[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Soprano's

isleseeya

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wikipedia:

Final scene interpretation

The ending is said to offer no closure or catharsis for viewers.[1] Instead, it is left open ended allowing for the viewer's own interpretation.

The family may go on living their lives normally, as symbolized by the use of Journey's song "Don't Stop Believin'": "And the movie never ends/It goes on and on and on," or the family may have been killed, as symbolized by the abrupt ending. The final scene is described as:

"Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, hottie Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for dinner. [2]"

It appears that the intention of the creators was for viewers to interpret the final scene individually. Interpretations have varied from Tony being shot to his future indictment or a possible deal with the FBI. In the previous episode, Tony recalls a scene in a boat with Bobby whereby the men discuss death and Bobby comments that one will never know when it happens. It may be the case that the final, confusing, blank at the end of program signifies Tony's death. Or perhaps the ambiguity at the end is the whole point. Is Tony good or evil? The answer has always been ambiguous. Whether Tony lives or dies is ambiguous too. There is no way to determine the significance of the black screen at the end as any interpretation is conjecture. The sudden cut to black is typical of some European art films, particularly the works of the Dardenne brothers, which deny the viewer easy closure or a clear moment of redemption.[3] David Chase has been greatly influenced by European film, particularly Fellini.

>

> the two black guys, they were paid before to kill tony but he was only

> shot in the ear, this was in one of the earlier seasons, also in the

> earlier seasons, the trucker who was sitting at the bar stool, who the

> camera kept focusing in on, is Nikki leotardo, Phil Leotardos nephew,

> he was in one of the early season episodes where Phil and Tony have a

> sit down....

This part, which is the crux of the argument is simply, out and out not true.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111...07-1360360.html

And others have done an IMDB check and found no one listed in the credits from last night's show as a bit part (the two black hitmen, specifically) were listed in previous episodes. :D

So...it's nothing more than interpretation. I think the tension over all the mundane happenings at the end of the series is reflective of how tense Tony is: when is he going to be shot, when is he going to get indictyed, etc. He isn't living a happy life and we all expected a pat resolution at the end because that's what we're used to.

Also, people are claiming that they saw a shot of Meadow coming IN the restaurant but that wasn't aired either. it's people filling in what they thought the next shot would be, not unlike a good horror film.

When I watch a movie or a tv show that gives me a vague ending that is open to interpretation, my first reaction, strongest emotion, and longest lasting impression is just to be really ticked off.

Sam Beckett never returned home.

Worst series ending EVER. :D

IF you were a fan of the show, and eagerly awaited the ending of Twin Peaks, then what happened last night was barely a riplle in terms of disappointment.

I do want to go back and dissect the angles used in the scene. Too bad the clip has been pulled, but it was a jarringly cut scene at least subconsciously.

seeking it again... still seems like and odd place to cut it...camera was on tony (not from his point of view).

but- psuedo-harmoneous family dinner, tony has more acceptance for aj, meadow is directed, carmella looking to remodel kitchen... "don't stop believing".... aspirations, thriving for better. outside of court mandated therapy, why do people go? ..... tony may be more at peace in his life (still trouble ahead, but in a better palce to deal with it)....

seems like he got iced, but died more complete

aint it cool news.com is reporting that they saw the ending [which harry normally gets all the special viewings] and they are pissed that they cut the final 8 seconds of the episode.

It was altered prior to airing by Chase and HBO.

Apparently the ending was nothing more than meadow walking in and smiling at Tony and Tony smiling back at her.

aint it cool news.com is reporting that they saw the ending [which harry normally gets all the special viewings] and they are pissed that they cut the final 8 seconds of the episode.

Apparently the ending was nothing more than meadow walking in and smiling at Tony and Tony smiling back at her.

If that is true, than it was a good move by Chase and HBO. This ending has them (us) talking....

Yeah there was no loss of sound when meadow walked in...you could hear the sound of the chimes that Tony looked up for and the music continued until the abrupt end. Nor was there a fade...the screen and sound just went all at once.

Edited by Crazysight

Did anyone notice the song Tony almost played on the jukebox before he chose the Journey song?

I did it my way. Funny.

I also understand Chase left for France with no way to reach him, and left instructions to all producers and writers to refuse to discuss how they decided on the ending.

Did anyone notice the song Tony almost played on the jukebox before he chose the Journey song?

I did it my way. Funny.

Actually, I watched the ending again on that Youtube link looking for any clues. The songs that he considers before settling on "Don't Stop Believing" were:

Who Will You Run To (A Side)

Magic Man (B Side)

&

I've Gotta Be Me (A Side)

A Lonely Place (B Side)

Am I reading this right?

Another problem with a movie is that so many characters died in the last season. Chase said he has considered "going back to a day in 2006 that you didn't see, but then (Tony's children) would be older than they were then and you would know that Tony doesn't get killed. It's got problems."

Am I reading this right?

I don't know how you're reading it, but what Chase means is that there wouldn't be any drama in a movie set in 2006 because you would know going into it that Tony makes it through alive - it's set in the past.

Nonsense.

They shot like 3 endings for that scene to throw people off, and I seriously doubt that HBO screwed with the last 6 seconds of a series finale.

It doesn't seem to divulge any info. I don't think anything was supposed to have happened, but maybe it's "open for interpretation" as somebody has said...

It was definitely made as ambiguous as possible. Was the guy going to the bathroom suspicious? Or did you just think he was suspicious because everyone was expecting something to happen?