[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I played poker with former NFL Player last night

spain

I was in Memphis on my weekly business trip. Tried to slip down to Tunica for the 7:00 pm tourney at the Horseshoe but got there late. Ate dinner and then walked over to the GoldStrike for some $1/$2 NL cash games. I could only stay for 2 hours but thought, "why not"?. Bought in for $300 and cashed out for $603. Not a bad EV for the night. The table was softer than lambs wool. Anyway, a guy next to me busted out a time or two but kep buying back in for $700. He said he played for the Jaguars as their kicker in 1999. he also claimed to have been on the Bronocs roster. He had 2 and 1/2 years total in the NFL. Said he played college at Ole Miss. Ive never heard of him, but his name was Steve Lindsay I think. Anybody ever heard of this dude?

I was in Memphis on my weekly business trip. Tried to slip down to Tunica for the 7:00 pm tourney at the Horseshoe but got there late. Ate dinner and then walked over to the GoldStrike for some $1/$2 NL cash games. I could only stay for 2 hours but thought, "why not"?. Bought in for $300 and cashed out for $603. Not a bad EV for the night. The table was softer than lambs wool. Anyway, a guy next to me busted out a time or two but kep buying back in for $700. He said he played for the Jaguars as their kicker in 1999. he also claimed to have been on the Bronocs roster. He had 2 and 1/2 years total in the NFL. Said he played college at Ole Miss. Ive never heard of him, but his name was Steve Lindsay I think. Anybody ever heard of this dude?

I've never heard of him........ :D Still, pretty cool though. :D

Speaking of Poker, I think I've finally found my online calling. I usually play the cash games online, and I've just started playing at Bodog. I really like their site. I've played a lot of online poker over the years, only playing the cash tables, usually $1-$2 No Limit. I honestly think I've broke closed to even through the years. The ups and down of those cash games are crazy. It is frustrating, because I've always held my own at our Friday Huddle games, and felt I should be pocketing some $$$.

Today, I decided to throw $60 in and play some sit and go tournaments. I won (2) $33 Buy-Ins, which payed like $130 each, I came in 2nd in another $33 buy-in, which payed about $75, and then I destroyed some dude in a heads-up game for $55.

Maybe it was just today, but, the players seemed extremely weak, with the exception of a couple solid players that I came across. If the tables are like today all of the time, I think I can finish in the money in the sit-in-go's quite a bit. However, I'm playing low-stakes. I'm sure the players get better as the stakes raise. I also found the sit-and-go's much more enjoyable, but, maybe that is because I was winning. :tup:

I love Poker.

Sorry to hijack your thread Spain, but, I know you like to trade poker stories.

Edited by Menudo

Hey spain, $100 says Jags win more regular season games this year than the titties.

:D Dude, be careful way way way out there on that limb! :D The Titans took SEVERAL steps back this off season. They are looking at a Lionesque type season this year.

Have you heard of Steve Lindsay, Jake?

jaguars report: strategy and personnel

... Coughlin probably wouldn't give a second thought to bringing in another kicker. ... In 1999 and 2000, the kickoff duties were handled by Steve Lindsey. ...www.sportsline.com/nfl/teamrpt/5728598 - 5k - Cached - More from this site

I can't open this link at work:

Steve Lindsey - Professional Poker Player Profile

In depth information about professional poker player Steve Lindsey. ... Steve Lindsey Poker Results. EVENT. PLACE. PRIZE. DATE. Holiday Bonus Tournament ...www.pokerpages.com/players/profiles/49643/steve-lindsey.htm - 32k - Cached - More from this site

Same guy?

I've never heard of him........ :D Still, pretty cool though. :D

Speaking of Poker, I think I've finally found my online calling. I usually play the cash games online, and I've just started playing at Bodog. I really like their site. I've played a lot of online poker over the years, only playing the cash tables, usually $1-$2 No Limit. I honestly think I've broke closed to even through the years. The ups and down of those cash games are crazy. It is frustrating, because I've always held my own at our Friday Huddle games, and felt I should be pocketing some $$$.

Today, I decided to throw $60 in and play some sit and go tournaments. I won (2) $33 Buy-Ins, which payed like $130 each, I came in 2nd in another $33 buy-in, which payed about $75, and then I destroyed some dude in a heads-up game for $55.

Maybe it was just today, but, the players seemed extremely weak, with the exception of a couple solid players that I came across. If the tables are like today all of the time, I think I can finish in the money in the sit-in-go's quite a bit. However, I'm playing low-stakes. I'm sure the players get better as the stakes raise. I also found the sit-and-go's much more enjoyable, but, maybe that is because I was winning. :tup:

I love Poker.

Sorry to hijack your thread Spain, but, I know you like to trade poker stories.

I've found the Bodog SNGs to be pretty laden with weak players, though I like to stay in the $10 SNGs as I havent deposited online in a while and dont want to risk going bust in the near future. Had a nice run in the cash games (2/4, 3/6 and 4/8 6-handed) over the last week or two, but crash and burned last night. Getting queens and kings cracked in the 4/8 6-handed game cost about $65+ each hand, and hardly got anything going. I'm not bankrolled online to really be playing in those games anyway, so, will probably stick to the lower spectrum of my comfort zone to grind it back up.

I really like their MTTs. Not sure, if, like your success in the SNGs, it is because I have run fairly well in them, but the Firday and Sat. night tournies are a lot of fun. If i have nothing to do the next morning, I often get in on 3-5 a night as they run different tournies every 15 minutes.

I'd love to play more ... I just don't see how you guys have time for that (in addition to being a good husband, a good dad and do your job at a high level)...

:D

Apparently, playing regularly isn't the cards for me, I guess...

I'd love to play more ... I just don't see how you guys have time for that (in addition to being a good husband, a good dad and do your job at a high level)...

:D

Apparently, playing regularly isn't the cards for me, I guess...

Well, I did a first today, work was slow, so I used LogMeIn to get to my home PC and played for a few hours from work. :D

At home, I usually play late-nite when the kid and wife are both sleeping.

The Jags kicker in 1999 was Mike Hollis who played for them from 1995 through 2001. He had a full eight year career with the final year of 2002 in BUF.

In 2002, the Jags had 4 kickers - Danny Boyd, Richie Cunningham, Tim Seder and James Tuthill. Amazingly that the was last any of the four had any stats in the NFL.

Oh sure, now I see the above post. Not exactly a stellar career to be talking about seven years later.

I've found the Bodog SNGs to be pretty laden with weak players, though I like to stay in the $10 SNGs as I havent deposited online in a while and dont want to risk going bust in the near future. Had a nice run in the cash games (2/4, 3/6 and 4/8 6-handed) over the last week or two, but crash and burned last night. Getting queens and kings cracked in the 4/8 6-handed game cost about $65+ each hand, and hardly got anything going. I'm not bankrolled online to really be playing in those games anyway, so, will probably stick to the lower spectrum of my comfort zone to grind it back up.

I really like their MTTs. Not sure, if, like your success in the SNGs, it is because I have run fairly well in them, but the Firday and Sat. night tournies are a lot of fun. If i have nothing to do the next morning, I often get in on 3-5 a night as they run different tournies every 15 minutes.

Plenty o fish in the Bodog SNG's. Have been running well just being patient, playing TAG. Mostly play the $25 or $55 mainly b/c they are turbo's and I can't sit there for too long. MTT.....would love to play in more of them, just haven't found the time, and if I play in them rushed I am dead money.

Last Night's $55/10 man - ended up setting for 2nd, AA cracked by J10 as the J hits on the flop and the 10 spikes on the river. Hold Em, what a game.

Can't seem to get a feel for the cash games.....my cash game needs some work fo sure.

At home, I usually play late-nite when the kid and wife are both sleeping.

Same here. I may get a quick 20-30 minute session in during the week at night, but I usually play either Friday or Sat late night once everyone is asleep.

Thats the guy! Said he played for Jacksonsonville and then Denver, and went to college at Ole Miss. Nice guy for sure. I was sure he wasnt making things up because he knew some players on that Jacksonville team that only football nerds like us Huddlers would remember. Said he mostly hung out with Brant Boyer(remember the LB out of Arizona that played for a couple teams including Jax and Cleveland?).

Anyway, here are a hands for you to consider. I am UTG +1. Look down to see 2 black hooks. I limp knowing that it will be raised and I can smooth call to see the flop for ~$20. Couple limpers then the button bumps it to the standard raise of $15. He was an old rock who hadnt played but a hand or 2 all night. UTG then bumps it to $60 to go. :D He is new to the table and I have no read on him whatsoever. I am thinking about calling but am afraid the rock might squeeze me by coming back over the top. What would you do?

Hand #2: MP I get Cowboys. An obvious raising hand, except for 2 people to my left are very aggressive but solid players who I am targeting, and I want to play this tricky. At least one of them raises most hands pre-flop. So, I am going to either smooth call their raise, and try to conceal the strength of this hand. Anyway, one of them calls along with nearly everyone else at the table! :D I didnt want to see this flop with eveyone else at the table! Bad time to get fancy here. Except I get the dream flop of A K 7 rainbow. EP bets $15, I call, aggressive target to my left calls, Everybody else folds. Turn is a blank, but there are no draws on board. I bet out $20. Target bumps it to $60. EP folds. Now I am left with a dilemma. I dont really want to reveal the strength of my hand yet. But I want to get as much money in the pot as possible. The question is do you smooth call here and bet out on the river? Or do you raise here and hope he has something like 2 pair where he will call this raise and then another bet on the river?

Hand #1 - Easy fold IMO. The table rock is the initial raiser, and you know he isn't doing that without a premium hand considering the number of players already in the pot. Your best case scenario IMO is he has AK, probably suited, so a race. Then the unknown bumps it to 60. I lay down here and watch the hand play out. No need to commit so much with a hand that is at the very best a coin flip, and most likely dominated by two players.

Hand #2 - With only 3 of you at the turn, your target easily could think you are trying to steal the pot at this point and is raising to see where you are at. He didn't raise preflop, so, I will discount the likelihood of AA. AK you are ahead of but given the action I also think is an unlikely holding as he did not raise preflop. Only knowing that he is aggressive, I could envision a player like that making these plays with a medium ace like AQ-A9 or he got (un)lucky and spiked two pair with a weak ace or king. Lesser likelihood he has a weak set, but it is certainly in the realm of hands this kind of player is likely to play like this.

I think you should call the raise, which puts approx. $200 in the pot, and, so long as the river is not an ace, I lead out with a bet of about $125 (obviously, knowing your approx. stack and his approx. stack would have bearing on this). If it is an ace, I may be more leary based on the play of the hand and look for a check call. This is a bit passive, but, with an aggressive player he is very likely to fire a river bet with lone aces and two pair on this kind of a board.

Hand #1 - Easy fold IMO. The table rock is the initial raiser, and you know he isn't doing that without a premium hand considering the number of players already in the pot. Your best case scenario IMO is he has AK, probably suited, so a race. Then the unknown bumps it to 60. I lay down here and watch the hand play out. No need to commit so much with a hand that is at the very best a coin flip, and most likely dominated by two players.

Hand #2 - With only 3 of you at the turn, your target easily could think you are trying to steal the pot at this point and is raising to see where you are at. He didn't raise preflop, so, I will discount the likelihood of AA. AK you are ahead of but given the action I also think is an unlikely holding as he did not raise preflop. Only knowing that he is aggressive, I could envision a player like that making these plays with a medium ace like AQ-A9 or he got (un)lucky and spiked two pair with a weak ace or king. Lesser likelihood he has a weak set, but it is certainly in the realm of hands this kind of player is likely to play like this.

I think you should call the raise, which puts approx. $200 in the pot, and, so long as the river is not an ace, I lead out with a bet of about $125 (obviously, knowing your approx. stack and his approx. stack would have bearing on this). If it is an ace, I may be more leary based on the play of the hand and look for a check call. This is a bit passive, but, with an aggressive player he is very likely to fire a river bet with lone aces and two pair on this kind of a board.

Hand #1: I folded like a scared school girl. Rock smooth called the $60. If I knew for sure he would only call, I might have called to see the flop with my JJ, with that much money out there. The flop came JJ 5! :D The new guy went all in for ~$200 and the rock folded. I folded what would have been quads! :D The new guy turned out to be a total maniac. If I had all that I wouldnt get squeezed and the new guy was a maniac before that hand, I would have won alot of money.

Hand #2: I put the aggessive bettor on a big Ace or Aces up but not AK; or he is just taking a stab at the pot hoping I am weaker than whale piss. I went into the tank not really sure how to play this. I am thinking he may be just making a play. If he is, then he wont call a raise here and wont bet the river either if I just call. If he has a nice piece of this, then I am going to get paid off, especially if the river improves his hand. Anyway, after much thought and a little Hollywood, I smooth call the bet. River was another blank. I bet out a stack of red. Now he goes into the tank. Now, i am quite sure he has 2 pair and I am praying he comes over the top. Finally, he calls. I flip over my KK and he mucks whatever he had. If I had raised the turn, I think now, that he would have called. So, I most likely missed one round of betting there.

Hand #1: I folded like a scared school girl. Rock smooth called the $60. If I knew for sure he would only call, I might have called to see the flop with my JJ, with that much money out there. The flop came JJ 5! :D The new guy went all in for ~$200 and the rock folded. I folded what would have been quads! :D The new guy turned out to be a total maniac. If I had all that I wouldnt get squeezed and the new guy was a maniac before that hand, I would have won alot of money.

Hand #2: I put the aggessive bettor on a big Ace or Aces up but not AK; or he is just taking a stab at the pot hoping I am weaker than whale piss. I went into the tank not really sure how to play this. I am thinking he may be just making a play. If he is, then he wont call a raise here and wont bet the river either if I just call. If he has a nice piece of this, then I am going to get paid off, especially if the river improves his hand. Anyway, after much thought and a little Hollywood, I smooth call the bet. River was another blank. I bet out a stack of red. Now he goes into the tank. Now, i am quite sure he has 2 pair and I am praying he comes over the top. Finally, he calls. I flip over my KK and he mucks whatever he had. If I had raised the turn, I think now, that he would have called. So, I most likely missed one round of betting there.

Hand #1 - THat sucks, but IMO you made the right play by folding with the available information. Results oriented thinking will only cost you money though, and I would venture a guess that 9 out of 10 times you are way behind after the flop given this action and what is known about these players.

Hand #2 - At least you took down a nice pot.

Don't know much about high level poker, but meeting a former NFL player (esp. one with a short career) is not uncommon around here. I've got two of them I see regularly, and my wife's cousin actually played for 6 years with the Vikings.

So I'd just say don't get too starstruck, and make sure you focus on taking his $! :D

Speaking of Poker, I think I've finally found my online calling. I usually play the cash games online, and I've just started playing at Bodog.

I'm on Bodog too. Very up and down. I've only played the .25/.50 and .10/.25 tables. More fish there. I make a bit there... but then it's easy to lose it there, too, because of the chasing donks that keep anything preflop and chase. I like the SnGs and win quite frequently. I'm "darin3" there, too... hope to see ya there. :D

I'm on Bodog too. Very up and down. I've only played the .25/.50 and .10/.25 tables. More fish there. I make a bit there... but then it's easy to lose it there, too, because of the chasing donks that keep anything preflop and chase. I like the SnGs and win quite frequently. I'm "darin3" there, too... hope to see ya there. :D

My fish list only has one name on it.... :D

I remember him but only because of a co-worker named Steve Lindsay...

Hand #1 - Agree with BC and his analysis - Doyle Brunson says the third raise is ALWAYS A-A or K-K, no exceptions at all. In this case you're facing a second raise but with a potential third raise behind, reasonable to assume that the second raise has you beat or at best is a race with two overcards, you were right to lay this one down IMO.

#2 - I'd have done the same, call on the turn and then bet out the river. By my math the pot going into the river was about $175? I'd have bet out between $80 and $100 there, curious how much you bet out (is stack of reds = $100)?