neice and 1 year old nephew always come over and play with her and she is always very gentle yet playful with them. She never bites, just does a lot of licking. But like Savage said, i do not know if this tempermate is in all miniature schnouzers or just in my particular dog.

I think you got lucky. Those things are complete spazzes.

Jack Russell. Their only problem is they bark too much but it's a small dog that I don't believe sheds much and pretty kid friendly from what I have witnessed.

Nothing personal chief, but this is perhaps the worst advice on the whole thread.

1) J Russels do shed quite a bit (and contrary to popular belief, short hair is actually more of a pain to deal with than long hair, as it sticks into things, as opposed to balling up like long hair)

2) Jack russels are notoriously strong willed dogs that can be very tough with children

3) for such a small dog, they are very very very high maintainance.

Personally I love them, but in terms of what the original poster was looking for, this was pretty bad advice.

Besides, I think cre8tiff had a pretty good rule there

Nothing personal chief, but this is perhaps the worst advice on the whole thread.

1) J Russels do shed quite a bit (and contrary to popular belief, short hair is actually more of a pain to deal with than long hair, as it sticks into things, as opposed to balling up like long hair)

2) Jack russels are notoriously strong willed dogs that can be very tough with children

3) for such a small dog, they are very very very high maintainance.

Personally I love them, but in terms of what the original poster was looking for, this was pretty bad advice.

Besides, I think cre8tiff had a pretty good rule there

:D My bad. Mine was a far sighted view of someone else's JRT. They don't seem like they shed and yes in hindsight I guess they can be a bit rough around the 3-5 year old set.

That said I don't think many dogs would be a bad fit for the HT household, just my opinion. I think the kid will fall in love with whatever type dog (within reason) that walks into that house. HT on the other hand may not. :D

I have a yellow lab that we got when my 8 year old was 6 mos and never had problems with it with him even though they say don't get labs with young children.

Edited by chiefjay