[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lendale misses camp

Chief

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 29, 2007) -- Tennessee Titans running back LenDale White did not make it back in time for organized team workouts, leaving coach Jeff Fisher unclear about White's whereabouts.

"Everybody else managed to make it back," Fisher said. "He didn't, so I don't know, I guess he had things that are more important to him than what we're doing. I would assume he would be back at some point today."

White, a second-round pick from Southern California last season, has had other issues this offseason, reporting for the Titans' offseason program at approximately 260 pounds, then suffering a hamstring injury.

Fisher said he had not spoken directly to White but did receive a telephone message from the running back about his absence saying he had flight problems.

White is expected to compete with second-round pick Chris Henry for the starting running back job.

"He'll get on the field eventually. I just hope it's not going to be too late," Fisher said.

"I've been on record with being disappointed with him right now. I hope to have him back on the practice field Thursday. But again, everybody else was here, he wasn't. I'm anxious to hear what kind of excuse he has."

--------------------------

Guess Lendale doesn't care too much, wonder if his job is on the line?

Guess Lendale doesn't care too much, wonder if his job is on the line?

I would doubt that it's quite that bad yet... but that's certainly the kind of "incident" that causes a superior to start building a file against you. :D

Jeff Fisher:

"Looks like you've been missing a lot of camp lately."

LenDale White:

"I wouldn't say I've been "missing" it, Jeff."

Can you really ever go wrong quoting Office Space? :D

Its all good now:

Wednesday, 05/30/07

White explains absence

Fisher later calls it misunderstanding

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Titans running back LenDale White created a stir at Baptist Sports Park on Tuesday without even being there, but Coach Jeff Fisher later said the second-year pro's no-show was the result of a misunderstanding.

White, who is being counted on for a significant number of carries this fall, hasn't practiced during minicamps due to hamstring injury but has been on hand for rehab. Although many players left town for the Memorial Day weekend, all but White showed up for Tuesday's organized workout.

White left a message on Fisher's voicemail saying he had difficulties catching a flight from Denver, but the coach and several Titans sounded off about White's absence after practice.

"I'm anxious to hear what kind of excuse he has,'' Fisher said.

Later Fisher found out that White had stayed in Denver to be with his grandmother, Sharon White, who was recently released from intensive care after suffering problems ranging from kidney failure to heart failure.

"Organized team activities are voluntary, they are not mandatory. However, we have had perfect attendance with very few exceptions," Fisher said. "When there is someone who is not in attendance, they typically have been excused. In order to excuse a player there has to be some kind of communication involved, and in this particular case there was a misunderstanding in communication. … He had family matters to take care of which I have since been informed about. He will be back in the building (today).''

Herman White, the player's uncle and Sharon White's son, said his nephew was at his grandmother's bedside in a Denver nursing home on Tuesday morning.

"It's not like he is fabricating things,'' Herman White said. "If I didn't know he was at his grandmom's bedside I might be questioning what he's doing, too. But I am not going to tell him, 'Don't be concerned about my mom.' She is very important to him."

Commitment questioned

White, a second-round pick in 2006, was expected to take over as the starter when the Titans lost veteran Travis Henry in free agency. But White showed up for offseason workouts overweight, perhaps prompting the Titans to draft another running back, Arizona's Chris Henry, in the second round this year.

Before learning of White's whereabouts, some Titans expressed disappointment in him.

"In the eyes of all of his teammates he needs to commit himself,'' linebacker Keith Bulluck said.

"Everybody on the team likes LenDale as a person, but he hasn't proven anything to anyone as a football player. Potential is one thing, but you have to apply it. …

"Him being one of the two people that we are supposed to rely on at the running back position, I don't think the things that he is doing this offseason is really sitting well with a lot of his teammates.''

Some players said they weren't even aware White was missing.

"We cant worry about what is going on behind the scenes,'' quarterback Vince Young said.

'He'll be ready'

Chris Henry, meanwhile, has practiced every day during the offseason. Quinton Ganther, a seventh-round pick last year, has also seen a lot of action.

"You have to worry about the guys that are here,'' center Kevin Mawae said. "(White) not being here just creates opportunities for other guys. It is up to him to decide what he wants to do. … He is a guy that we need to be here.''

Herman White said his nephew was scheduled back in Nashville by mid-day Tuesday. LenDale White did not return a phone message.

"I am concerned about LenDale and his perception. He knows he needs to be on the field, and he knows he needs to shed some pounds,'' Herman White said. "But he'll be ready and he is committed to helping that team. He's proven that by being there all offseason.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I think the fact that his coach and teammates were so quick to bring him down for not being there shows what Lendale is like. They have no faith in him. I'll be shocked if Lendale White ever amounts to anything more than a serviceable change of pace running back. I'm moving Henry up my list.

Even though his absence was and is excusable, it still sounds like theres alot of question marks over this kid. Being over weight is one thing, but having your own team mates question your heart, desire, and dedication, that's quite another story. Kind of reminds me of a guy we had, called Mike Williams.

Yes, LenWhale has quickly gained a reputation of being fat, lazy and not really into football. Lack of desire and dedication seem to be a big issue here. He doesnt seem to be very popular and has left the door wide open for others to take the starting RB job in Nashville.

What leagues are you in where Henry fell to 2.08 & 2.12? He just went at 1.05 in my dynasty league.

WDDL and WDL. leagues I joined here at the huddle.

I would imagine the recent news has pushed him up quite a bit.although I thought he would of already been gone at that point too.

Even though his absence was and is excusable, it still sounds like theres alot of question marks over this kid. Being over weight is one thing, but having your own team mates question your heart, desire, and dedication, that's quite another story. Kind of reminds me of a guy we had, called Mike Williams.

:D