[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

should a double amputee be allowed to compete in the olympics?

Azazello1313

with carbon "feet"  

22 members have voted

1. 1. unfair advantage?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you're saying walking a mile and a half in 5 hours makes you "fatigued"? :D

i actually thought the PGA shoulda let that guy compete with a cart, but i can see why they didn't. in any case, i think that's VERY different from the present situation. i think you'd have to admit that how you get from one shot to another in golf is a little less fundamental to your performance than the entire physical mechanism by which you run is to track.

It's 4.5 miles, not 1.5

And yes, I am saying that playing 18 holes of golf is tiring. Playing 18 holes for 4 days straight would take a considerable amount of energy.

What's the difference between this guy using artificial limbs and me entering the Olympic 100m with a pair of 20 foot stilts?
I don't know about the 100m on stilts part...the times I've been on stilts it makes thing even harder to run. But if the athlete were to enter the long jump or high jump with 20 foot stilts as leg attachments, it obviously would give him an unnatural advantage.

then the other sprinters could cut off their legs and get the prosthetics too. :D

Seriously though, I just don't see how they could deny this person. I am sure there would be some sort of public backlash over it. He would still need to run. It isn't like he would have the legs be poweredby motors.

So should a high jumper be allowed to compete in a high jump with a carbon fiber leg that might give a height advantage then if they had natural legs? Or maybe more spring to the step due to their design?

If doctors or some other type of experts can determine that the artifical legs do not give the athlete an unnatural advantage in any way then I say he probably could. However I don't think that experts would universally agree as to if they did or didn't give an advantage.

I have to ask if you golf, because this statement is inaccurate.

Walking the 7000-8000 yards a day for 4 straight days, standing for hours in whatever weather for 4 days straight takes a toll on a person. Sure, it's not playing a football game, but feet start to ache, backs tighten up, fatigue sets in. Why should one guy get to ride in a cart for the 4 days and not have to deal with these issues?

I work out 6 days a week and despite the MH pictures I provided am actually in pretty good condition, and when I finish walking a round of 18 I am wiped out. After riding 18, no problem. And my shot definitely falls off with fatigue.

Are you implying that a guy who has been diagnosed with a degenerative illness is "fresher" after riding 18 holes than a perfectly healthy man is walking? This is the PGA tour. There are no shortage of guys who are hardly the picture of fitness who manage just fine, so selling me on the fact that the endurance factor of walking is really that important is not going to be easy.

I have no doubt that anyone would be spent after 72 holes of golf, but would suggest that the mental stress of battling a golf course has plenty to do with it. As to your question, I don't golf very often at all (maybe 20-25 times over the last 10 years). I have walked nearly every time. I have never felt particularly exhausted at the end of a round. Little enough that I doubt my stroke would suffer if I was remotely good.

I understand your argument and heard it plenty when this case was going down. I also understand that golf should not want its competitors using a cart during events. I mean, the sport/non-sport argument gets tossed around a lot as it is. Imagine how it would be if dudes were driving from shot to shot. However, claiming that Casey Martin was getting an unfair advantage over the field was a crock. It is likely as tiring for him to walk from the cart to his shot or even stand over that shot for a minute than it is for the rest of us to jog from shot to shot. I really don't see why these guys couldn't handle this sort of thing on a case by case basis.

It's 4.5 miles, not 1.5

And yes, I am saying that playing 18 holes of golf is tiring. Playing 18 holes for 4 days straight would take a considerable amount of energy.

when they do it every single day, and they don't even lug their own clubs (like you probably do on a public course)....sorry, whether it's 1.5 miles or 4.5 miles, it's a leisurely walk in the park at a grueling rate of 1 mile per hour, it's hard for me to see how the resulting "fatigue" is some sort of fundamental challenge to the sport of golf. i don't think it is.

It's 4.5 miles, not 1.5

Hmmm.

I walk nonstop for 8 hours a day, 4 days in a row.

Every week.

Do you all feel sorry for me? :D

when they do it every single day, and they don't even lug their own clubs (like you probably do on a public course)....sorry, whether it's 1.5 miles or 4.5 miles, it's a leisurely walk in the park at a grueling rate of 1 mile per hour, it's hard for me to see how the resulting "fatigue" is some sort of fundamental challenge to the sport of golf. i don't think it is.

Try adding in the beers that start around the 4th hole...

Here'e the problem with this poll...

The question is "Should a double amputee be allowed to compete in the olympics?"

the question above the yes/no answer is "unfair advantage?"

This poll is therefore unscientific and needs to be redone...

Indeed. The thread title clashes with the question.

Here'e the problem with this poll...

The question is "Should a double amputee be allowed to compete in the olympics?"

the question above the yes/no answer is "unfair advantage?"

This poll is therefore unscientific and needs to be redone...

Well, that and Puddy is not an option...

I've got to say no. The next thing you know he's running iinto the pits to swap out springs because he's pushing a little in the corners.

It's 4.5 miles, not 1.5

Maybe you should use a real sport for exercise, then. :D

I mean, the sport/non-sport argument gets tossed around a lot as it is. Imagine how it would be if dudes were driving from shot to shot.

:D NASCAR is considered a sport and those guys don't even get out of there cars - well, every once in a while to cross-train in girly slapfighting.

A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology...Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

bionic woman, this fall nbc.

first look here. don't watch if you want to avoid spoilers, but this thing looks biatching. of course, i was a major steve austin fan.