[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamaica, Cancun, Bahammas?

Skilly

So the SO and I are planning a vacation for next year, and the theme is tropical. We are looking heavily at Jamaica, at one of the all inclusive resorts. Anyone been there recently? Looking for recommendations, advice, pricing, pros, cons.

I've been checking out the travel sites and reading the reviews, but you can't get the kind of honesty like you can right here in the Tailgate!

So the SO and I are planning a vacation for next year, and the theme is tropical. We are looking heavily at Jamaica, at one of the all inclusive resorts. Anyone been there recently? Looking for recommendations, advice, pricing, pros, cons.

I've been checking out the travel sites and reading the reviews, but you can't get the kind of honesty like you can right here in the Tailgate!

I've been to all three. Jamaica would be my first choice, Cancun my second. Bahamas a distant third.

Stayed in a place called the Treehouse in Negril, Jamaica. It was very nice. But that was 11 years ago. Beaches are awesome, and so is the water.

Cancun is more "touristy", but still a lot of fun. Be sure to ask about the beach where you are staying and ask for RECENT pictures. They have had a lot of beach erosion since the hurricane. Last time I was there, some of the beaches had very little sand. I know they spent millions pumping it back on shore, but I've heard it's not working.

Been to the Bahamas once on a cruise. Was not impressed at all.

Bahamas is like part of miami.

Cancun is nice, but I would want to go to jamaica #1 only cuase I have not been there. Instead of cancun, consider cozumel, the water is so awesome everywhere around there.

Agreed. Cozumel is awesome.

honeymooned in jamaica for 2 weeks (1 at sandels negril, 1 at couples ocho rios). liked both... preferred sandels negril. restaurants were better, more beach..... diving was subpar at both spots. there was a place called swept away that we considered...... if we go back we'll stay there.

been to cancun and cozumel........ i really enjoy mexico. when i go back i will likely go somewhere a little north of playa del carmen or tulum. cozumel has developed a lot... many more "junk shops," and cruise lines come in often these days. but cozumel has some of the best diving in the world. cancun reminds me of a miami beach as well. prefer the yucatan to jamaica

have not been to the bahammas

honeymooned in jamaica for 2 weeks (1 at sandels negril, 1 at couples ocho rios). liked both... preferred sandels negril. restaurants were better, more beach..... diving was subpar at both spots. there was a place called swept away that we considered...... if we go back we'll stay there.

been to cancun and cozumel........ i really enjoy mexico. when i go back i will likely go somewhere a little north of playa del carmen or tulum. cozumel has developed a lot... many more "junk shops," and cruise lines come in often these days. but cozumel has some of the best diving in the world. cancun reminds me of a miami beach as well. prefer the yucatan to jamaica

have not been to the bahammas

We've been checking out the Sandals resorts---they seem to be ok. Most of the reviews are positive.

One thing: is it necessary to book really far in advance? Also, is July an ok time to go to the tropics? When it says 'all inclusive" is it really that? All your food and drinks are free at the hotel? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to these things, so I'm looking to be educated.

jamaica was the only time i've ever gone "all inclusive." those places included everything..... booze, food, activities (except tours i believe)..... when you start norrowing down the hotels/resorts you are liking the most, call them directly to see what is and what is not included.... i know some don't include motorized activities (ie: jet skiing, etc), diving, etc. club med restricted you to free bier and wine with meals, but it hink you need beeds to cash in for other drinks throughout the day (i have a friend who worked at club med cancun)...

edit: initially the drinks seemed a little weak, but the bartenders never had a problem adding extra shots...and the fact that you can have as many as you like made up for it......

ahhhhh rum drinks on the beach is sonding pretty good right about now....... not sure about best times to travel, but think that aug/sept are hurricane season...not possitive.

2nd edit: sandels negril was right next to hedonism :D

Edited by Bier Meister

You can go the the Sandals or Couples all-inclusive websites to see what they offer in their packages. I know the couples site offers different pakcages based on resort's location. ie.. Ocho resort includes a tour to Dunn's Falls while the Negril resorts don't.

We will be going at years end. The SO wants to go to Jamaica.

Edited by boat_hacked

I loved my visits to Mexico.

Jamaica was a nasty fetid hole of locals who hated every white person they saw. I wouldn't go back there if you paid me. I saw some disgusting awful crap, and I was only there for 8 hours or so.

Ocho resort includes a tour to Dunn's Falls while the Negril resorts don't.

P.S. Don't go to Dunn's River Falls. 1000 people at once being hustled up the falls by rude aggressive tour guides who then hunt you down and extort a tip for their incredibly bad service. What a scam.

I warned my buddy not to do that on his cruise, but he said, "Oh no... my wife did it once and she said she loved it." After they got back, he said, "Man, did that suck. She said it didn't used to be like that."

Edited by AtomicCEO

you might check into St. Thomas, St. Marten, and Grand Caiman as well.

Grand Cayman, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas are the best hands down. Out of the three you mentioned. Jamaica is okay...just not for very long. I'd try and get an excursion list that Carnival recommends so you can do different stuff and not get hounded by rasta's selling dope. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay We did the Dunnes River Falls. It was again...okay.

Cancun is cool...I'd recommend the Moon Palace for an all inclusive very nice place secluded...or to party the Beach Palace. You can eat at like 8 Palaces in Cancun by staying at any of them. Cancun Palaces main page

If you go to the Bhammas stay at Atlantis. It will cost you but rest assured yer staying at the nicest place in the Bahammas by far. Atlantis...the site is incredible too.

Edited by SuperBalla

Grand Cayman, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas are the best hands down.

Good info here. :D

I don't remember the resort names, but I don't think you can miss at any of these locations. We loved all three.

I loved my visits to Mexico.

P.S. Don't go to Dunn's River Falls. 1000 people at once being hustled up the falls by rude aggressive tour guides who then hunt you down and extort a tip for their incredibly bad service. What a scam.

Good info here. I felt the same way.

Edited by SuperBalla

Jamaica sucks! I've been there twice, the fist time we actually stayed on Jamaica, the second time it was a shore excursion on a cruise. I hated it both times. The people there are very aggressive in trying to sell/scam you. I'll never go back.

Cancun is nice, and the local people are very pleasant. I just got back from the Rivera Maya which is about 1/2 way between Cancun and Cuzemel. I prefer Cuzemel.

If you are going to the virgin islands, I'd suggest you go the BVI's as they seem to be less commercialized than their American counterparts. Peter Island is really nice. You would have to fly in to Tortolla and the ferry across to Peter.

of the 3 i've only been to the bahamas, it was alright. i think the bahams would probably kick ass if you were uber-rich, but for the rest of us, only so-so. i've heard good and bad things about jamaica, more bad than good though. i hear cancun is great if you know what you want to do, and what you want to avoid. if you go and get sucked into the tourist vortex it can be kinda dull. i'm probably going down there next summer for sister in-law's "destination" wedding.

edit: was supposed to be going to cancun this september, but my wife had to go and get knocked up. somehow, my wife thought being 8 months pregnant travelling in mexico wasn't a great idea :D

Edited by Azazello1313

Does Jamaica, St. Marten, Grand Caymen, etc. have the same "don't drink the water" problems that Mexico has?

I think it's always a good idea to drink bottled drinks no matter where you go outside of the U.S. :D