[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Might Be Moving

spain

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to consider is have the company buy your current house at fair market value if you move and have them sell it - that way you won't have to carry 2 mortgages or pay utilities on the old house.

Right on. I moved last year for the benefit of the govt. They paid all closing expenses (buying and selling) and also bought my house. Paid for packing, transport, and storage of our stuff. Paid for temp housing for 60 days while we waited for our house to be finished. Also paid for my wife and I to come down for a week for house hunting. All the misc expenses I had them pay me lump sum up front instead of submitting receipts.

Depending on your wife's profession, you may also get them to offer her a job.

If they want you bad enough, and it makes sense, do it. Though, that's a beautiful setup you got in Franklin, and I would imagine the deal would have to be an extremely sweet one for you to go on board with it.

But how would this affect our getting together for cards when I finally get back out to Nashville? :D

Promises promises. Ive been waiting for you to come visit Nashville for 5 years and you still havent made. I expect to see Only In America and Irish to show up on my doorstep before you finally make it over here! :D

Spain, nice job with the negotiations so far.

One thought I had is something I wish I could have done on several occassions but just couldn't quite pull off. If I had, I'd be sitting pretty today. And that is - is there any way you could rent out your current house for enough to cover the holding costs (mortgage, taxes, etc) ??? If you can, and don't mind playing landlord, you could be in great financial shape in 10 to 15 years. The time goes by whether you sell or rent, but if you can find a way to make it work, the renters will slowly but surely be paying off the principal on your mortgage; while you gain from any market appreciation over the years.

Then, let wifey pick out a nice home in Knoxville and start the process all over again. If, in the future, you get transferred back, you can repeat this process. Or at least, you will have some nice options.

Just my $0.02.

I like the idea but its not really an option.

If they want you bad enough, and it makes sense, do it. Though, that's a beautiful setup you got in Franklin, and I would imagine the deal would have to be an extremely sweet one for you to go on board with it.

Exactly! I am just getting my house and yard the way I want it so it would be hard to leave. But they have nice places in Knoxvegas too. Plus, a good buddy of mine is a builder there. I would probably get him to build me a new house.

It would be tough for me to drag on your current location. I have a "generous" offer to move as well. Soon my wife will receive an offer to move to Bentonville, Arkansas for a fat raise. We are not down with it. We like the stability and small town values where we currently live.

I dont know if its unethical but it is definitely unprofessional.

I would quit and get a job with our leading competitor by the end of the day. And they know that too. They asked me if I would be interested, and I told them essentially what it will take. Lets see what they come up with. If its not good enough, we negoiate some more. If they cant meet my demands, I stay put. Pretty simple to me.

Unprofessinal IS a better word.

Those last few sentences make me rethink part of my advice: put the screws to them before they meet your initial demands. Go for broke! :D:D

Update: I have had a couple different calls today about this issue from people who are only tangentially affected. Apparently, there is alot of politicking and such behind the scenes. One guy who is a friend of mine, and who manages a group that supports my team, called. He said he was lobbying to keep me in Nashville and let Steve move to Knoxville. He wants to keep me around here. He wanted to know what I thought about that scenario. I told him that would be the best of both worlds and what I originally suggested. But the VP isnt fond of Steve and doesnt know if he is aggressive enough to do what needs to be done out there. You have to be a good old boy, assholio, good old boy, jack ass, ball buster, good old boy, dik, all within the same 5 minute conversation in this role. :D Fits me to a T! :D This thing is going to get wierd now I think...

On the relo package, remember you'll have closing costs in both places ... they need to cover both ... plus there's the cost of the actual move itself. I'd guess that there is a minimum cost of $20-25k for this stuff...plus the P.I.T.A. factor of packing up, leaving friends, getting kids in a different school, etc and you'll want something for that ...

Didn't eastern Tennessee support the North in the "War of Northern Aggression "?

Oh, I am sure there were some cowardly traitors over there including that yellow belly scum out of he11, Andrew Johnson. But the entire state of Tennessee seceeded in attempt to throw of the oppressive yolk of tyranny of the federal gobment. You wont find many yankee sympathizers over there now. At least not those who say so in public.

Am I the only one who opened this thread thinking "Dear God, let it be anywhere but New York" (insert your hometown here)?

Those of us north of the Mason-Dixon line were never in any danger of Spain moving in next door.

I dont know if its unethical but it is definitely unprofessional. The problem is that the last year or so, they had a person in that role who really screwed the pooch. Now they are desperate to show that they have a competant person back in place. I think desperate is the key word. This market will need alot of work and they need me, or somebody like me, to fix it.

That said, if they dont make me the right offer, screw them. I wont take it. I am not in a must go situation. Nobody can force me to go there, I dont care what she has been telling folks up there. If they tried to force my hand, I would quit and get a job with our leading competitor by the end of the day. And they know that too. They asked me if I would be interested, and I told them essentially what it will take. Lets see what they come up with. If its not good enough, we negoiate some more. If they cant meet my demands, I stay put. Pretty simple to me.

I don't know what industry you work in, nor do I know anything about your company or your objective value in that company. However, I have made a couple of observations about people and companies during my professional career that may or may not be applicable.

First is that people tend to overestimate their value to the company. Everyone is replaceable. No one does the work of two people. Get over yourself... you're not that special (that's the group 'you' not you specifically, spain).

Second, companies tend to value loyalty and flexibility, with larger companies putting a higher premium on the latter and smaller companies tending to reward the former. One doesn't typically get a lot of opportunities to demonstrate these two properties. This opportunity allows you to be viewed as both loyal and flexible, which could reap large dividends in the future.

My advice is to not overplay your hand, even if you are holding the best cards right now. You obviously need to show that you need to get some recompense for "taking one for the team". However, to come back with more demands after a higher-up has already gone to bat for you to fill your first set of demands likely won't make you many friends. To keep with the poker analogy, you may win this one pot, but you may get yourself uninvited when the next game starts at the big table.